[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/Dylan/ thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 950x534
Why does no one on mu ever talk about Dylan?

>Favourite Dylan album?
>Favourite Song?
>Favourite 3 album streak
>>
>>61219227
I'll start

>album Blonde on Blonde
>It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)
>Beinging It All Back Home - Highway 61 Revisited - Blonde on Blonde
>>
Because we've already all gone through our Dylan phase and talked about him then
>>
>Live at Carnegie Hall 1963
>I'm Not There
>Highway 61 Revisited - Blonde on Blonde - John Wesley Harding
>>
File: 51IqyR3Wb3L.jpg (47 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
51IqyR3Wb3L.jpg
47 KB, 500x499
good shit right here
>>
THEY STONE YOU WHEN YOU TRYNA BE SOO GOOD
>>
I've been loving Another Self Portrait recently. Wild Mountain Thyme is easily my favorite off of that, probably one of his best vocal performances ever from a "normal" point of view.
>>
Blonde On Blonde
Stuck Inside Of Mobile or 115th Dream
BIABH, Highway 61, Blonde On Blonde
>>
>>61219227
Because I don't like Bob Dylan Tbh
Is there any point in listening to his music besides MUH LYRICS MUH INFLUENCE
>>
>>61219527
yes and i highly doubt you've listened to much of his music if you think it's all about the lyrics considering the quality of the musicianship on his recordings

>is there any reason to listen to *band that's just just about lyrics but features great lyrics* besides MUH LYRICS
how dumb you sound
>>
>>61219570
Yes of course somebody instantly has to shit on me because I don't like something they like
I've listened to three of his albums
While they are not bad or anything I just don't see anything very interesting musically
Honestly I'd much rather listen to experimental music like Death Grips; Radiohead; Animal Collective; at least it's not mind numbingly boring
>>
File: bobdylan1.jpg (101 KB, 741x900) Image search: [Google]
bobdylan1.jpg
101 KB, 741x900
Literally just finished Blonde on Blonde, what are the chances. Just starting Blood on the Tracks, BotT took me a little while to get into, his lyrics aren't as abstract as other albums, their narrative style put me off for a while, but I love it now, along with the newfound control Bob has on his voice along with fucking immaculate production.
>Fav. Album
Blonde on Blonde
>Fav. Song
Bob Dylan's Dream
>Fav. 3 album streak
Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde, John Wesley Harding.
I've never warmed much to BIABH, although Gates of Eden is bloody powerful.
>>
>>61219227
/mu/ talks about Dylan everyday. Lurk more.
>>
>>61219570
>quality of the musicianship on his recordings
look at this joker with a fedora hat on
>>
>>61219620
this is a discussion thread

you dont have to turn it into bait/le trole because someone disagrees with you

btw i appreciate dylan mostly for his colourful storytelling
>>
The thing about Dylan is that if you trace his influences, which reach considerably further than just Woody Guthrie, Hank and Johnson, is that it can open hundreds of doors in music.
>>
>>61219620
>experimental music like Death Grips; Radiohead; Animal Collective; at least it's not mind numbingly boring

lol.
>>
>>61219706
He had some of the best nashville musicians on some of his albums, listen to Nashville Skyline Rag, you can hear the technical proficiency of the musicians
>>61219728
I still need to check out people like guthrie, I'm pretty ignorant of that side of music
>>
>Why does no one on mu ever talk about Dylan?
>Why does no one on mu ever talk about Pink Floyd?
>Why does no one on mu ever talk about Radiohead?
>Why does no one on mu ever talk about Led Zeppelin?
>Why does no one on mu ever talk about the Beatles?
>>
>>61219780
Check out this page:
http://inflooenz.com/?experiment=1&utm_expid=56185902-5.8HPpmPyaR5K6HvUP9jIt4w.1&artist=Bob+Dylan&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Finflooenz.com%2F%3Fexperiment%3D1%26artist%3DBruce%2BSpringsteen%26submit%3DSearch

Also, if you like Dylan and want to hear people he influenced who made similar music, check out Townes Van Zandt.
>>
>>61219821
that's an awesome site thanks! And i'll be sure to check him out.
>>
What are the best Bootleg series albums? Want some to check out.
>>
>>61219855
All of the live ones are worth checking out.
>>
>>61219855
I've got the complete Basement Tapes, which is an interesting document of a certain time in his life at least, and his 1966 live album at the Albert Hall is brilliant. I'd be interested in hearing the 12th one, with the sessions from Blonde on Blonde.

Also if anyone here likes The Basement Tapes but maintains that Self Portrait is a bad album is a bloody sheep and a hypocrite.
>>
>>61219620
If you think Death Grips or Animal Collective are anywhere near as good as Dylan then thats funny.
>>61219780
The whole Nashville Skyline album is worth listening to just to hear his country voice.

>Highway61
>Desolation Row
>Highway 61 Revisited - Blonde on Blonde - John Wesley Harding
>>
So what Bob voice does everyone like the most?

>Thin, reedy solo acoustic voice

>Smokier highway/blonde on blonde vocals

>Hillbilly Nashville Skyline/Self Portrait vocals

>Slightly cracked but powerful Blood on the Tracks/Desire vocals

>Tom Waits "Oh Mercy" growl, which he has maintained then on.

My personal favourite is his vocals on Highway 61 Revisited, it's the perfect median between reediness and smokiness. It's a little too droll on BoB and a little too shrill on BiaBH.
>>
bomp
>>
>>61220036
Times They Are A Changing era folky dylan vocals.
>>
>>61220036
Blood on The Track vocal era is my favourite for his vocals, although I much prefer his electric era
>>
What's his most underrated album? My vote goes to New Morning.
>>
>>61219821
Leadbelly -> Dylan -> U2

Dear me
>>
>>61220653
His late 80s / early 90s output is underrated. New Morning is a great album though.
>>
>>61220653
World Gone Wrong
>>
Blonde on Blonde is best album
Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands is best song
>>
>>61220857
Haven't heard much from that era, recommend something?
>>
>>61220891

This: >>61220865 and Oh Mercy.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.