[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Albums that will be considered a joke in 20 years time.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
ITT: Albums that will be considered a joke in 20 years time.
>>
>>61158883
What would you do if it got even more praise in 20 years time?
>>
>>61158902
I would move on with my life. Just a feeling that this album will age poorly and become a running joke. Some of the lyrics on this release are cringe worthy.
>>
>>61158919
can you tell me the lines you find cringeworthy? Personally I really like the lyrics, but that's just me
>>
>>61158937
off the top of my head
>Put the pussy in a sarcophagus
>Sent this bitch a picture of my dick
>>
it's already a joke in the patrician scene
>>
I never liked this album and I genuinely don't understand the popularity of it.
>>
>>61158964
>picks the most obvious ones
haters are so fucking predictable
>>
>>61158964
I really like the dick pic line, couldn't care less about the sarcophagus one. The dick pic line is so of it's time, in a good way though, taking dick pics was such a bizarre fad at that time, I'm glad Kanye immortalized it in his music. It's as much a commentary on modern romance as it is a light hearted joke, adds a little humor to the song while kind of playing on the entire concept of what he's singing about. That's how I see it anyway.
>>
>>61159015
>tell me which lines are bad
>provided examples
>stop picking the obviously bad ones!!!

Kanyefags, ladies and gentlemen.
>>
>>61159049
>It's as much a commentary on modern romance
No, it's a "commentary" on him getting caught sending unsolicited pictures of his penis to women you fucking dip.

I hate faggots like you that analyse shitty vapid pop songs like they have any deeper meaning.

Kill yourself my man.
>>
MBDTF will go down as the quintessential 2010s album, it's an album that explores the the modern world's obsession with fame and it strips it of all the glamour that has been built up around it.
It really shows where we are as a people, dissatisfied people looking up to other dissatisfied people, searching for that illusory american dream. And it treats it with the trademark dismissive irony of the age, laughing away the misery with jokes and non genuine bragging.
>>
>>61158964
>Sent this bitch a picture of my dick
This is representative of the times. It may seem like a joke now, but it gives insight into the the shallow and divisionary state of the culture.
>>
>>61159121
it's an album that explores kanye's obsession with himself and retards like you have been duped by pitchfork into thinking it's some grand statement
>>
>>61159143
And what insight does it give exactly?
>>
>>61159106
Damn, I'm not even arguing with you, I have no idea why you're so upset. That's not even a deep meaning. Like it's surface level. He's just saying he sent a picture of his dick to a girl, and then he says he's not good with women; so he's acknowledging that sending the dick pic was a bad move while stating it as if it's a normal occurrence, which it is, so he's saying that these bizarre actions which we know are wrong have been completely normalized into modern love. This is not a deep or complex line, everything it's saying is completely on the surface.
>>
>>61159182
see
>>61159225
>>
>>61159182
That you can get that far in life and still have no idea how to treat a woman, despite getting bitches on tap. Money and fame doesn't equal class or anything close to royalty as everyone fetishes it as.
>>
>>61159182
How removed people have become from social interaction and relationships. It ties into the overall theme of the song.
>>
>>61159015
are you fucking retarded? go back to reddit you fucking faggot
>>
>>61159161
Pretty much all of his bragging is obviously back-handed, and he often describes his desire for something more "real", but always returns to the pitfalls that his fame has made all too easy to fall into.
>>
>>61158986
12 year olds, redditors, and black pseudointellectuals. Explains everything. Kanye has one of the worst fan bases in all of modern music. Made in his image tbqh.
>>
Tpab
>>
>>61158986
Multiple hit songs and critical appraisal for having a consistent theme/story throughout the album? Also it's well produced and has an impressive amount of money thrown in all the right places.

>>61159271
This. It's ego, but it's as self aware as it can be and back-handed. It damns the life he lives and the excess more than it glorifies it.

>>61159291
Says the tool fan
>>
>>61159291
someone will take this bait
>>
>>61158883
It's already considered an overhyped joke by anyone that doesn't suck the p4k teet.
>>
>>61159225
I'm with you for the first 90% of this paragraph until you try to tie this into some sort of commentary on "modern love." Could you please explain how Kanye conceptualizes this, cause it sounds a lot more like something that you've pulled out of your ass (or perhaps read on RapGenius).
>>
>>61159310
Tool also has one of the worst fan bases, but thankfully they aren't really that relevant anymore. Whenever you have an artist or group where people over analyze their lyrics, you attract the worst type of fans.
>>
File: ss (2015-12-20 at 01.14.50).png (29 KB, 872x293) Image search: [Google]
ss (2015-12-20 at 01.14.50).png
29 KB, 872x293
Reminder if you haven't done this before listening, you have no place to comment.
>>
>>61158883
it's already a joke, the whole genre is
>>
>>61159371
Maybe I should have said romance rather than love. If that doesn't clear it up I'd be happy to go more in depth.
>>
it's already a joke in the patrician scene, anon
>>
>>61159381
>people over analyze
Isn't that the fun of art though?
I mean, death grips fans are similarly shit but they are a surprisingly creative fandom with all the Death Grips or death grips influenced art out there.
>>
>>61159355
It's considered a joke by people who base their opinion of the album on their opinion of Kanye, and who refuse to read into the album any deeper than the absolute surface because they already decided that they weren't gonna like the album before they listened to it.
You don't have to like the album, but it's definitely not a joke, there is evidently value to be found in it.
>>
Why do white people always over analyze and over hype rap music? I swear if some black guy just recorded himself taking a dump a bunch of 12-24 year old white kids would find deep meaning in it and talk about it for years.
>>
>>61159415
This, honestly the more you can read into an artwork the more interesting it is I find it. I don't understand people who just want all the ideas the artist put on the canvas presented to them on a silver platter.
>>
>>61159401
It doesn't clear anything up. I fail to see how this song is a commentary on anything other than Kayne West, which is the main topic of most of his songs. This deeper meaning about the state of romance or whatever seems to be pulled out of your ass.

And even if I do accept this premise, explain to me how exactly Kanye is saying anything meaningful? Kanyefags are the only fans that pad paragraphs with words like "it's a social commentary" to describe the most retarded and transparent lyrics.
>>
>>61159415
I dunno. Sometimes I guess but with this stuff it seems like people are applying meanings that aren't even there. Like they don't follow any sort of trail of logic to reach their conclusions that they make up, they just sort of make up meanings and entire themes seemingly out of thin air.
>>
>>61159444
The funny thing is that that mouth breather Kanye couldn't even articulate half of the half baked ideas ITT. Reading any song analysis on RapGenius is a fucking riot.
>>
>>61159444
When was it decided that all hip hop was exempt from analysis?
If you can read into it and get something out of it, why wouldn't you?
>>
>>61159444
Hip hop has been this way since day one. It has always been a genre that has valued lyrical depth over poetic prowess, so looking for depth in seemingly simple lyrics is not uncommon. You could easily gloss over Leonard Cohen or Bob Dylan's lyrics as pretentious nonsense, but no one does that because you know the artists intent. The same can be said of Kanye, or really any other hip hop artist that isn't making all out ignorant party rap.
>>
>>61159459
Okay man, I to give you my perspective but I'm not sure if you're willing to hear it. You're being really aggressive, and I'm just telling you my opinion. If you want to hear it I'll tell you, but I'm pretty sure you don't. You already have your mind made up.
>>
>>61159496
Hip hop isn't exempt from analysis, it's that, like this guy says >>61159462 most people extrapolate meaning from songs without any real logic, just from their own personal whim. It's a way to try to give deeper meaning to a song that, let's face it, probably doesn't have much depth to begin with.
>>
>>61159543
Could you offer a criticism other than essentially calling me mad? I'm completely calm, bud.

You're more than welcome to offer your explanation. Please explain how "sent this bitch pictures of my dick" is a social commentary on modern romance and what this commentary is.. without injecting your own interpretations into the lyrics.
>>
File: 1444360829140.jpg (60 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1444360829140.jpg
60 KB, 360x360
ITT college freshman sperglords drenching their panties over "deep" nigger noise
>>
>>61159563
And what deeper meaning can be logically extrapolated from a jackson pollock painting?
>>
>>61159726
What a terrible analogy.
>>
>>61159596
Okay I will. I don't want to make this line out to be some grand sweeping statement, because it's not, it's just one line and it's like a pop culture reference. In 2010 taking naked pictures of yourself was at it's peak, that shit was in the news all the time, and really it was ridiculous. I think we both agree on that. So on a song where Kanye is singing about romance and relationships he throws in this line as if it's nothing, as if it's just a normal part of starting or maintaining a relationship. Obviously it's a modern relationship, since dick pics being sent so commonly is a modern phenomenon , so in that it is a commentary on modern romance. Now in the lines following it he says "I don't know what it is with females/But I'm not too good with that shit", which is him acknowledging the faults in this apparently normal and mundane action. This could raise other questions, about how we do these things and how they are normal yet we all know they're wrong, the person sending the pic doesn't like it and the person receiving the pic dislikes it as well- but we still do it, because it's normal and mundane. I hate explaining lines like this, because it makes everything look so overwrought and really it is overthinking it because all of this should be apparent on first listen. If you have more arguments/questions I'd be happy to keep going.
>>
>>61158883

wrong.
>>
File: kanye west.png (314 KB, 460x357) Image search: [Google]
kanye west.png
314 KB, 460x357
>>61158883
>20 years
i thought that was a joke just 20 minutes into it, much like all of Kanye West's unintelligible "music".
>>
>>61159877

b8
>>
File: 1295904879098.gif (81 KB, 936x936) Image search: [Google]
1295904879098.gif
81 KB, 936x936
>5 years later and plebs still don't get MBDTF
>>
>>61159895
kanye west will commit suicide.
>>
File: 1405921434984.jpg (117 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1405921434984.jpg
117 KB, 1920x1080
>there are people in this thread who think MBDTF ISN'T a 10/10

leave mu now
>>
>>61159961
I love the album, not sure if it's a 10, only time will tell that, but it definitely deserves at the very least an 8
>>
>>61159961
i dont see how pretending, even just for funsies, that a completely half brained nigger who is tone deaf has the possibility of making good music when he's never made good music in the first place.

you'd be more brave for hoping something tossed into a black hole would ever return to you.
>>
>>61159999

bait, but nice quads.
>>
>>61160006
If you like Kanye Pest just kill yourself. Nice singles tho fag ;P
>>
>>61160006
how is that bait? i agree with what he said.

do you just call anything you disagree with bait?
>>
>>61160047
>>61160044

bait
>>
>>61159805
>no reply
lmao
>>
>Sent this bitch a picture of my dick.
He had dic pics that leaked online. He's self deprecating himself.
>>
>>61160058
bait
>>
>>61160105

bait
>>
if not already
>>
this is now a bait thread
>implying a kanye west thread isn't always a bait thread
>>
>>61159805
The first problem is that I disagree with you that 2010 was the "peak" of sexting. What are you basing this on? Is sexting no longer as prevalent, or is there something about 2010 that made sexting come to a head? You're acting like this is some indisputable fact and running with it, but I'd like you to elaborate and provide some actual evidence that this is an actual thing.

The second problem I have is that I'm not sure what this has to do with Kanye's line. As far as I can tell, it's a line that's purely about himself and his experience. I don't see any kind of commentary on the prevalence of dick pics in 2010 or the state of "modern love," this part seems to be your own spin on the line.

Third of all, I don't think the logic of "well, it's commentary and it's technically modern so it's commentary on modern love!" That's great. You've stretched the definition of both of these terms so that virtually ANY line about any kind of relations between two people can be contrasted as commentary. More importantly, what is Kanye's commentary. What is he actually saying? If commentary is empty and vapid, is it really worth mentioning? This is what annoys me about Kanye fans. They throw around words like this and think it speaks for itself in regards to Kanye's literary genius. It means nothing to me.

>This could raise other questions, about how we do these things and how they are normal yet we all know they're wrong, the person sending the pic doesn't like it and the person receiving the pic dislikes it as well- but we still do it, because it's normal and mundane.
Again, all of this seems like the figment of your imagination because literally nothing about that line invokes any of these questions. I could just as easily say that the line is about Kanye's failed dick pic experiment and his displeasure that "bitches" don't understand his gestures of "love."

>>61160074
Oh fuck off, I'm not watching this thread religiously. I fucking hate memeshitters like you.
>>
>>61159775
How so?
My point is that both are artworks, and as such both are subject to the viewers own interpretations. People who completely dismiss MBDTF as lacking any sort of artistic value are like people who see a Duchamp and say "It's just a urinal!". Regardless of what Kanye intended, if a large portion of his listeners extrapolate a deeper meaning behind his words, it's a valid analysis.
>>
>>61160174
you know you've made something that is objectively garbage when you need to explicitly rely on subjective interpretation
>>
>>61160174
My point is that you're comparing abstract visual art to transparent written lyrics. If I have to explain to you why this is retarded then you have no hope.
>>
>>61160259
No, I'm comparing trying to judge an abstract painting based on logical conditions with judging an album's overarching narrative based on a surface level look at individual song's lyrics. Both are equally dumb.
>>
>>61160144
Yeah man, I know, sometimes I word shit poorly, stop knitpicking every little error I made. Yeah I shouldn't have said it was the peak of sexting, but it was it's peak in the social consciousness, it was in the news all the time during that period. I'm sorry but I'm not looking up dated articles on this shit so I please someone on 4chan. The line is about Kanye and his experiences, but that doesn't mean it can't relate to others as well. It's a commentary in the fact the line is even in the song, it sticks out like a sore thumb, it's a line that can only exist in today's world and it deals with an aspect of how romance is perceived in it. I never said Kanye was a literal genius. I never said there was great depth to the line. I acknowledged that it's very surface level in all my posts, don't put words into my mouth. I'm sorry that you need everything with any level of meaning explained directly in the lyrics themselves, I'm sorry you're incapable of seeing any depth in anything where it isn't immediately apparent. Yet what I'm saying about this line has always been apparent to me, since I first heard it. You don't judge art on the artists intent, you judge it on the art you are presented with. Kanye may not have set out to make a statement with the line, but just simply putting it in the song raises all these connotations about romance in the 2010's that I've already detailed in my other post. Like this anon said >>61159513 you could easily just overlook a lot of great lyricists because they didn't say exactly what they meant, why must I gloss over these aspects in Kanye's music when I don't with other artists? Why am I to assume that these lines have zero meaning when I could do the same with any other lyrical artist?
>>
bumping this wonderful thread
>>
>>61158883
Heads up: It's a joke right now
>>
>>61160968

yeah, no.
>>
>>61161024
The only people who disagree are in fact jokes themselves.
>>
>>61158883
Kanye West is the Frank Zappa of our generation
>>
It already is a joke
>>
>>61160968
>>61161089
>>61161034
>>61159405
>>61159355
Literally these. I'm always amused when people claim to take this album seriously because it just reveals so much ignorance about music in general
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.