[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's so much better than I was hoping/expecting holy fuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (145 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
145 KB, 700x700
It's so much better than I was hoping/expecting holy fuck
>>
>>61180754
ITT albums that no one will care about in a month
>>
>>61180774
Nah man everyone said that about if you're reading this and i still rock that shit weekly
>>
>>61180754
Yeah I was decently surprised myself
>>
it was so much worse than I was expecting. the people dick riding him and OA are lame white boys that know nothing about rap music in general.
>>
File: so.png (2 MB, 1734x1711) Image search: [Google]
so.png
2 MB, 1734x1711
>Intent and Purulent Discharge
>>
>>61180754
yeah its fine. 6/10
>>
>>61180863
best song
>>
This, Trick Dice, Three Sided Tape Part 3 and LORDMASTER DJ SK.

2015 had been incredible.
>>
>>61180862
I like how you can tell who obly listen to hip hop because "le funny nigger hood music!" by what they think about OA

fuck outta here memefag
>>
>>61180891

it really solidified the whole lum cannon for me

listening to this directly after MTI is crazy
>>
>>61180862
who on here is not a lame white boy?
>>
>>61180919
I'm a cool white boy
>>
ugly mane's production is so fucking good. hope he doesn't stop producing atleast. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=240bh62uP8w
>>
>tfw grave within a grave
>>
>>61181528
THE FLOWERS UP ABOVE WILTING DOWN SO THEY CAN LAUGH AT ME
>>
I knew he wouldn't return to the MTI sound but still was a bit disappointed. I don't like the whole "obscure stuff in the beginning, sample on top of it after thirty seconds, long ass verse ending in LUM repeating something for half a minute, fadeout to the obscure stuff from the beginning" formula. Beats are mostly pretty amazing. Don't care about the more serious lyrics, they do nothing for me, I dislike meta rap. Don't regret buying the preorder. 7/10
>>
>>61182231
did you listen to one song?
>>
>>61182287
Yeah that description only really fits Persistence
>>
>>61182287
>>61182331

Columns
>Starts with obscure stuff
>Sample comes in after about 20 seconds
>Long ass verse
>I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING
>Ends with obscure sample

Grave Within A Grave
>Long ass verse
>IN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE WITHIN A GRAVE

Opposite Lanes
>Sample comes in after about 50 seconds
>Long ass verse

Collapse And Appear
>Sample comes in after about 70 seconds
>Long ass verse
>I FELL APART AND TOOK MY MIND WITH ME

Persistence
>Sample comes in after about 30 seconds
>Long ass verse
>FUNNY HOW THE HOURS STRETCH[...]
>Ends with obscure sample from beginning

Slugs
>Long ass verse
>>
>>61182287
>>61182331
>>61182697
Don't get me wrong, I love the beats, I like most of the rapping and overall I like the album, but don't tell me the arragements aren't very similar and don't get old after a few spins. Especially compared to his other stuff.
>>
OA is aoty
>>
>>61182697
yeah this tbqh
I can see why ppl who only listen to hip hop might think OA is amazing. but it gets bland quickly
if you enjoy it good for you. but it's a 5/10 for myself
>>
>>61182730
>>61182730
He's throwing pop songwriting to the side in favor of saying what he wants to say and getting the album to flow better. Look at it as one long evolving piece instead of a collection of songs.
>>
>>61182730
The intros and outros make the album better mixed and a more cohesive unit.
Long-ass verses into repetition is Ugly's version of verse/chorus/verse and variants of that. I don't find this style more fatiguing than any other rap track ever made, might even get bonus points since it's at least a fresher structure.
>>
>>61180862
>lame white boys that know nothing about rap music in general
>implying these days lame white boys aren't dickriding every rapper they're told to like by p4k/fantano
>implying LUM isn't way more interesting than all the popular rappers out there rehashing the same old shit time and time again because it sells anyway
try harder/8

>>61182231
>>61182697
What's wrong with song structures? Nearly all the popular music out there is intro-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-chorus or a variation on that and artists that don't conform to that structure still tend to fall back into a different kind of pattern anyway. I mean, unless you happen to feel there's something wrong with this specific kind of song structure (in which case elaborate what makes it bad) I don't really get your point.
>>
>>61182697
underrated post

its a 5 or 6/10 and redditors are calling it AOTY
>>
>>61180867
thank you random trip
>>
>>61182808
>>61183268
I'm not saying the different song structure (compared to say Mista Thug Isolation) is bad per se and I think I get why it was used on Oblivion Access. My critique was that it get's old very quickly.

>>61183268
Again, nothing wrong with song structures that don't follow a pop music formular. I'm not saying the song structure used on Oblivion Access is bad. My point is, that the song structures on the tracks he's rapping on are so similar to each other that I'm noticing it and getting tired of it.

Having many songs with the exact same set-up and structure makes the songs sound formulaic and in the worst case like an artist just put out different versions of the same song (though that's not the case here).
>>
whats the underlying topic? whats the motive in his message?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (198 KB, 3000x1688) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
198 KB, 3000x1688
>>61182770
>I can see why ppl who only listen to hip hop might think OA is amazing
>>
>>61184118
WHAT'S HE SAYING WHEN HE SAYS IT
>>
u guys just dont like because reddit loves it
>>
it was good

l listened to it while sweeping up my house

and suggenly a white lite surrounded me

and i was taken up

and died
>>
>>61185030
Sadly, vocal lum fans are all dumb redditors, including you, probably.
>>
Really, only Grave and Drain Counter do it for me.

Those are some choice sample cuts for this gloomy ass winter.
>>
Grave Within A Grave is godly
>>
Its garbage compared to MTI

But you'll all love it because you're contrarian
>>
>>61187129
once again

easy to see who only likes hip hop because "le funny nigger hood music!" when they say shit like this
>>
I appreciated the noise elements more than any other part of it really. The lyrics had high points and the text to speech segment was probably the best point of the album. Otherwise 3/4ths of the lyrics were overtly edging on watered down pseudo philosophical 2000s "conscious" rap. he has always been cringy but I have to give it away to the "20 in my nose blah blah blah anger" line. The persistence single had me really excited because it was a perfect balance of smart songwriting and edginess.
>>
File: tipsmahldy.jpg (18 KB, 300x449) Image search: [Google]
tipsmahldy.jpg
18 KB, 300x449
>>61188566
>I look for deep meaning in rap music!
>>
>>61188901
No, but a personal hip hop record about depression and anxiety isn't inherently bad you fucking idiot

>>61188790
see above, it was only as """conscious""" as any other album about depression

honestly hilarious how idiot teens on /mu/ bitch about "memerap" being devoid of sincerity and real value while at the same time criticizing anything that isn't just dumb hood shit as "edgy"

you people are awful
>>
>>61188901
>I only listen to funny meme rap muzik
>>
The amount of ppl I've seen trying to compare it to MTI is fucking mind-boggling. Aside from the fact that they were made by the same human they couldn't be further apart. Protip: you'll enjoy both a lot more if you stop trying to pit them against each other.
>>
>>61189571
thank you jesus christ

like he literally only released the shit under the LUM name to satiate his rabid idiot fans, I think he mentions the name once on the entire record
>>
Ill never look at slugs the same way.

fucking homeless snails
>>
first time 'conscious' hip hop lyrics have actually resonated with me
8/10 while MTI is a 9/10
>>
>>61189481
lol I never even said that the album was bad. It's an edgy album though, idk why you're defending it like it isn't. Nothing wrong with expressing emotions that typically aren't touched in rap but you're acting like its never been done before. MTI is a cheesy fucking album but it's still great. it sounds like your perception of rap is just "dumb hood shit" and lil ugly mane lol. Damn do some searching for more music out there.
>>
>>61180862
this. LUM's black-cent is unbearable to listen to
>>
>>61191159
What the hell is a "black-cent"?
>>
>>61182697
.. half of these are wrong. opinion discarded
>>
>>61191205
an impersonation of african american vernacular english by someone who isn't african american
>>
>>61191308
yeah, black people do say bitch a lot too
>>
>>61191308
This is would be the case assuming all African Americans share the same vernacular and that environment doesn't influence the way someone speaks.
>>
>>61191159
>>61191308
he's from Richmond so I don't doubt that's his actual accent
>>
>>61191380
what? no. AAVE is a legitimate linguistic term, and like all dialects of all languages, varies according to geography, generation, etc.
>>
>>61191392
i've lived in Richmond my whole life, plenty of white people talk like ugly. Get out of VCU once in a while
>>
>>61191308
lil ugly mane produces beats inspired by southern hip-hop, therefore tries to imitate southern hip-hop rapping to complement his beats. people didn't even know he was white, because that was not the point of the music, he just wanted to make a southern hip-hop album. lil ugly mane is the character he made to rap as.

travis miller is producer first, rapper second.
>>
>>61191420
I know what Ebonics are.

I just found it silly that it was referred to as a impersonation.
>>
>>61191468
All true. Nowhere did I claim I found his accent morally objectionable. I just don't like how his voice sounds when he raps
>>
hopsin for hipsters
>>
>>61180904
I really hope your joking
>>
Can we all agree that Leonard's Lake is the most lit track?
>>
>>61192161
I agree, Leonard's Lake is legit.
>>
>>61180825
>liking drake
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.