[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How difficult is it to pass the IRC interview and access what.cd?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 960x540
How difficult is it to pass the IRC interview and access what.cd?
>>
i've never seen the appeal of it, can you explain to me why people go crazy over it?
>>
>>61240520
requires maybe 3-5 years of full-time study and education but its worth it
>>
>>61240560
do you like music?
>>
>>61240604
You can't just say that, what specifically can It do that I currently can't do.
What is the benefit of using it?
>>
>>61240520
not very, read the interview prep site (which you should already be familiar with 90% of it if you're an actual fan of music), then just have an empty day of free time. The interview is really easy if you already know your stuff and have patience.
>>
>>61240623
>What is the benefit of using it?
again, do you like music?
>>
soulseek is better than what.cd
>>
>>61240576
This is an absolutely false statement. Literally any person with the right tools and knowledge base can pass a what.cd interview.

The study guide that they post is VERY similar to the interview. Despite the fact that I have a bachelors degree in Audio Engineering, any person can grasp the concepts of lossy/ lossless audio, audio reformatting, and waveform analysis.

Plus, there are NO listening examples. Half the fucking dinguses on there probably couldn't even tell you the difference between at 320k and FLAC file (with the exception of the group with trained ears).

If you have any questions about audio fidelity or what.cd, I'd be glad to answer them.
>>
>>61240636
holy shit mate, it's just a Bittorrent tracker. How in any way shape or form does that help me enjoy music?
>>
>>61240649
>How in any way shape or form does that help me enjoy music?
dude, it's obvious you don't like music if you can't answer a simple question. Do you like music?
>>
>tfw country is banned from the interview process

That must be how it feels for an Australian to post on the same board as Aaron
>>
>>61240656
Just because someone doesn't have the drive to access a fuck ton of music doesn't deteriorate someone's appreciation of music. You can access music in a lot of different fashions
>>
>>61240643
Lol don't listen to this guy OP. of course it was easy for you if you have a fucking degree in this shit.

OP, if you're serious about getting in then quit your job if you have one. Start reading at least 100 pages a day on the subject. Download protools, audacity, and logic right now. The later you begin the later you get in.
>>
>>61240675
that really doesn't answer the question, and you're justifying your own self-perceived problems. Do you like music?
>>
File: 1444351470322.jpg (40 KB, 492x369) Image search: [Google]
1444351470322.jpg
40 KB, 492x369
>country banned from the interview

>mfw got an invite from another tripfriend

the benefits of being a trip :)
>>
>>61240686
Well of course I like music, and I enjoy high end digital audio. But that doesn't mean I am hampered from appreciating and seeking out music because I don't have access to what.cd
>>
>>61240715
thank you for answering the question. Unfortunately, you're wrong. Because you lack an account, that must mean your taste in music is no where near where it could be. All music that you have access to is inferior both in quality and taste.
>>
failed the interview twice when i had to differentiate between 16-bit and 24-bit FLAC audio samples by ear
>>
>>61240732
Wait, they require you to do that?
>>
>>61240696
Reported to staff. Enjoy the tree ban.
>>
>>61240626
I'm a DJ and have some experience with audio engineering so I already know a good amount about digital audio, I'm just worried about getting hit by a curveball question and having to wait another 48 hours to even get in line and try again
>>
>>61240732
>differentiate between 16-bit and 24-bit FLAC audio samples by ear

>>61240643
>Plus, there are NO listening examples.

uh
>>
>>61240676
Look dude, I don't want to try and bash you or anything but I'm 100% serious in the fact that these concepts are not beyond any musician or music appreciate.

Yes my focus of study was in the subject, but that is because that is my passion and I sought for a career in it. Many of my musician friends who had no IDEA the first thing about audio formatting and analysis picked up on the concepts just by studying the study guide they provide.

I give what.cd interviews because of my skill in audio (once again, not trying to be boastful or anything) and have dealt with many different types of people. With enough time and study, it is a very achievable goal. It is not like you need to quit your life and become some audio freak.
>>
>>61240741
pls no
>>
>>61240732
>>61240748
It depends on the interviewer I suppose. I've never subjected anyone to that.
>>
>>61240756
fuck off not all of us are autistic savants who can differentiate between 16 bit and 24 bit FLAC by ear
>>
>>61240776
Just invest in a decent pair of cans and do the ABX test with various sample types. It's like ear training but not.
>>
>>61240799
Would a set of sennheiser hd25s be ideal for that?
>>
>>61240746
the only curveball you might get is being asked to assign formats in order of quality such as

V2, FLAC, MP3 APX, MP3 192, AAC 256, V8, ALAC
>>
>>61240840
That's exaclty what most people said tripped them up in other forums. How much is the difficulty contingent on the mood of the interviewer?
>>
>>61240729
half that shit is available on rutracker while the rest you can find through the archive and youre pissed off because your special little snowflake syndrome is kicking in and you listen to obscure albums to appear pretentious.

>pass an interview to get music for free
If I wanted to go through all that hassle Id just buy the music
>>
>>61241029
The only one "pissed off" here is you, my friend. Relax. I'm only here to tell you the truth.

Where do you think rutracker gets half of its content? Do you ever read the descriptions?
Where do you think those who upload to the archive get their music? Do you think Sky!request simply has all that music in physical format?

Whether you like it or not, whatcd has all the important & good music in life. What you choose to settle with is not my concern, but it apparently causes you deep internal distress if this is how you choose to reply to me.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 540x540
>>61241094
Get out of my thread
>>
>>61241094
>Where do you think rutracker gets half of its content? Do you ever read the descriptions?

And I care why? Im getting that content eitherway and I dont need to pass an interview to a private tracker to fuel my elitism
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.