[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ian Cohen on LCDSS: >"If LCD Soundsystem were only r
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
Ian Cohen on LCDSS:
>"If LCD Soundsystem were only responsible for three albums that are half-filler and a "workout mix" made by people who clearly don't go to the gym — for people who don't go to the gym themselves — they wouldn't be on this list. No, they deserve special mention for the critical crusade to pass James Murphy off as indie rock's preeminent male role model in spite of, nay, because of his worldview which remains as rigid and obnoxious as Toby Keith's. It is, roughly, that music achieved perfection in 1977, no one outside of New York City is important, and your interaction with credibility and its overseers is a bigger concern than learning how not to be an insufferable, self-obsessed jerk. In other words, LCD Soundsystem fans are the type of people who think buying their 10-year old kid a Public Image Ltd. record for his birthday is an example of good parenting."
http://www.laweekly.com/music/top-20-worst-bands-of-all-time-the-complete-list-2403868
Why does anyone listen to this hack?
>>
I thought it was general consent that laweekly was a complete joke?
>>
>>61213106
consent to this, bitch

*unsheates penis*
>>
>>61213106
Yeah but Ian Cohen writes for p4k
>>
>>61213040

>implying we do
>>
LCD Soundsystem is terrible though.

It's like what people who have never been to a party imagine what "party music" sounds like.

It's just cringe in every sense of the word.
>>
10 year old me would have loved Metal Box
>>
>>61213142
shitfork is a joke too, grow up
>>
>>61213200
I don't listen to p4k, but people on this board take it seriously
>>
>>61213040

Honestly LCD sucks shit aside from a half dozen tracks.

I feel embarrassed for Hot Chip's guitarist for being a part of that.
>>
>>61213040
45:33 was created because LCDS was hired by Nike to do the track.

What does the personality or worldviews of James Murphy have to do with his music? A good amount of his lyrics are intentionally pretentious and satirical. Ian seems to name LCD Soundsystem as a bad band because his believes James is a bad person, but bad people could easily make good music. Besides, LCDS is more than just James, Pat and Nancy are also members as well as a couple others, abeit James was the main songwriter.
>>
>>61213152
no, it's what they WANT party music to sound like, as most music played at parties is utter shit
>>
>>61213152
>>61213436
ive been to parties where LCD is played
>>
>>61213152
Factually incorrect
>>61213278
It's more than a half dozen
>>
>>61213436
This
>>
>giving any kind of fucks about anybody that writes for p4k

Into the fucking trash you fucking idiot. Pitchfork is complete and utter garbage, literally gives scores based on the "hype" surrounding them, none of them have the balls to pan something popular or praise something nobody has heard of, a complete fucking joke.

>inb4 but they panned popular LCD

By popular I mean young thug and drake and shit. LCD is popular but I don't think they've ever been prominently played on the radio.
>>
File: low.jpg (27 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
low.jpg
27 KB, 400x400
>>61213040
But music did achieve perfection in 1977. Pic related is the greatest album ever made.
>>
>>61213593
Not to mention p4k praised all of LCD's albums heavily when they came out
>>
play teh hits :^)
>>
>>61213338
I agree, Ian Cohen probably listened to Losing My Edge and thought he was complaining about kiddos the whole time, when he was clearly just pointing out his descent into irrelevancy, or at least the irrelevancy of his taste. James Murphy might say music peaked in '77 but I bet he'd agree that most would disagree
>>
>>61213598
Not even in his top 5
>>
>>61213636
Lmao yes so true take this shit back to Reddit so we can have more dance Gavin dance threads am I rite brosef?
>>
>>61213598
Also an influence on LCD. A good chunk of their catalog is an homage to Eno/Bowie and Bowie/Pop, among other things. That scores points in my book.
>>
>We love funk, we love metal, but we also love peanut butter and veggie burgers, just not together.

lmao fucker's never had a peanut butter burger i only have pity for the poor fool
>>
>>61213040
>because of his worldview which remains as rigid and obnoxious as Toby Keith's
What exactly is his "worldview?" Not surprised that someone from Pitchfork would bring someone's personal beliefs into music criticism, though.
>>
>>61213766
but peanuts are veggies
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.