[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/jazz/ - Jazz General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 21
File: Sidewinder.jpg (242 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Sidewinder.jpg
242 KB, 1000x1000
Been a while since we've had one of these.

What have you been enjoying recently? Favorites from the year? Your favorite overlooked albums? Or just talk about whatever jazz you want.
>>
Love that album op

actually I dont really love it but I find it really catchy

desu I find liking most of the jazz I listen to
>>
Eric Dolphy or Ornette Coleman?

Who should I listen to right now?
>>
>>61181375
I'm personally more of a Dolphy fan than a Coleman fan but you can't really go wrong either way.
>>
all I want to know is where the scheduled weekly /blindfold/ -thread is. I have my comments all ready to go. >:(
>>
Dolphy is the shit. Coleman is cool, but I don't know all that much of his stuff and Dolphy's solos just make me want to tear shit up.
>>
File: sooth.jpg (92 KB, 390x205) Image search: [Google]
sooth.jpg
92 KB, 390x205
>>61181209
This album, because it's more or less Miles Smiles with extra horn action and because the first half just explodes forward nonstop and then you have a perfect ballad and a fun relaxing outro. Getting that rhythm section paired up with Spaulding, Tyner, Hubbard - who are all just such punchy players - is perfect.
>>
>>61181375

I think early slightly rigid post-bop Dolphy is best, love Outward Bound and Out There, but Coleman always owns whatever he's playing.

Fuck it, Dolphy.

Can anyone recommend a good starting place for Joe Henderson because I've listened to Sidewinder and I think his playing style is really cool - kind of loose and cool but can still rip when he wants to.
>>
>>61182472
>Joe Henderson
I was just listening to Inner Urge earlier today, and I dunno if it's necessarily a good starting place, but it definitely has plenty of that playing style. It's crazy the sort of range Henderson has - the sessions for Idle Moments were either side of the session for Black Fire and he didn't hit a wrong note.
>>
File: folder.jpg (302 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
302 KB, 1200x1200
all that energy
>>
>>61181375
>Eric Dolphy or Ornette Coleman?
don't do that to me, man
>>
>>61177627
posted this in an other thread but here you go, my favourite overlooked jazz albums from this year:

Ballister - Worse for the Wear
Pulverize The Sound - s/t
The Engines - Green Knights
Chicago Reed Quartet - Western Automatic
Atomic - Lucidity
Hieroglyphic Being - We Are Not The First
Kolega Doriana - s/t
>>
>>61182777
why tons of stuff missing from what.cd
>>
>>61182472
Henderson is also based as fuck on Songs for My Father. Solo, I've only heard Mode for Joe, and it's a good one. Page One is also supposed to be great.
>>
>>61182387
Damn, that sounds right up my alley. I'm gonna have to give that a listen.
>>
>>61181209
>they spelled Bob Crenshaw's name wrong

>>61181375
Ornette Coleman- Ornette!

>>61183336
You haven't listened to Inner Urge yet?
>>
>>61183201
all of them are on soulseek
>>
File: Giant Steps.jpg (528 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
Giant Steps.jpg
528 KB, 1500x1500
Can someone give me an ELI5 of what makes this album so significant? I've been really enjoying it lately but I don't know anything about music theory/feel like I can't appreciate it's influence fully. I get that it's where his whole "sheets of sound" technique was created but that's about it.

Sorry for the pleb question, just curious.
>>
>>61182710

All noted, thanks man.

>>61183336

Songs for My Father, whose he playing with?
>>
Self bump
>>
>>61183866

A quick summary? A really tight rhythm section (although not always the same one) playing with an incredibly talented soloist who was playing only self composed pieces and the cherry on top:

It was fast. Maybe faster than any other mainstream jazz player had ever played, particularly on the saxophone. And it wasn't just fast and safe scale/chord tones/arpeggios. It was abstract harmonies and tonalities, chords changes that hadn't been heard before and barely a dropped note anywhere on the album (from Coltrane at least).
>>
>>61181375

Dolphy is less "significant" but is "better".
>>
>>61183998
>Songs for My Father
That's a Horace Silver album, and Joe is the tits on it. There's so many classic Blue Note albums that he was part of. His stuff as sideman kind of eclipses his leader dates to be honest, at least in terms of impact.
>>
>>61184223
Thank you, that's a solid summary. Is there any way you could explain what chord changes were new? Or would that be too complicated? Thanks for the help regardless
>>
File: johnzornc.jpg (51 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
johnzornc.jpg
51 KB, 500x500
Love Zorn's stuff. He put out a new Dreamers album, he formed a group, Simulacrum, which put out 3 albums this year, and that Dreamers Christmas album is perfect for the season.
>>
File: cover.jpg (134 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
134 KB, 600x600
After listening to this and Black Saint I've realised that really dense, horn heavy jazz arrangements are my total jam. Can anyone recommend anything else in the same vein?

The recurring motif that first appears around 6:40 of Hotel Overture is one of the best things I've heard in a while.
>>
>>61186090
Not an expert on harmony by any stretch, but Giant Steps was pretty much the defining piece for "Coltrane changes" which basically involve key modulations through thirds. The relatively short head goes through three different keys and the choruses follow suit.
>>
>>61187084
Sweet, thank you. I've been wondering about this for a while. I'll have to read some more about it to fully grasp it but I appreciate your explanation.
>>
>>61181209
My faith in /mu is restored
>>
File: Avishai Cohen - Continuo.jpg (486 KB, 1644x1482) Image search: [Google]
Avishai Cohen - Continuo.jpg
486 KB, 1644x1482
>>61181375
John Coltrane or Miles Davis? I know they're different, just asking which works do you prefer
Also, listening to pic related.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaJTbhYTw4k
>>
File: blues and roots.jpg (18 KB, 355x353) Image search: [Google]
blues and roots.jpg
18 KB, 355x353
One of my favorite Mingus albums, also includes the best version of Moanin'.
>>
>>61187052
If you want it to be tense too I recommend you The London Jazz Composers' Orchetra - Ode
>>
what about Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers With Thelonious Monk?
>>
File: Art Blakey - Mosaic.jpg (202 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
Art Blakey - Mosaic.jpg
202 KB, 1000x1000
>>61190135
that's one of my favourites by the Jazz Messengers
>>
What is some good jazz to listen while on a shrooms trip? Bump.
>>
>>61191036
I listened to The Black Saint and The Sinner Lady while on a shrooms trip once
>>
>>61182300
diy bro
it's not hard to hit the archive and copypaste

I'd do it if I had more knowledge and interest but right now I'm just listening to what I want and getting to know the greats. Maybe in a few months I'll be on board. I did write up a complete thing once but I was like nah it ain't me

it ain't me
>>
>>61182300
sometimes other jazz trips launch the /blindfold/ when jtg can't
>>
Can someone rec me anything? I want to listen to something.

My favorite album is Out to Lunch
>>
>>61192452
Tim Berne's Snakeoil- You've Been Watching Me
>>
someone rec me something mingus-esque.
>>
>>61193589
nothing will ever come close
>>
>>61193802
:(
>>
File: Mingus Ah Um.jpg (57 KB, 527x536) Image search: [Google]
Mingus Ah Um.jpg
57 KB, 527x536
This is a nice chill album.

So when will my taste stop mirroring a Jazz essential chart?
>>
File: TheDuke.jpg (72 KB, 620x787) Image search: [Google]
TheDuke.jpg
72 KB, 620x787
>Duke Ellington & Billy Strayhorn - Tonk
It's been stuck in my head the last few days. I don't care what your level or taste is - if you haven't heard this yet, you've just got to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l72CIF3PJ-U
It's got such drive to it. With that "latin tinge" to it, it sounds like a precursor to Bud Powell's Un Poco Loco (though he gets that effect with just two hands on one piano - Max Roach on drums, Curley Russell on bass):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l72CIF3PJ-U
I also feel sure that Miles was referencing that first piece with his 1970 piece Honky Tonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Urnn75QKCQM
after all,
>he loved him madly
>>
Hey /jazz/ can you help name this chord?

>With an Eb root: Eb Bb Eb G B D F#
>With an Ab root: Ab Eb Ab C E G B
>>
File: 05+steve[1].gif (661 KB, 1300x1020) Image search: [Google]
05+steve[1].gif
661 KB, 1300x1020
you're welcome
>>
>>61183866
for me Giant Steps is significant as showing Coltrane taking bebop forms as far as he could before changing directions to more modal and avant-garde

key tracks are:
Giant Steps as an evolution of the classic ii-V-I chord progression putting it in three different keys cycling forever with no clear tonal center. it's technically almost like a theoretical exercise, but also works as a pleasing composition

Countdown also has Coltrane's substitutions chords for a classic jazz chord progression (it's based on Tune Up) and also the weird structure of starting with a drum solo, then a sax solo with no accompaniment, then bringing in the harmony and the theme only appearing at the very end of the tune

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coltrane_changes

So, Giant Steps can be seen as Coltrane's ultimate album in playing around with classic bebop forms before he went to innovate with new forms of the time making it a significant milestone album in the history of jazz.
>>
>>61182720
how does he masturbate?
>>
File: 71LQ34+Jj+L._SL1061_.jpg (157 KB, 1061x1059) Image search: [Google]
71LQ34+Jj+L._SL1061_.jpg
157 KB, 1061x1059
thoughts?
>>
>>61197956
never heard of it
>>
>>61198021
>in jazz general
>have not heard a love supreme
make sense
>>
>>61197956
GOAT

really nice complete feeling album - I especially like that it's short enough at about 32 minutes to feel like one suite. One of the only albums I listen all the way through every time.
>>
all jazz is meme jazz
>>
File: soweto kinch.jpg (208 KB, 618x618) Image search: [Google]
soweto kinch.jpg
208 KB, 618x618
what's some good hip-hop influenced jazz like pic related
>>
>>61197956
literally who
>>
What's some good smoother jazz (nothing too crazy) to get my mom for xmas? I gave her a Bill Evans CD last year and she loved it.
>>
>>61198915
>smoother jazz
lol.
prolly some jazz fusion, maybe heavy weather or light as a feather
>>
File: folder.jpg (276 KB, 605x600) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
276 KB, 605x600
>>61198915
cooking with miles davis it's also the best jazz out there
>>
>>61199013
Don't think she'd like fusion, she likes the more traditional type stuff and hates rock. Not necessary smooth jazz, just nothing avant garde.

>>61199067
thanks, underrated Miles album.
>>
File: out of the blue.jpg (327 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
out of the blue.jpg
327 KB, 1200x1200
>>61182777
>The Engines - Green Knights
I was just listening to the first track of this album on bandcamp. 10$ for two hours of music is a pretty sweet deal. I loved Rempis' playing on the Michael Zerang & the Blue Lights albums.

Raoul Björkenheim / eCsTaSy - Out of the Blue is shaping up to be my favourite album of the year. A very tight album by a very tight band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB8tlegspUI
>>
Recently started listening to Django Rheinhardt and quintette du hot club de France. Love every second, he's amazing. New to /mu/, what's the consensus on Django here?
>>
>>61199437
>what's the consensus on Django here?
Django is legit.
>>
File: cover.jpg (494 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
494 KB, 1000x1000
bump
>>
Is anyone getting any jazz for Christmas? I have the first half of this collection of Louis Armstrong stuff from his work with the Luis Russell band in the late 30s and so I'm getting the other half because this stuff is among the best Satchmo ever did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMDvlszuPKo
>dat trumpet solo

>>61193589
You could always listen to Duke Ellington. It's not usually as chaotic as Mingus' stuff but stylistically Mingus borrowed huge amounts from Ellington.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cntm7j6R1G0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Wdvo6Qvz8

>>61195416
It looks like you've stuck a fifth chord and a major 7th chord together. I mean, you could write out systematically what each note in relation to the root but if you played it as a solid chord, it'd sound awful and if you arpeggiated it, it'd sound like two different chords.

>>61191840
JTG doesn't run it though. He was asked to start it one week when the guy who does run it couldn't.
We really ought to have a system for when Blindfold guy isn't available to start the thread though.
>>
>>61199218
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoKmh1S6qnc
like this?
>>
>>61183866
I don't know any music theory, but I've really been digging this album too. Cant help but crank the volume and tap along at work
>>
>>61197956
Setting any memes aside, I find more in it every time regardless of how many times I listen. Not sure if music gets better
>>
File: jupiter-flugelhorn-1646g.jpg (37 KB, 640x371) Image search: [Google]
jupiter-flugelhorn-1646g.jpg
37 KB, 640x371
Could you guys recommend me some jazz albums featuring the flugelhorn? I've listened to very few stuff in the genre, so it doesn't matter how entry-level.
>>
>>61200415
Miles Ahead, Porgy and Bess, Sketches of Spain.

Kenny Wheeler played flugelhorn on many albums. Maybe check out Double, Double You, Music for Large & Small Ensembles and Gnu High.
>>
>>61200415
Tom Harrell plays the flugelhorn quite often
>>
>>61197956
Fourth track feels a lot longer than the others.
>>
File: fearles friday.jpg (417 KB, 1500x1344) Image search: [Google]
fearles friday.jpg
417 KB, 1500x1344
A O T Y
O
T
Y
>>
>>61199361

eCsTaSy is a pretty great band - I liked their first album and this one is even better, I think
>>
>>61200415
Thad Jones/Pepper Adams
>>
>>61197775
I'm still gonna have to learn more about music theory to understand Coltrane Changes but I think I get the basic idea. Thank you for the explanation man
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.