[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone else think music has gotten "simpler" over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
File: karl-pilkington-net-worth.jpg (20 KB, 300x399) Image search: [Google]
karl-pilkington-net-worth.jpg
20 KB, 300x399
Does anyone else think music has gotten "simpler" over the years not because people are getting dumber, but because of other technology?

With classical music, you have to really pay attention to it to understand what's going on, or else it's just a bunch of random notes. Sometimes, when I play classical music in the background, it just stays as background music and doesn't take my attention. Now for pop and rap music, it really grabs your attention. And even if your attention is gone for a moment to read 4chan posts, usually they play that part in the song again because the music is usually very repetitive.

Most people don't have the time to just sit down and pay attention to just the music anymore. We have to keep up our internet social lives and with the latest news and trends. People can't get into into classical music not because they're plebs. We just can't give time to classical music. But for pop and rap music, it lets us explore the information age while getting into a cool beat or melody. And that's why it's here to stay as the only type of music.
>>
>>61230289
>People can't get into into classical music not because they're plebs. We just can't give time to classical music.
great explanation for why rock became more popular music tard
the real reason is that just the same as hip hop today Whites can't bear being White and so they appropriate the "cool" Black culture and shed the "lame" White culture (classical music, fine literature, opera, etc.)
>>
File: 1362468795944.png (13 KB, 523x497) Image search: [Google]
1362468795944.png
13 KB, 523x497
>comparing modern pop music which is made to appeal to the masses to classical music which was commissioned by the rich ruling class
>>
>>61230332
>whites appropriate the culture of everyone they dominate :^)
>>
>>61230332
>classical music, fine literature, opera, etc

but all of this was invented by black people...
>>
>>61230449
I mean they do.
"White" culure is what the old fogies are doing while the appropriated culture is new and underappreciated.
People in general like being underdogs and liking Rock music was akin to that, Hip Hop music today.
>>
>>61230289
Pop music was always simpler but with everything the mainstream is obviously watered down/inferior version.There are people who still do complex and long music and technology actually helps even more because with it you have infinite ways of doing music.
>>
>>61230452
obvious b8 but all of those are 100% white created
>>
>>61230473
Not that guy but they don't since it's an exchange of people's ideas and what not.
>>
>>61230289
>comparing art music to pop music.
Shut it you roundy headed twat.
>>
>>61230540
what are you saying
are you saying kids don't like to rebel against their parents' ideals
>>
>>61230502
obvious racism but all of those are 100% white supremacists created
>>
>>61230570
I'm saying "whites don't dominate any culture".
Reread if you don't understand.
>>61230540
Although I know who'd try to deny it.
>>
>1960: music starts; classical music with Chopin, Bethoven, Elvis Presley
>1970: rock music is created by the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Aerosmith
>1980: metal music starts with Linkin Park, Metalica, Disturbed
>1990/2000: punk rock settles in with Blink 182, Ramons, Nirvana
>2010's: music starts getting shit with Justin Bieber Kane West and Nick Minaj and Animal Collective

What the fuck happened?
>>
>>61230618
>I'm saying "whites don't dominate any culture"
>whites didn't dominate african-americans from Revolution to 1960's
lol
>>
>>61230656
1910=music started
>>
>>61230656
>Kane West
hey don't diss PC Music
>>
>>61230289
More people should really "compose" electronic albums, like they did symphonies and whatever. Something like R Plus Seven but even more complex and intricate. I would "pay" for that in a minute.
>>
>>61230670
t. white supremacist
And literally what the fuck is revolution.
You autists need to realize that slavery has been a part of every people's history, not just America's.
Also even African-American people would have their own.
>>
>>61230711
Nevermind slavery has been in America's history since the foundation.
Along with indentured servants.
>>
>>61230711
>>61230728
Slavery was predominately of africans (predominately blacks) and every effort was done to repress, specifically, blacks of their rights following the Civil War
>>
>>61230748
>Slavery was predominately of africans
Can I get a citation of this?
>>
>>61230774
we're talking about America, do you need one?
obvs there were white slaves as I said, but they were a small minority
these whites were also not subjected to Jim Crow
>>
>>61230798
Ah okay I thought you were talking worldwide.
>>
>>61230289
If you really payed attention to classical music you'd know it's also pretty repetitive, it's just repetitive in different ways.

There's a focus on composing with intervals and using the same patterns over and over in different keys
>>
>>61230820
nah man I wouldn't be that rash
but blacks were repressed in America. that made them and their culture "underdog-like" and certainly taboo for the white norms of society
so when you had Rosa Parks happen people began to believe more in the value of black culture and thus you had more interest and goes from there
personally I think classical music is infinitely more valuable and interesting than literally any album of rock music, but we shouldn't pretend that rock music had its value
>>
>>61230856
m8 do you know the slightest bit about sonata, rondo, ritornello, etc. forms?
not nearly as repetitive as rock/popular music
>>
File: Thelonious-Monk-008.jpg (770 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Thelonious-Monk-008.jpg
770 KB, 2048x1536
Jazz blew classical out of the water tbqh
>>
mozart was pop in his time
>>
>>61230908
Nah, ur just a plebe
>>
>>61230934
actually Mozart was considered overly erudite compared to his contemporaries and his music too difficult
>>
>>61230908

this
>>
>>61230908
>>61231209
Go on: explain how.
>>
>>61231275

read a book
>>
>>61231329
So you have no justification yourself?
>>
>>61231402

I don't have the time to write you an essay on how jazz surpasses classical artistically.
>>
>>61231428
Usually I find it only takes me three lines to explain a point
either you know it and can explain it or not pleb
>>
>>61231445

>jazz is more diverse
>jazz was more influential
>jazz is more soulful (this was thanks to it being primarily made by blacks)
>jazz is more experimental
>>
>>61231483

you fucking idiot
>>
>>61231483
dumbass
>>
>>61231483
>(Not true, by the way)
But I do prefer Jazz, I think it's more spontaneous.
>>
>>61230289
That's kinda misplacing what classical music was throughout the years. A lot of it was just used as background music or as a status item for the wealthy.

It has nothing to do with how busy people are but instead how accessible music is imo and believe it or not that actually does have some artistry and craftsmanship attached so pbtbtbtbt
>>
>>61230289
>Shitposting and racism
Now this is the 4chan I'm used to. I can't tell whether or not everyone in this thread is baiting or just retarded.

>>61230705
Read The Wire more dingus.
>>
Jazz is the master genre
>>
>>61230289
>Now for pop and rap music, it really grabs your attention

Your concentration is very weak. Don't blame the music for your faults.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.