[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
pic related and God in Three Persons are two of my favorite albums.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: Not_Available.jpg (50 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Not_Available.jpg
50 KB, 300x300
pic related and God in Three Persons are two of my favorite albums. Can you guys rec similar stuff? I know nothing really sounds like The Residents but I'm curious if there's more experimental/conceptual music with a similar approach.
thanks
>>
File: residentsginger.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
residentsginger.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
bump.
>>
>with a similar approach.

What is this approach, in your words?
>>
File: Primus_&_The_Chocolate_Factory.jpg (110 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Primus_&_The_Chocolate_Factory.jpg
110 KB, 500x500
>>61159281
Well this is just an exact copy of residents from that era
>>
File: Residents_god_in_3_persons.jpg (12 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
Residents_god_in_3_persons.jpg
12 KB, 220x220
>>61159784
didn't expect this to be asked lol
Approaching music with no pre-conceived notion of what music should be. I love that The Resident's were unconventional in their story-telling and extremely abstract in their ideas and lyrics, even when telling a straight-forward story. Hellenistic as opposed to Classical art.
even the topics they choose for lyrical subject matter is fascinating. the psyche, both physical and spiritual in Not Available, and duality in God in Three Persons.
>>61159794
thanks im already familiar with Primus though. Primus sucks desu senpai
>>
>>61159963
Ah, I see. I ask because I had my own notion of what their approach was, but I didn't want to recommend based on that.

Not sure I know anyone who fits that exact bill. But maybe try XTC. It might sound like basic 80s pop-rock, but there are similar underlying principles to their music. Andy and Colin weren't too heavily ensconced in classical theory; Andy in particular would basically just tool around on the guitar or keyboard and then write the songs based around the impressions he got, and their topics are always fantastical analogues to real issues (e.g. breakup songs as DC Comics tragedies or ironic hymns sung by motor cars).

Also, Andy sang on "Margaret Freeman" from the Commercial Album, so there's that connection.
>>
>>61160109
sweet man. thankyou. I've also heard R. Stevie Moore is good and that his music is similar to XTC but his discog. is so fuckin huge I have no idea where to begin. Any suggestions there?
also may I ask what your thought are on their approach? Just out of curiosity.
>>
this heat's s/t reminds me a lot of not available with the synthwork and general atmosphere

you've probably heard it tho
>>
>>61160178
>>61160178
yeah I love This Heat. I prefer Deciet desu but I can see how the bands sound similar. Same sort of sonic atmosphere.
>>
>>61160146
R. Stevie Moore is somewhere in my backlog. I think I had something of his saved that was recommended to me but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. Sorry.

I would say the Residents are a group that takes a very holistic approach to their music. They try to stimulate every sense as well as some complex emotions that may not be well-defined in our vernacular.

There is also a very bleak tone to everything they do. Their music is very spacious and lonely, but not in a sad way. More like you're being shown an intimidating alien world, or like a world many, many years after the apocalypse. Uncertainty is a big aspect of the topics in their music.
>>
>>61160343
no worries tripfriend. thanks for the interesting dialog. it's rare on /mu/ and even moreso for bands that I enjoy.
>>
All that God wanted to be
Was just another normal deity
>>
>>61160775
this is from Fingerprince, not Not Available.
but it's one of my favorite Resident's songs
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.