[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Great artists who still release albums to this day, but
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
ITT: Great artists who still release albums to this day, but nobody cares

it's kind of sad.
>>
>>61153807
thats because music is a young mans game
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAnpgVNGsaE

or was this more successful than I realize
>>
Marketing a fifty year old man is way harder than marketing a 20 year old. This is the stage where the true artists are uncovered, OP, but they will never reach the mainstream again. It doesn't matter though, if it enriches your life it's done its job.
>>
>>61153812
Nah just rock and pop. I mean nobody gave a damn if Pete Segar was strumming folk songs at 90. Of course it'd have been silly to have him be that old and grabbing his crotch going "Awww get down on da dance floah shake it honey fuck me baby fuck me fuck me fuck me."

Grace Slick said you can do any music genre at any age except those two particular ones.
>>
>>61153982
>Nah just rock and pop

That's what I just said in the post you replied to, shitface.
>>
>>61153982
Ok yeah...I know Johnny Cash was 70 and near death when he...but he wasn't a rock or pop artist.
>>
>>61153994
You just said "music" without specifying the genres you meant.
>>
>>61154044
I clearly meant pop music since that's what most of the board is focused on, no?
>>
Wasn't Sinatra like 62 when he had his last big hit with New York, New York?
>>
File: Dylan.jpg (58 KB, 410x520) Image search: [Google]
Dylan.jpg
58 KB, 410x520
I mean, who the fuck listened to his Sinatra cover album? I really enjoy his music and still i didn't even listened to the singles of the album.
>>
>>61154080
See again, he wasn't doing >>61153982 genres and he'd been adult contemp since the 50s, not teenybopper pop. Many artists fall apart as they get older because they never had a name for themselves outside of the 12 year old demographic and they don't really give a shit about music, just that the artist is young and cute.

That applies to rock and pop groups to a large extent - their target audience were always middle schoolers and eventually got too old for that shit and then had nothing else to fall back on because they never evolved artistically.
>>
>>61154145
Given what passes for his "vocals" these days, I don't understand why Bob thought he could imaginably perform those songs. In fact I don't think he could have done them when he was 30.
>>
>>61154153
Then again, all the kids in the 60s went ape poopy for bluesmen like Muddy Waters who was like in his late 50s back then.
>>
De La Soul
Paul Simon
>>
>>61154198
In that case, it was about rebellion because black music was seen as something edgy and dangerous to sheltered white suburban kids. It didn't matter that Muddy was almost 60, it was more a case of "Oh my dad thinks coons are all white virgin-raping degenerates, Which is pretty cool. I'm gonna give their tunes a spin."

But 60s kids wouldn't have touched Bing Crosby because he was just an uncool old white guy that their parents liked.
>>
>>61154242
Hey, Pete Seegar was out there among all the Occupy Wall Street kids who were like 60 years younger than him. Why do kids and grandparents get along so well? Because they have a common enemy.
>>
>>61154242
But he was black anyway. Old black guys are cool, old white guys are not.
>>
It's not so much age as your ability to be controversial and edgy because that's what appeals to kids.
>>
>>61154263
this is very true
>>
>>61154198
>>61154242
Ah yeah that's interesting how all the white hippie kids back then got into the blues even though most of those guys were their parents' age and you weren't supposed to trust anyone over 30.
>>
>>61154220
De la soul raised 600k on kickstarter,

>>61154327
does that mean the only relevant musicians are the ones kids care about? Like Rolling Stone magazine and all that boomer shit put Bob Dylan and Keith Richards' garbage albums on there year end list, almost out of tribute
>>
>>61154153
Acdc is the exception to that rule. Their fan base just gets bigger. Fucking derros. They do put on a pretty fun show though
>>
>>61153807
"Under The Greystar" from the Primitive Radio Gods album "Still Electric" (2003) went more or less unnoticed, but it's probably the best song they ever did since their 1980's incarnation as "The I-Rails."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZYC7NtRSt8
>>
>>61154393
>does that mean the only relevant musicians are the ones kids care about?

Well, kind of because children are the future and whatever appeals to them will shape the direction of things for the next few decades. Let's move away from music for a moment and use an example of politics. Usually, and I'm referring to presidential elections in particular, the guy that appeals to young voters ends up winning, The young are more fickle and less wed to a particular party. It's generally old people who vote rigidly on party lines and it doesn't matter who's running, their mind is already made up that they're going to push the D or R button in November.
>>
>>61154153
Frank Sinatra originally was a teenybopper idol who fell on hard times in the 50s until he reinvented himself as an adult artist and that was where he had his greatest success and nearly all the songs he's remembered for.
>>
>>61154393
That last record Johnny Winter put out before he died wasn't bad, but it was fairly obvious that the target audience was 50 year olds, not kids especially given the collection of geezers playing with him like Joe Perry and Eric Clapton.
>>
>>61154487
>>61154393
Albert King - Born On A Bad Sign was a much more relevant album at that time than whatever the fuck Bing Crosby was doing. In fact AK was really the last pre-rock artist to put out trend-setting material that got the kids going.
>>
>>61154066
there are multiple levels to the retardation in this post/you it's actually kind of impressive
>>
>>61154242
>>61154561
Ok but there's a matter of genres as well. Electric blues is directly relevant and related to rock while the kind of stuff Crosby or the Andrews Sisters or whatever did was a completely different form of music and they didn't play a guitar.

It would have been piss-easy for Led Zeppelin to cover Muddy Waters, covering Perry Como not so much.
>>
>>61154145
I own Shadows In The Night
>>
>>61154592
That is true however many of the 60s-70s rockers were also into jazz or dabbled with that so Duke Ellington was definitely relevant to them. The kids definitely knew about Buddy Rich thanks to his TV performances for all the world that he crapped on rock every chance he got.
>>
>>61153807
And many older artists don't get attention because the material they put out is a shitty paint-by-numbers version of their old classics, often just to promote a tour.
>>
>>61154487

by children you mean like teenagers and people in their 20s right?
>>
>>61154731

late teens*. people ITT are mentioning literal 12 year olds which is kind of fucked up.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.