[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Forget Spirit of Eden/Laughing Stock. This invented Post Rock
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: 51pcq+tS4sL.jpg (36 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51pcq+tS4sL.jpg
36 KB, 500x500
Forget Spirit of Eden/Laughing Stock. This invented Post Rock 10 years before. If you haven't heard it you really should.
>>
Haven't heard it, but 90% of ECM albums are nothing short of brilliant.

Would be a nice if you posted a link though, faglord.
>>
>>61211850
https://mega.nz/#!ohw2CbCQ!TfHLjciswAgltJzAobaqgSn2uyReu0yYvtJmf68KoYA
>>
sounds neat - i'll check it out

>>61211850
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyh2MnoVjPQ
>>
>>61211882
That's a different album mate
>>
>>61211850
>90% of ECM albums are nothing short of brilliant.
Strange. I've always felt like most of the ECM catalog is too safe/unadventurous and "yuppie" for my tastes.
>>
>>61211903
oh wow i'm dumb

(this shit's still pretty good tho)
>>
>>61211941
Yeah here's a sampler
https://youtu.be/HiZ6YuIrj54
>>
>>61211850
This. ECM is the definition of a absolute God-tier label.
>>
>>61211933
I can't hear you over the sound of The Jewel in the Lotus
>>
>>61211933
I feel the opposite.

ECM is pursuing the final frontier. It's what jazz should sound like, instead of squeaking and squawking horns.
They have lots of really experimental and out there stuff that they release.
Also, they have more of a focus on composition instead of improvisation, which is refreshing.
And really branch out by releasing lots of modern classical and "world music" albums.

And I can see where OP might feel that way.
I've heard elements of post-rock in other albums they released from the 70s and 80s.

But that's just me.
Also, thanks for the link.
>>
File: extensions[1].jpg (65 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
extensions[1].jpg
65 KB, 600x600
>>61211933
>ECM
>Safe
>Unadventurous
>Yuppie
honestly what the fucking fuck its like you have no idea what any of those words mean and/or have barely heard ANY ECM material
>>
File: c0b.jpg (59 KB, 648x1000) Image search: [Google]
c0b.jpg
59 KB, 648x1000
>post about this the other day
>see this thread today
>>
In a Silent Way came earlier
>>
>>61212123

>In a Silent Way
>post rock

That's a pretty big stretch.
>>
File: 1440455739247.jpg (8 KB, 182x226) Image search: [Google]
1440455739247.jpg
8 KB, 182x226
this is some good shit

thanks op

>>61212094
>
>>
>>61212123
uh........ the rite of spring came first
>>
>>61212024
>squeaking and squawking horns
lol
>>
Post Rock literally wouldn't exists without Perotin
>>
Miroslav is such a good bassist. Ill listen to anything he plays on.
>>
>>61212200
Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?
>>
>>61212225
i disagree m8
>>
>>61211996
That's fine. Good record.
>>61212024
I like your reasoning though I prefer "squawking horns".
>>61212056
I own a lot of albums on ECM. Some I love (like records from AEoC, Miroslav Vitous, Arvo Part, Bill Frisell, Reich's Music for 18 Musicians... Hell, I even like the Metheny Group records and Bright Size Life) and ones I loathe (Eberhard Weber [though I enjoy some of his session work], all that other trite Metheny's done, Enrico Rava [why do I own these again? snooze...], Mark Isham...). I barely care about Dave Holland.
>>
>>61212384
Listen to this and it might be another ECM album you enjoy to add to the collection.
>>
>>61211823
>>61211882
>>61211996
>>61212123
>Talk Talk
>Rypdal Vitous DeJohnette
>Jewel in the Lotus
>In a Silent Way
literally meme fusion: the thread.
>>
>>61212477
Give us some non-meme fusion then, Oh Based One
>>
>>61212384
I don't see how you could "barely" care about Dave Holland considering that he's been putting together ensembles of incredible musicians for the past 40 years, but I can say that there is so much brilliant shit on ECM that you didn't include, from people like John Abercrombie, Jan Garbarek, and Don Cherry, etc.. ECM is a label that has put out so much shit, being around for 40 years, that it's almost absurd to judge it by the more than a few clunkers and Metheny's swill.

I don't even think that Frisell put out a lot of very good stuff on ECM compared to his Nonesuch releases, and I could care less about Weber or Rava considering the size of the ECM roster.
>>
>>61212524
Flying Lotus, Nujabes
>>
>>61212056
>"Extensions should please any Holland fan, and is an agreeable and non-threatening jumping in point for the curious."

Lol
>>
>>61212637
There are Abercrombie records I own and enjoy as well. I didn't feel like namedropping everything ECM in my collection. I wouldn't be able to recall it all off the top of my head. Garbarek does nothing for me, and for Frisell, I could say the same about Cherry. I've yet to hear any of his ECM efforts but I doubt it compares to what he did for BYG/Actuel. I'm not avoiding them though. I personally just don't champion ECM as some sort of bastion of quality jazz. I've experienced too many "clunkers". Sadly you can't stroll into your average record store and acquire something from the admittedly brilliant face of ECM. To me the prevailing personality of ECM is yuppie jazz. You shouldn't be so "annoyed".
>>
music can only be experimental if it is harsh
>>
>>61212971
(Not true btw)
>>
>>61212984
NO YOU ARE DUMB
I'VE LISTENED TO EVERY ALBUM EVER THEREFORE I KNOW
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (104 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
104 KB, 1440x1080
Posting in an ECM thread.

Some Eberhard Weber
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05DTXHs3k1c
>>
>>61212179
witty
>>
>>61212839
i think being curious about dave holland implies a certain familiarity with modern jazz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyw-kurG-4U

>>61212914
>you can't stroll into your average record store and acquire something from ECM
Luckily, you no longer have to. you should check out Cherry's duets with Blackwell on ECM from a recording called El Corazon. I find that Eicher's recording techniques really do bring out something special from artists who could have been reduced to doing novelty acts in the 80s and 90s, and managed to give some of the most important acts of that time period a platform to produce music in a much less superficial and image-driven context. To compare ECM to earlier similar labels like BYG or later ones like Soul Note kind of misses the significance of ECM as a long-term jazz institution that provides an important medium for "established" musicians rather than an outgrowth of artistic creativity with transient relevance. I think that focusing on the amount of yuppie jazz that has been released on ECM is an expression of your personal perspective rather than an accurate assessment of the label's contributions to the art form since 1970.

>>61214276
did i make an accidental joke? i was just making fun of him for latching on to a random album and associating it with a meaningless journalist term from 30 years later
>>
>>61212679
the "born in the right generation" meme
>>
Inb4 avant math God flips out
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.