[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Explain.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: 1436158256698.png (28 KB, 214x152) Image search: [Google]
1436158256698.png
28 KB, 214x152
What is "production"? What do people mean when they say this? Are they talking about sound quality?
>>
>>61159802
Idiots use it to describe everything that isn't the vocals
>>
buzzword
>>
File: 1437899367365.jpg (35 KB, 523x523) Image search: [Google]
1437899367365.jpg
35 KB, 523x523
>listen to popular song/album
>it's shit
>people tell me "b-but the production is good!"
>>
idk i've never used the word but I assume it's just the mixing done to it
i'm a fan if it's not too obnoxiously loud
>>
>>61159802
The production goes includes vocals as well, >>61159869. I like to think of peoduction like this, imagine you play a D-chord on an electric guitar and you use a specific strumming pattern. Now depending on the production this can sound many different ways. Some basic things would be settings on an amp, where you place the microphone and what guitar model you use. All of that is production, but it's still just a D-chord as far as the notes go.
>>
I've been meaning to make an infographic about this

Production and mixing and mastering are closely related, but different.
Production refers to the way the music is actually made, or produced. It sets the overall way that the music will "sound", and is based on recording conditions. Compare https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2hCeBIk-Gw and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGHwWwQw3tc. Th former is borderline incomprehensible, with all of the sound mashed together in a mass of everything. The latter is clear, spaced-out, and you can focus on every individual instrument. This is due to the way they were produced; Mayhem recorded with a shitty 4-track, while Talk Talk used nice equipment and attention to detail when recording and mixing. With electronic music, which is mostly "made" and not "recorded", production has become a catch-all term for the way the music sounds. This is misleading because the word most people are looking for is "composition", but it's become widespread enough here that you should at least know the difference.
Mixing and mastering are closely related. Mixing refers to the way the multiple tracks of a song are mixed into stereo channels, with the volume and stereo being the main aspects of this. This can result in how full, dense, expansive, or whatever the sound is. Mastering refers to how the mixed music is processed, which involves a lot of engineering specifics. An important one is equalization (EQ), in which certain frequencies are muted or amplified, which "shapes" the sound of something differently than the raw recording, which may not sound vibrant enough. Mastering can also include compression and limiting, which results in the overall volume and dynamic range of the track being different; overcompression results in some quieter frequencies being lost.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A_WMa5Asss has very poor mastering, it is "brickwalled" with compression and is headache-inducingly loud.
>>
>>61159802
It varies from song to song, like listen to something produced by Phil Spector. It has a certain sound, no matter who the actual artist is, it sounds like Phil Spector, not like that artist. Keep doing this with different producers and you should be able to figure it out unless you're completely retarded.

Note that some producers don't do anything and just pay for the album like Andy Warhol or their technique is to not "overproduce". And of course, a lot of artists these days just produce their own stuff.
>>
You're a fucking idiot if you think "production" is a buzzword used by idiots. Learn how to music you fucking chumps
>>
>>61160250
Thank you, that's useful.

>>61159869
I think that's pretty much the case for hip hop but not for other genres.
>>
>>61161011
It is a buzzword on /mu/, and used only by idiots on /mu/
>>
>>61161042
....what
>>
>>61159802

I hate you for using such a smug fucking image while asking a basic question like this.
>>
Okay that's it, I'm leaving.
Even the word production has apparently become a meme. No wonder there's no actual constructive discussion on this board.
>>
>>61160250
Is all of MBDTF like that or is it just All of the Lights?
>>
>>61161105
Albums are usually mastered with the whole in mind, as to keep a consistent sound throughout, so in MBDTFs case, it's all compressed to shit to give the whole album a gritty feel at the expense of quality.
>>
>>61161187

>quality

the only buzzword when it comes to music.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.