[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there any other idm worth listening to everything else seems
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8
File: rdj.jpg (13 KB, 350x263) Image search: [Google]
rdj.jpg
13 KB, 350x263
is there any other idm worth listening to
everything else seems bad relative to aphex twin
>>
>>61161802
Autechre
Luke Vibert
Board of Canada
Squarepusher
the list goes on...
>>
>>61161832
This.

Also check out the more drum-prominent side of IDM such as Venetian Snares and Venetian Snares, also Venetian Snares
>>
u-ziq
>>
>>61161832
Any essential albums?
>>
>>61161832
>Luke Vibert
talentless hack
>>
>>61161856
>u-ziq
>mu + ziq
>music

shit,
I only just got this
>>
>>61161893
UPSIDE DOWN SPIRAL STAIRCASE
>>
>>61161902
how can you not get that

it's literally right there in front of your eyes, mu ziq, ยต-zic, MUSIC
>>
>>61161856
MIKE PARADINAS
IN YOUR PUNANI
>>
>>61161941
I never tried pronouncing it before, I do that a lot,
like just looking at a work and not actually saying it in your head but absorbing the meaning
>>
>>61161996
So this entire time, you've been saying "you-zik"
>>
>>61162044
no, I was saying nothing
I would just look at the name and think of the music with out ever saying anything
>>
>>61161802
aphex twin is actually very middle-of-the-range imo. I'd rather listen to him instead of BoC but Squarepusher, Autechre, and u-Ziq are my faves
>>
>>61162278
for me, he's better at making dance music than the more traditional "idm" style. give me afx over aphex any day.
>>
File: 1450253777948.jpg (1 MB, 2316x2348) Image search: [Google]
1450253777948.jpg
1 MB, 2316x2348
>>61161802
>>
>>61162441
the majority of these aren't really in the "idm" clique, but very good chart nonetheless. personally I'd have found room for Omni Trio, Jonny L, and u-Ziq but other than that it's good.
>>
File: IDM-1.png (1 MB, 1149x1600) Image search: [Google]
IDM-1.png
1 MB, 1149x1600
>>61162540
here u go babe
>>
Nobody mentioning B12?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=KhgO-dbvEZU
>>
been listening to sevish after somebody on /mu/ recommended it. dat nigga has potential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjCQcwqK9wE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVZy9GUeMqY

i also like this one by holly herndon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHujh3yA3BE
>>
>>61162909
this is quite nice,
thanks
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PYbIPaW_eg
>>
>>61161902
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>61161802
>spoonfeed me

>>61161893
bait of the year
>>
>>61161802
>shlohmo
>four tet
>boards of canada
>bonobo
>>
No one comes close to him, true.
>>
Objekt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGYzpBoxa-w
>>
Mnlth does that syro sound better than RDJ imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82j_s1obHw0
>>
AFX is just a bad Squarepusher ripoff, without the ability to actually play musical instruments.
>>
aphex twin isnt even that good desu, there are tonnes of other idm artists id rather listen to
>>61162909
time tourist is goat, so underrated
>>
>>61161802
DMX Krew
Plaid
Kettel
Global Goon
Legowelt
Beatwife
Tipper
Buckfunk 3000
Ceephax
The Gasman
Ochre
Clark
The Flashbulb
Sunken Foal
KiloWatts
Culprate
Gimmik
Karsten Pflum
Ametsub
LFO
Trackermatte
Ocoeur
EOD
Dave Monolith
Rolando Simmons

you fucking happpy now?
>>
>>61166235
is this a joke? by the time sp came out with his first release (95) richard was already very prolific and had influenced the current dance scene quite a bit.
>>
>>61166235

No nigga, no. I love Squarepusher, but they really aren't anything alike.

>>61166068

That's weird, when the hell did Objekt start making tunes like this? P gud tho
>>
>>61161802
everything will seem bad if you compare it to aphex twin anon
>>
>>61166367
did you even hear flatland? he ditched the bass sound a while ago.
>>
>>61161802

You've reminded me about my dream last night, RDJ was in my room and we were talking about music and chilling, he asked to hear the non-existant track I'd been working on then suddenly two giant speakers where either side of my TV and when I switched it on a pale blue light filled the screen and some music I can't recall played.

It stopped and RDJ put his hand on my shoulder and smiled. And I can't remember anything else about it. I was really happy waking up until reality kicked in.

Not relevant I know, but might as well mention it in a boring thread.
>>
>>61166331

It's no coincidence that Dicky's best music, Richard D James and the EP/singles of Windowlicker/Come to Daddy, all came out immediately after that Squarepusher release. And you have to admit the AFX sound of that time is a total ripoff of SP, without the cool jaco ripoff bass.

Before and after this era AFX is dull. I bought Syro and listened to it about five times, I'm done.
>>
>>61161802
idm is a pretty vague genre term. Most genres are so expansive that it's really hard to tell what people want when they say something like this.

Personally, Autechre - Tri Repitae++ and (someone is going to get mad at me for calling this idm) BoC - Camphire Headphase and Squarepushef - Go Plastic are my favorites
>>
L F O
F
O
>>
RDJ is an overrated welsh cunt. If I wanted to here ginger homos carrying on I'd go to prison.
>>
>>61161802
literally the list could go on...: the post
>>
>>61166308
a few more, how does it feel being spoonfed like this?

Dwaalicht / Wisp
Gescom
Xploding Plastix
Ambulance
Daedelus
Bogdan Raczynski
Boxcutter
and a whole fucking bunch of underground artists on bandcamp and soundcloud.

also, members of the "IDM" group on facebook; stop fucking posting /mu/-related shit in the group.
please keep these two things separated.
>>
cylob
>>
File: mcpharlin-0080_1200.jpg (1 MB, 1100x1100) Image search: [Google]
mcpharlin-0080_1200.jpg
1 MB, 1100x1100
Have recently gotten into prefuse 73 myself. Not sure if he's considered idm as much as glitch hop but he's from Warp and is very good.
>>
artists who began making "idm" after 2000 are generally garbage

first wave is best, though that's literally techno desu
>>
>>61166651
Wisp is so cheesy

With how popular Ae is on here, I'm surprised that Gescom isn't talked about tho
>>
>>61167259

I love that album. Top tier album art, too
>>
File: marcus boc.jpg (75 KB, 500x503) Image search: [Google]
marcus boc.jpg
75 KB, 500x503
Richard was the qtest IDM dude but Marcus from BoC is close
>>
>>61169341
but amon tobin....
>>
>>61161832
i have listened to all these artists and venetian snares and they for not compare to aphex twin imo, aside from some autechre stuff
>>
>>61170709
do you mean in quality or style?
>>
>>61166496

no you're retarded
>>
>>61166496
wew
>>
>>61161802
go plastic
>>
People always laugh at the "list goes on..." meme when it comes to IDM but the truth is apart from the early artists and releases, most of it isn't all that great and said artists are some of the best you got in the genre (though personally I'm not super big on BoC and Venetian Snares is intolerable to me). I mean, most of the shit listed here >>61166308 >>61166651 is just tacky stuff (and a lot of it isn't what I'd call IDM either. Legowelt? DMX Krew? Boxcutter? Good artists, but IDM?) that highlights the worst aspects of IDM when it got super masturbatory around the mid-late nineties and early 2000s and everyone decided they wanted to make LP5 876 times.

Anyway, apart from some of the other artists already brought up (seriously, listen to LFO. Also Mark Bell has a great release under the name Clark called 'Lofthouse'), a lot of the guys on Skam are great (can't believe Bola hasn't been mentioned. Jega isn't as consistent but is nice too), Lusine, Matmos, Dabrye, Arovane, and Beaumont Hannant are also good ones to listen to.
>>
boards of canada is better.
>>
>>61173763
(not true, by the way)
>>
>>61173491
there is lots of good idm that isnt the big 4, but youre right in saying a lot of those artists he mentioned are either not idm or pretty shite
some other good artists would be
LFO
Monolake
Plaid
Seefeel
Mouse On Mars
Biosphere
The Orb
Orbital
Future Sound of London
B12
u-Ziq
Clark
>>
>>61174318
Well, yes those artists are great, but I avoided mentioning groups that had already been brought up in this thread (like in this chart >>61162708)

>The Orb
>Orbital
>Future Sound of London
>Biosphere
You see, I don't really consider these IDM desu, especially FSOL (The Orb is more debatable). But really that kind of underscores how useless the term is, though early IDM always had that gray area where it was bordering on pure techno. Biosphere is more ambient/drone/ambient techno.
>>
>>61174548
i kinda see the whole ambient techno movement in the 90s as a part of the idm term, because i mean if you are going to put stuff like early autechre and aphex under it, then those artists basically fit aswell, but yeah it is a pretty shitty classification desu
>>
>>61174206
u wanna fight m8!
>>
>>61161941
guy, it's okay, really.
>>
>>61174623
Yeah, that's certainly true when it comes to Orbital and The Orb, but FSOL always kind of had a trance-ier/rave-ier vibe that always related it more to dance/club music than IDM imo, but that could just be my perception. I sort of get why Biosphere gets shoved in but he's strictly ambient imo.

Really tho, going back to an earlier point, I think why earlier IDM worked more than later IDM was that all the artists were inspired by and had an appreciation for dance and club music and the culture (be it detroit techno or electro or hardcore or rave or hip-hop) - it's just that they wanted to move it to a different location and put a new spin on it and have a different vibe (I don't buy the journos whole "they thought dance music was stupid and wanted to make it better!" as most of the IDM artists have expressed the opposite). Whereas the later waves of IDM seemed to be mimicking the first wave, therefore not really have that direct tie to the original dance influence. It's like they've only heard breakcore or Drukqs, but never actually listened to a Foul Play tune, y'know? I dunno, lol.
>>
>>61170309
thank you.
>>
Dan Deacon
>>
>>61174839
for biosphere, mostly his early work like microgravity and patashnik i would say is IDM
but yeah i definately prefer the earlier ambient techno stuff to the later stuff
>>
>>61166068
saw Objekt's 3-hour DJ set after Autexhre last month... it was sweet. He dropped Isapropanol off Classics.
>>
File: Locust Toybox - Stringland.jpg (925 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
Locust Toybox - Stringland.jpg
925 KB, 1200x1200
Locust Toybox m8s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYV7pY_OenI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M-1TIE2TNU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGn0ymfx6Ns
>>
>>61170750
in lack of quality probably lmao
>>
File: lfo - advance.jpg (30 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
lfo - advance.jpg
30 KB, 480x480
>>61173491
You seem cool anon, esp for backing LFO and Bola. I pushed for Advance to get added on >>61162708 when it was made, though I dunno whether it should've just been Frequencies on there, but I thought Adv was more reflective of whatever IDM is considered to be, plus it's a fave, and all Mark's stuff is the cream of the crop
>Also Mark Bell has a great release under the name Clark called 'Lofthouse'
hory shit did not know about this stuff. Confusing alias what with the other Clark.
>>
>>61176432
>tfw there will never be another LFO release again
RIP familia
>>
i rec orbital - in sides
>>
>>61176711
orbital is soooo fucking good
>>
>>61176456
It's such a shame, I was really hoping for another LFO album someday. Sheath was marvelous.
>>
Its more acid/minimal. But you can try out plastikman.

sheet one - consumed are all very good

I've always thought moo thought his was a
3deep5me
type of guy, but he was very popular at the same time aphex twin was.

just different styles.
>>
>>61161802
>other
There is no EYE DEE EMM worth listening to.
>>
>>61166068
How is this IDM?
It's just dubby Electro.
>>
Hey guys
>>
>>61161802

If that's how you feel, Autechre is probably your best option.
>>
>>61161802
>Luke Vibert > Dj Shadow
prove me fucking wrong
>muh they're too different
fuck off
>>
>>61176456
I was at big rave earlier this yeah and it was about 7am and I was about to leave when I heard this get get played and went straight back in, amazing, one of the first tunes to get me proper into dance music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmYUlr599-I
>>
>>61178068
we're not letting you in the club T. Rez
you don't even have a neck man did you eat your neck
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.