[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So this was pretty much just a fluke right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Cover.jpg (24 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
24 KB, 960x960
So this was pretty much just a fluke right?
>>
>>61147839
yeah
>>
>>61147839
Nah it's a good record but enjoying it is a meme
>>
>>61147839

New Bermuda is a better album.
>>
>>61147839

best thrash metal album of recebnt years :)
>>
>>61147839
Best metal album I've heard and I don't even like metal
>>
>>61147839
best indie pop album of the decade
>>
>>61149032
no
>>
New Bermuda or New Members: The Album

the next one will be better
>>
i think it's good but a lot of it is clearly down to the production. their black metal side on sunbather is mediocre but kerry's slowcore pieces are super good. i hate new bermuda because they tried so hard to be groundbreaking and pushing the boundaries of metal, resulting in a record that's quintessentially obnoxious hipster shit.
>>
>>61149032
Yeah
>>
>>61150884
Really? I thought sunbather was much more boundary pushing. Like obviously the ambient/slowcore/whatever songs weren't anything exceptionally inventive but sticking them between blackened post rock was kind of boundary pushing.

New Bermuda fell back on a lot of classic black/death/thrash riffing with occasional post-rock breakdowns, nothing really new
>>
Evidently not because New Bermuda is also excellent.

I kind of go back and forth between preferring Sunbather and New Bermuda though. At first I thought New Bermuda was by far and away the superior album, however after listening to it every day for a week, taking a week off, and then listening to Sunbather again tonight, I appreciate Sunbather more and right now I'm liking it a little better, aside from that one obnoxiously retarded, worthless "Please Remember" track.

I do agree with >>61150884 though, in a way. When listening to it I occasionally get the feeling that New Bermuda is slightly tryhard, at least relative to Sunbather but I think overall too. I also sometimes feel it sounds kind of derivative, particularly the solo-esque parts. I swear I've heard a lot of those riffs, or major parts of them, from a bunch of other songs, but maybe it's just me.

Either way both albums are among my favorite of all time and I can't wait to see Deafheaven live when they open for LoG.
>>
>>61147839
I feel it was a fluke in the sense that contextually, this album really captured the heart kerry and george were pouring into it; they've mentioned a few times that they were broke as shit before this was recorded so emotionally they had all engines fired.

I always sort of look at it as a sort of concept album though, in a very loose sense. The dichotomy between the lyrical themes and the shoegazy parts of the 4 main tracks take you from brooding to warm and glossy in a way that i've never heard from any metal influenced band. A lot of metal bands will do that tropey melodic and 'poetic' sappy song but it always feels so cliche when compared to this, where it felt very fitting and fleshed out well on sunbather.

I also really loved how there wasnt any fucking chugging on any of the tracks.
>>
>>61151314
With Anthrax too, right anon? gonna be one hell of a confusing crowd for that next year.
>>
>>61149749
>>61148865
>deafheaven fans
>>
Roads to Judah > Sunbather > Demo > New Bermuda
>>
>>61147839
yeah new bermuda was shit
>>
>>61151314
>I'm liking it a little better, aside from that one obnoxiously retarded, worthless "Please Remember" track.
It gets good after the dumb poetry part though.
>>
It were a trick, not a fluke
>>
>>61151904
>chugging

Both times I've seen them live they save Sunbather for their final piece and string out the melody present at like 9:20 into whats essentially a breakdown. Once they complete a few measures of that heavy, sappy chug Kerry kicks into an extended groovy solo. They've refashioned Sunbather for their live performances and it sounds even better; I love the chug. I loved New Bermuda too, I thought that album was very heavy. It wasn't as refreshing or relate-able as Sunbather, but still solid. From the Kettle Onto the Coil is one of their best live pieces, its fantastic.
>>
Sunbather was a strange idea, it's pretty hard to argue against that. The fact that it turned it so great is indeed a fluke.
>>
Why are they called Deafhaven?

Because you have to be deaf to enjoy their music.
>>
>>61147839
good album desu>>61147839
>>
>>61151904
It is a concept album
>>
>>61156951
eh, it can easily be interpreted as one but they have said themselves that it isn't meant to be.
i guess they fluked that too.
>>
>>61157238
Really? I remember reading something about how the title referred to a woman Goerge saw tanning and it made him think of having the kind of lifestyle that would afford him that luxury, or even being that woman, and the songs all revolving around that idea. Maybe it was BS.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.