[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
GEMA shit - Germany censorship
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (123 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
123 KB, 1920x1080
Anyone from Germany here?

Been studying in Germany for 3 months, and man I fucking hate GEMA. I hope their children get eaten by dogs.

How the fuck is this censorship even possible in a constitutional state? I'm from Austria, and it's a thousand times better place when it comes to personal freedom.
>>
>>61119914
>my personal freedom
>to distribute someone else's intellectual property
Ugh
>>
>>61119914
Just use a proxy dude wtf
Look up proxtube
>>
>censorship
>preventing access to illegal media
lmao OK entitlement era kid
>>
>>61119947
>>61119981
When did this board get so whiny?
>>
>>61119981
>youtube
>illegal media

am i being memed on here
>>
>>61120003
The OP is the whiny one.
>>61120019
Most of the songs and albums posted on YouTube are illegal, kid.
>>
>>61120003
didn't you hear?

young people don't care about inalienable rights anymore. they just want to be comfy.
>>
>>61120037
Maybe if you are in a shitty country.
>>
>>61119981
>music videos
>"illegal media"

nice try shill
>>
>>61120052
>all media should be free!!!1!
I remember being 16 without a job.
>>
>>61119981
How is it censorship?
>>61119981
Ooops you meant to quote >>61119914
>>
just use a browser addon like proxflow or something lol
>>
>>61120037
>most of the songs and albums posted on YouTube are illegal, kid.
Dude you fucked up what does that shit even mean get a new brain or something
>>
>>61120056
Why would GEMA block legally posted music videos on VEVO?
>>
>>61119947
Intellectual property is an outdated concept invented so that 19th century engineers would have something to eat.

If you believe someone has the rights to something eternally because "I said it first" you are truly a dumb shit.
>>
>>61120077
Oh did the uploaders get a mechanical license to upload other people's music?
>>61120082
See above
>>
>>61120086
>Intellectual property is an outdated concept invented
>because I don't want to pay for luxury items
lol
>>
>>61120098
VEVO is legal you tard.
I'm asking why GEMA would block legally provided videos (if they do, I have yet to receive an answer).

It's more likely that OP just wanted content for free.
>>
>>61120118
Oh did the uploaders get a mechanical license to upload other people's music?
>>
>>61120098
lol u fucking retard
>>
>>61120112
What "luxury item" is a music video you imbecile?

It's just 0s and 1s, exchange of information.

I swear to god, censorship rhetoric is the dumbest shit ever. No government would ever pass any censorship law if the music industry didn't have gigantic lobbies.
>>
>>61120127
Do you not know what VEVO is?
>>61120153
Is /mu/ high school on winter break?
>>
>>61120118
>I'm asking why GEMA would block legally provided videos

That's the point, I have no fucking idea! Probably to make extra cash for no reason. "Livin la vida loca English" is a legally provided video by Ricky Martin VEVO. Use a German proxy - good luck finding it on vevo.com or YT.
>>
>>61120153
>What "luxury item" is a music video
Music is a luxury item. It's not required for your survival, and it's simply an indulgence. it's costs money to make, and is sold.
>It's just 0s and 1s, exchange of information.
Information can be patented and copyrighted.
>censorship rhetoric
How is it censorship?
>>
>>61120188
>Do you not know what VEVO is?
Of course but but you didn't answer the question. Try again.
>>
>>61120198
>"Livin la vida loca English" is a legally provided video by Ricky Martin VEVO. Use a German proxy - good luck finding it on vevo.com or YT.
thanks for letting me know, that is bullshit there.
I thought you were trying to access [FULL ALBUM RIP] videos not Vevo.
>>
>>61120188
>Is /mu/ high school on winter break?

Nice rebuttal. I'm a CS grad, so I know quite a bit more about exchange of information than you. Not that I'm bragging (it really isn't a hard degree compared to maths), it's just that you're an uneducated imbecile.
>>
>>61120202
>Information can be patented and copyrighted.

That is circular logic my dumb friend.

>How is it censorship?

Because it's my fucking human right to tell any other human any kind of information I like. A bunch of 0s and 1s is just a special case of that.
>>
>>61120276
>That is circular logic my dumb friend
Not really. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright
>Because it's my fucking human right to tell any other human any kind of information I like.
It's not. See See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright

You are not intelligent.
>>
>>61120228
It's just one case of many. Actually most of the videos provided by VEVO are blocked on YT and vevo.com.

I don't know what the point of this is. Probably so you pay fees to GEMA that they can "redistribute to the artists/companies" or some bullshit like that.
>>
>>61120320
>some bullshit
>>
>>61120249
Just because you and I both know that data is 0's and 1's doesn't make it free.
>>
>>61120305
>Not really.

You just argued that Information should be patented because it should be patented. Maybe you should wikipedia "circular logic" instead.

I hate to break it to you, but linking to some wikipedia article will generally not relief you of formulating an argument in a debate.
>>
>>61120424
>You just argued that Information should be patented
Quote me where I said that.
>Maybe you should wikipedia "circular logic" instead.
Maybe you should wikipedia strawman logic instead
>but linking to some wikipedia article will generally not relief you of formulating an argument in a debate
Well if you want me to personally instruct you the inner workings of copyright law, it'll cost you.
>>
>>61120331
Look man, I know it's a touchy topic for /mu/, but intellectual property rights have not helped a single musican ever - they only exist for the big music companies.

I don't have a lot of money. So I will never ever ever pay 20€ for a music album, for something that is just an trivially reproducible sequence of 0s and 1s. If you don't censor it and I enjoy your music, I'll go to your concert and gladly pay the ticket because I'm paying for something real. If you censor your music however, you'll neither get exposure nor money.

If I had lots of money however, I would buy your 20€ album regardless if it's available for free or not.

I hope you understand how dumb censorship is. You are not entitled to millions only because you made a popular song, learn some fucking humility.
>>
>>61120557
>but intellectual property rights have not helped a single musican ever
They've helped me.
>>
>>61120675
elaborate pls
>>
>>61120729
I've made money from my music.

You?
>>
>>61119963
>>61120069
Totally forgot to thank you guys in the heat of the debate!

Thank you, works great! The only thing is that youtube already censors my results in the search itself so I have to search with a proxy, then load the link in normal browsing mode. Is there a way around this?

Cheers
>>
>>61120742
I'm glad for you. Now you just need to elaborte how IP rights helped you make money from your music.

Or did people just randomly hear about you, then search you on youtube, and after finding nothing decided to blindly cop your album? Because that would not make any sense.
>>
>>61120742

>musicians never made money from music before copyright law

Did your parents drop you on your head, or are you just in the middle of your 'being a massive faggot' artistic phase?
>>
>>61120902
kek'd
>>
>>61120835
>Now you just need to elaborte how IP rights helped you make money from your music
People bough my music, which is my intellectual property.
>>61120902
Non sequitur
>>
>>61120557
>I don't have a lot of money. So I will never ever ever pay 20€ for a music album
Then don't complain if the makers of that music/film won't let you have it.

>what is entitlement
>>
>>61121013
>People bough my music, which is my intellectual property.

You still haven't told me how IP rights helped you.

To anticipate your reply: You didn't sell music because of IP rights you dummy, you sold music because people with enough spare money wanted to support you. Hope you understand that some day.

>>61121213
>Then don't complain if the makers of that music/film won't let you have it.

I'm not complaining about that at all. I'm complaining that free sharing of information is criminalized. I'm complaining that companies have the right to censor what people view on the Internet.
>>
>>61121527
>You still haven't told me how IP rights helped you.
They helped establish I was creating an orignal work, which allowed me to sell it as just that.
>I'm complaining that free sharing of information is criminalized
Nice circular logic.
>>
>>61121579
>They helped establish I was creating an orignal work, which allowed me to sell it as just that.

So nobody believed you were creating original work before IP rights? That doesn't make any fucking sense my man.

>Nice circular logic.

This word doesn't mean what you think it means. IP rights are in conflict with free speech, that's just the nature of digital information. As homework you can read up which one is more important.
>>
>>61121976
>So nobody believed you were creating original work before IP rights?
So you think I was making music in 1682?
>This word doesn't mean what you think it means
No I'm using it correctly. You just argued that free speech shouldn't be copyrighted because it's free speech. Maybe you should wikipedia "circular logic" instead.
>IP rights are in conflict with free speech
That's nice, but you don't get to decide whihc speech belongs in which category. Stop complaining about it.
>that's just the nature of digital information
Apparently not, since GEMA and other regulatory entities exist
>As homework you can read up which one is more important.
I hate to break it to you, but linking to some wikipedia article will generally not relief you of formulating an argument in a debate.
>>
>>61122935
>So you think I was making music in 1682?

So you admit never having tried to sell music without IP rights protection, yet you believe it had a positive effect on your sales?

>You just argued that free speech shouldn't be copyrighted because it's free speech.

That's not circular logic, "tautology" is the word you are looking for. Circular logic is when you want to prove something, but you use the same thing as premise.

That nowadays world needs tautologies pointed out is a sad thing indeed.

Free speech is not about categories, it's the mere statement that a human may say anything and other may listen - even if what he says is a bunch of 0s and 1s. If you try to define "categories" free speed can't be free anymore.

>Apparently not, since GEMA and other regulatory entities exist

And yet I pirate music and film all day every day with no one stop me because it isn't illegal. I can still go to piratebay and download anything I like. GEMA and all the other shit organizations have no ground in law.

You seriously need me to formulate why free speech is more important than IP rights? If you can't figure that out for yourself you're dumb as a brick my friend.
>>
>>61120557
So are you implying CDs aren't real or what? Because to me it seems like you have it ass backwards. Paying money for a cd- that's something you hold in your hand not just a stack of 0 and 1 lol wtf? When you go to a concert you're paying for a piece of paper that grants admission to listen to the 0s and 1s. What are u doin man. Either way both of these things cost money to make
>>
>>61123248
>So you admit never having tried to sell music without IP rights protection, yet you believe it had a positive effect on your sales?
The second an artistic work is created, the first copyright is owned by the artist. It is not possible to sell an original composition without. Read up on copyright law
>Free speech is not about categories, it's the mere statement that a human may say anything and other may listen - even if what he says is a bunch of 0s and 1s.
*unless it infringes on the rights of artists in regards to their own artistic works. Not all 0s and 1s are equal.
>And yet I pirate music and film all day every day with no one stop me because it isn't illegal.
lol
>You seriously need me to formulate why free speech is more important than IP rights?
Yep. Do it.
>>61120276
That's not circular logic, "tautology" is the word you are looking for. Circular logic is when you want to prove something, but you use the same thing as premise.

That nowadays world needs tautologies pointed out is a sad thing indeed.
>>
File: image.jpg (102 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102 KB, 480x640
Very dumb thread all bad arguments. Better luck next time op
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.