[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: bands with only one good member.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
(Pro tip: he is the second to the left)
>>
File: download.jpg (14 KB, 183x275) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14 KB, 183x275
gerard way was the only good member of mcr
>>
>>61230476
drummers pretty good
>>
>>61230665
they would have been shit without ray toro though
>>
>>61230476
They're all good when they're good. I think Rossen was the one who dropped the ball the furthest on Shields though, which is absolutely their worst album since Horn of Plenty. Half Gate was great though.

Rossen is probably the best overall, but I think he's losing touch, and writing more with theory than with any sort of emotion direction. Droste is more emotional, and I think that kept Shields above water, even though it didn't have the highs of YH or V.
>>
>>61231424
Actually, I'm surprised how little I see these guys get talked about here. I suppose it has been a while since they put out something great, but I do think they're pretty talented, at least as much so as Joanna Newsom on YH and V.
>>
>>61231424
I disagree completely. I thought that Sleeping Ute, Sun In Your Eyes, and A Simple Answer were some of the best tracks on Shields.
>>
>>61231951
Newfags
>>
>>61231986
Sleeping Ute was good. A Simple Answer was kind of fun but it was still sort of weak and uneventful compared to his earlier work, and A Simple Answer had moments, but was way too long and meandering. I like ballads, but this one was more interesting than it was visceral. I basically think it's a clever composition that could have been a lot better if he hadn't been so restrained.

For me, the whole album is like a weaker version of Veckatimest. It's still a well written album, but it was a disappointment to hear it coming from them. I know it can be unfair, but context is important, and to hear a subsequent album from a band you consider really great that takes a step down in ambition and inspiration hurts people's perception of it. Especially if it's a step down within the same artistic direction.

Rossen's contributions just lacked any sort of edge (all memes aside) for me, and I found myself appreciating the technique but getting frustrated at how much I feel they held back with experimentation and dynamics.

How do you feel about Shields as compared to Yellow House and Veckatimest?
>>
>>61232217
>>61231986
>>61231424

Hello r/indieheads. Please kill yourselves
>>
>>61232215
Are you saying I'm a newfag for thinking they're good, or they aren't talked about because newfags weren't around when they were more relevant? I know they used to get attention here, but compared to their contemporaries like AnCo and Joanna Newsom, I'm just surprised that they're pretty much never mentioned anymore.
>>
>>61232239
If you can't appreciate some of their earlier stuff you're a fucking retard, they're great.
>>
>>61232217
>How do you feel about Shields as compared to Yellow House and Veckatimest
It's my least favorite of the three (with Yellow House being my favorite), but I honestly had some problems with Veckatimest as well. There were a few tracks that felt like throwaways (About Face, Hold Still), songs that were really great but maybe stuck around too long (Cheerleader) as well as not being as hard-hitting as the live versions (While You Wait for the Others). Foreground also did nothing for me, honestly, but I know that's an unpopular opinion. I admire that Grizzly Bear are such perfectionists and put a lot of effort in their work, but at times the production on Veckatimest felt TOO clean - making it feel sterile at points imo. The high points were so high that I was able to overlook many of these problems, however.

I actually have the same issues with Shields as you do, but it's kind of the opposite. The Hunt felt a bit like a longer, Foreground rehash; Adelma was nice but sorta useless and unneeded, and Yet Again was killer but could have done with a minute and a half of time shaved off. I actually do agree with A Simple Answer being too meandering - four minutes or so would have sufficed and I'm not really a big fan of the songs bridge. It was a bit of a step back, but I don't think it was as big of a disappointment as some people do. I was happy that parts of it seemed a bit rough around the edges.
>>
Any band Todd Smith (Dog Fashion Disco, Polkadot Cadaver, etc.) is in.
>>
>>61230476
I had assumed Ryan Ross was the "good member" of Panic at the Disco because he was responsible for their one good album, but then i listened to the album he made after he left

i'm now convinced Pretty Odd was simply an accident
>>
>>61232475
I think YH and Veckatimest are about equal for me. I really think About Face is underrated, it has the juggling of two different time signatures, the excellent guitar work in the latter half, and I really love the "For one!" embellishment echos at the end too, and I think it progresses gradually enough to keep the pacing interesting. I get the impatience for Hold Still, that's basically how I feel about Sun In Your Eyes. But when it's got Southern Point, Two Weeks, All We Ask, Ready, Able, and one of my favorites by them I Live With You, I think it ties with Yellow House. I don't really mind Foreground, especially as a closer. I think it does the same thing as SIYE, but it's a little more concise, and the last bit with the choir is great.

I hope they put more energy and ideas into their next effort, and I agree, they should allow it to get a bit messier at times.
>>
This thread is proof of the disgusting Reddit infilitration
>>
>>61232364
Please
Go back
To Reddit
>>
File: talking-heads.jpg (136 KB, 600x526) Image search: [Google]
talking-heads.jpg
136 KB, 600x526
>>
>>61232756
can't talk about music on /mu/
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 467x441) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 467x441
The guy to the right got fucked out of royalties and their replacement lead guitarist was a bitch and only did what the guy in the blue told him to do. The band went downhill once they kicked matt sharp out.
>>
>>61232994
> passive aggressive edgy responses
> misses the point entirely in the process

Oh my god
>>
>>61232756
>>61232799
Dude I totally agree like man I am also mad that so many reddit-tors are on 4chan. I also miss the le old 4chan, and also le old memes, damn those normans on OUR website!
>>
>>61233083
You fucking Reddit drones are so dense

This whole thread has had nothing but faceless characterless overly long aimless and pointless responses

Posts like
>>61232653
>>61232475
are so ridiculously long while saying so little not to mention most of it is just fantano droning using empty terms that ultimately mean nothing

You're not hated because you're just "too smart" or "actually discuss music", go back to Reddit you stupid teenager
>>
>>61233171
post more memes please
>>
Thomas Pridgen in that one side band he did with that female singer. I was pretty hyped when I first heard their stuff, but with each song, my hype turned to disgust.
>>
File: 502002773_87dbac927b_b.jpg (332 KB, 1024x822) Image search: [Google]
502002773_87dbac927b_b.jpg
332 KB, 1024x822
Front man was better and far more talented.
>>
File: 10849584524.jpg (84 KB, 610x458) Image search: [Google]
10849584524.jpg
84 KB, 610x458
>>
>>61233171
you're an idiot
>>
>>61231286
this
>>
>>61232977
i agree, Tina's great
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.