[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
yeah...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: beach-boys-rock-band-kek.png (149 KB, 930x438) Image search: [Google]
beach-boys-rock-band-kek.png
149 KB, 930x438
yeah...
>>
I mean they made pretty straightforward surf rock and roll songs for most of their career besides the late 60s-early 70s so its not inaccurate. The experimental psych pop era was a small portion of the Beach Boys discography
>>
>>61154745
i've only heard pet sounds: the thread
>>
>>61154844
what is their best rock album?
>>
>>61155247
Today probably
>>
>>61154772
>The experimental psych pop
>experimental
>beach boys
I want poptimists to leave
>>
>>61156181
Spector sound was indeed experimental
>>
>>61154745
aren't they?
>>
>>61156181
i don't think you know what any of those words mean anon
>>
>>61156181
>I don't know what music was like when the Beach Boys were around
>>
>>61157690
The Beach Boys formed in 1961. By that point, futurism, modernism, noise, EAI, etc. were are established and flourishing genres. Stockhausen had been active for years, Penderecki was begininng his career and had already released his most famous work. Cage was fully established. Russolo had come and gone and left his enormous mark on music. Hell, even in the realms of popular music, Zappa had already been actively making music got 6 years before the BEach Boys had even met.

But I'm guessing you're only talking about radio pop music, right? Pleb.
>>
>>61157818
>But I'm guessing you're only talking about radio pop music, right? Pleb.

That's literally what the first reply said.

Confirmed retard.
>>
>>61157855
>That's literally what the first reply said
>"I mean they made pretty straightforward surf rock and roll songs for most of their career besides the late 60s-early 70s so its not inaccurate. The experimental psych pop era was a small portion of the Beach Boys discography"
>no mention of radio pop music anywhere in the thread

I don't know what you mean by "first reply", and I don't know what point YOU'RE trying to prove, but I do know that the point that I'm arguing is that, even at the earliest point of their career, the Beach Boys were nowhere near the avant-garde or experimental in the slightest. Even by the time they reached their "experimental" phase they were even farther from the cutting edge of music. They were safe, pop music that ended up having an above average producer. If the Beach Boys had never tuched a studio but still performed all the songs that they did, they would have zero recognition. Their recording were neat, not their songs.
>>
>>61157818
>6 years before the BEach Boys had even met.
You know this was a band primarily composed of family members, right? Zappa would have to have started in the 30s for your claim to be accurate.
>>
>>61157948
They were experimental within the realm of pop music, this isn't difficult to understand.
>>61157948
>Their recording were neat, not their songs.
In a music world dominated by recordings this isn't some fact that should make them less in your eyes.
>>
>>61157961
>Zappa would have to have started in the 30s for your claim to be accurate.

Birth name : Brian Douglas Wilson
Born: June 20, 1942 (age 73)

"At some point in 1961 he wrote his first all-original melody, loosely based on a Dion and the Belmonts version of "When You Wish Upon a Star". The song was eventually known as "Surfer Girl". Though an early demo of the song was recorded in February 1962 at World-Pacific Studios, it was not re-recorded and released until 1963, when it became a top-ten hit.[29]"
>>
>>61158040
>They were experimental within the realm of pop music, this isn't difficult to understand.
>Poptimism
>>
>>61158060
That's not when they met you dingus. If you made the claim that Zappa had started 6 years before the Beach Boys as a band had FORMED I wouldn't have bothered replying. They met quite a long time before that.
>>
>>61158077
>the mere concept of pop music = poptimism
Hmm, ok then
>>
>>61158082
>Hiding behind pedantics

If you want to get that anal about wording, I'm sure Frank Zappa banged a pot on the ground or babbled some sing-songy baby talk when he was one year old, two years before Brian Wilson was born. His baby noises could be classified as strange outsider art and the beginnings of his career as a musician.

See how stupid that sounds? That's the asshole you're being right now.
>>
>>61158133
I'm not hiding behind pedantics, that was a blatant error to make that I was correcting. Most people reading this thread would agree you're the one being a pedantic asshole, given your spurging out over whether or not they should be classified as experimental pop.
>>
>>61158110
>Saying that pop music should be classified and examined upon different standards as art music yet still be taken as seriously = poptimism.

It's the separate, yet equal of the music world. And just as inapropriate.
>>
>>61158181
You realize this is a thread created specifically to discuss whether The Beach Boys are a rock or experimental pop band, right? Like, that's the entire purpose of this thread. I could see you having a point if this was an unrelated thread, but this thread was LITERALLY (and I mean that in the definitive term) created for this exact discussion.
>>
>>61158077
they were experimental relative to their previous output, just like radiohead were experimental on kid a or linkin park on a thousand suns or whatever
its relative
>>
>>61158181
>Thread about whether Beach Boys are rock or experimental pop
>Stop talking about whether Beach Boys are rock or experimental pop
>>
>>61158244
>>61158232
The OP merely brought up the discussion of whether or not they're classified as a rock band. The experimental discussion came after. Immediately after, mind you, but it still wasn't included since the inception of the thread like you're saying.
>>
"Experimental" is a nonexistent genre of music that gets applied to any form of music the speaker wants to compliment.

If you call something experimental, or if you get upset about whether or not something is experimental enough to earn the label of experimental, you're pretentious and you don't know how to argue.
>>
>>61158286
So what was OPs implication when he questiond the application of the term "rock band"? Was this thread just created to state that someone on wikipedia wrote they were a rock band? Or was the implication that they were definitely not a rock band and they were a pop group. Regardless, I don't know what point you're trying to prove here, if there even is one that you're trying to make.
>>
File: Halsey_-_Badlands.png (141 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Halsey_-_Badlands.png
141 KB, 300x300
>>61158295
>Hey guys this is the most experimental album of the year! Why? Because I say it is. Anything can be experimental if I decide to compliment it as such.
>>
File: Teardrop-Tattoo.jpg (72 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
Teardrop-Tattoo.jpg
72 KB, 800x1000
>>61157818
>>61157690

BTFO!
>>
>they didn't make cock rock like AC/DC therefore they're not rock

Holy shit is /mu/ fucking retarded?

Beach Boys are rock music.

>>61154772
>psych music isn't rock

You poptimist fags are in such denial that you have to pretend this shitty band isn't rock music... KEK
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.