[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>first rap album to win grammy of the year are you excited?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: to pimp a butterfly.jpg (96 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
to pimp a butterfly.jpg
96 KB, 640x640
>first rap album to win grammy of the year

are you excited?
>>
speakerboxxx/the love below already did
>>
>>61251993
that's hip hop (basically pop), not gangsta
>>
>>61251993
And Miseducation but it's only half rap
>>
>>61252022
Exactly, it's a very pc / white album. Some of the style is rap, but none of the ideas are. That's why it was so accepted.
>>
>>61252050
LH is definitely not PC. She gets accused of being a supremacist
>>
>>61252085
She just gets confused (she's cray-cray) and that's just her public persona (tabloid fodder). It's not in her music anywhere.
>>
>>61252014
????
>>
>>61252050
>Miseducation
>white
What exactly is white about it
>>
>>61252014
the fuck is this post? lol you are dumb as fuck. pls just stop listening to hip hop.
>>
Yes.

There isn't a better rap record in the past decade. I can't find an argument that exits besides
>boo boo/I gotta boner pic/this dick ain't free
>kill whitey!
>stolen music!
>overly preachy!
>cultural appropriation!

All of these apply to most good rap at all or simply don't make sense period.

It's an amazing album. Momma and Complexion are probably my two favorite rap songs ever.
>>
>>61253087
>momma
>THAT SLOPPY
why does no one ever bring that up. even the trolls are slacking
>>
>>61251975

>grammy of the year
>>
>>61253150
I always though those parts were amazingly entertaining.

/mu/ doesn't need to over analyze everything. It's a fun fucking album, at times it's hilarious. It just has meaning and soul to back it up.

Not many albums can do both of those things successfully.
>>
>>61251975
I found it very mediocre. Its problems are best displayed on its best song “King Kunta,” which slams so hard with DJ Quik drumblams and a disco-rap bassline to recreate James Brown for 2k15, but all building up to little more than a homage to funk heroes with a sick hook (catchier than Holden on some crazy cliff) and underdeveloped verses. Basically, this track is how I feel about Kendrick at his best – he does throw a thousand great influences together with talented musicians who can make it smooth, a mosaic of beautiful sounds that adds up to no coherence. And he should rap more since he does have flow when he needs to on these verse fragments that we rarely get.

One of his most important and exciting nuances is his narrator/rapper split where you can never be sure how honest his rapping is – might he just be playing a character or an earlier version of himself (as was often his method on his previous rekkerd)? And sometimes this irony can work well. But more often it just creates unsolved confusion for us while we give him an undeserved pass for saying stuff that could end up meaning almost anything just cos meaning almost anything is a virtue no matter how unintentional. “The yams are the powers that be,” but he also has “got the yams,” so who knows how may rapgeniuses it’s gonna take to explain that bit of lyrical contradicting thoughtlessness? Oh, but it’s ironic and dealing with dual-meanings...or something. I find it to be just lazy connections, and it takes me out of that deep groove. And why is “Life…screaming, ‘Annie, are you OK?’” other than to drop in a reference to an inspiration? It sounds cool, but it’s purposeless and inane.
>>
>>61253241
2/2

For how conceptual this album gets credit for being, I see almost no coherence other than loose topics (that many hip hop albums deal with anyhow) with a particular focus on race. I also get that it’s got mass appeal, and high school kids will be blown away, and that’s great – it sounds radical for a mainstream rap album since Kendrick so rarely does rap while still touching on enough elements to be understood by that audience, and he’s legions more self-aware than most rap videos will ever be. (His referenced literature is likewise stuck in a high-school bookroom, which helps. Kids can easily pick up on those Mockingbird parallels and Achebe.) But it’s not getting near The Coup in its politics and mouthful references or Freestyle Fellowship in its jazz-splunk spray or even some mainstream stuff that did get Kendrick level support like Outkast in its funk synthing spirituality. Yes, I’m glad a new generation of 10th graders is hearing something out of their regular mold since it can get massive mainstream appeal and promotion, but it’s not changing anything for me.
>>
>>61253087
>>kill whitey
please give me an example where kendrick expresses this sentiment.
>>
>>61253274
He was talking about /pol/tard memers that can't spew anything but all those memes he greenexted.
>>
>>61253274
Some people look at Wesley's Theory and Blacker the Berry and Mortal Man and say

>pff, typical black rappers exploiting racism to attack white people. It's counter racist racism!

They think this album is like the FEW black people that criticize ALL white people for the FEW white people that criticize ALL black people. They see a double standard towards whites, which is understandable.

But Kendrick obviously isn't preaching anti-whiteness. Just pro-blackness.

I simply believe race doesn't matter. Race just creates problems. I don't think inherent race should be criticized OR celebrated. Some people take this too far and think celebration of race equates to racism.
>>
>>61253274
>i'm black as the heart of an aryan
>>
>>61252014
Top kekerino
>>
>>61253646
When did kendrick say this?
>>
>>61253723
in Blacker the Berry? come the fuck on that's one of the first lines of the second verse
>>
>>61253241
>>61253261
Being contrarian for contrarian's sake is pretty terrible of you, bruh.
>>
doesnt matter because its still a wad of shit
>>
>>61251975
no
>>
>>61253087
>All of these apply to most good rap at all or simply don't make sense period.

that's why those good rap albums are actually shit
>>
>>61251975
This honestly doesn't have a chance among Taylor Swift and The Weeknd's records
>>
>>61253646
Still doesn't mean
>KILLE WHITEY
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.