[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Musicians that people name-check but don't actually listen to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 136023950[1].jpg (161 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
136023950[1].jpg
161 KB, 1000x1000
Pic is most certainly related.
>>
>>61148610
why did i waste my time listening to him =(
>>
>>61148650
I actually did listen to his stuff and couldn't get into it. It's just not my style, and the recording quality itself was fairly poor.

I guess if you were a British teenager in the 1950's it might have been kind of novel, though.
>>
>>61148725
I think you're just projecting on to other people anon. I know we usually say that jokingly but I seriously doubt you have any actual evidence or reason to believe that people who claim to like Johnson don't actually listen to him bar your own experience.
>>
>>61148725
>the recording quality itself was fairly poor.
comes with the whole "listening to blues recorded in the 30s" territory
>>
I'm kind of convinced 20's & 30's music is something only wildly depressed people that are totally cut off from the world can really enjoy
Having said that though I'd take Blind Willie or Tommy Johnson or Charley over Robert any day, I have no idea why he got singled out as the master of delta blues
Probably cause led zeppelin and the doors wow embarrasing
>>
>>61148785
Blind Willie Johnson. Fuck yeah.
>>
>>61148785
Blind Lemon is also the dude
>>
>>61148785
>I have no idea why he got singled out as the master of delta blues
From a technical standpoint, his guitar arrangements are incredible and his vocal and playing style were soulful in a way that really personified the blues but at the same time, he took in a lot of influence form other musical movements of the time.
He was just a more versatile, skilled and inventive singer and guitarist than his contemporaries.
Personal taste is playing a bigger part in your preferences here than Johnson's ability. There's damn good reason he was singled out.
>>
>>61148785
>I have no idea why he got singled out as the master of delta blues

Most Blues fans would probably honor Son House with that label.

I think Johnson is hyped over his contemporaries, because he was the first Delta blues artist those bands probably heard.

I don't think Johnson is overrated, though.
>>
>>61148785
>I'm kind of convinced 20's & 30's music is something only wildly depressed people that are totally cut off from the world can really enjoy

File under: hits uncomfortably close to home

Good looks on the Charley Patton though, was just listening to him this morning.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.