[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do any of you guys write reviews, like on a personal blog or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: imgres.jpg (9 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
9 KB, 225x225
Do any of you guys write reviews, like on a personal blog or on RYM? If so, I'd like to read some of the stuff you guys write. You can read some of my reviews on RYM (https://rateyourmusic.com/~jmarcus42) or link right to my blog where I cover film as well (jmarcus42.wordpress.com). I just want to see what other people are writing about! Pic unrelated.
>>
File: 1449061133211.jpg (57 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
1449061133211.jpg
57 KB, 640x960
>>61117958
Your reviews are embarassing and laughably pseudo-intellectual. Delete your reviews, delete your profile, never visit /mu/ again.

seriously, introducing art angels with:
>Aristocracy has always believed that works of high art have some ephemeral ability to instill moral goodness in people

ahaahahha
>>
>>61119292
Guess you haven't read David Byrne's how music works then.
>>
>>61119378
dude i'm literally a journalist. it's pure shit i'm sorry
>>
>>61119400
Can I read some of your stuff?
>>
>>61119400
time to dodge being bitchmode anon

>>61119409
>>61119409
>>
File: actor_11537.jpg (18 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
actor_11537.jpg
18 KB, 210x240
>>61117958
>favorite artists: Boards of Canada, Beck, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Kendrick Lamar, Radiohead, Tame Impala, Deerhunter
>giving Grimes and Courtney Barnett 4 stars
>>
>>61119504
I don't understand your point.
>>
>>61117958
>Pet Sounds, King Crimson - 3 stars
>Four stars are all /mu/core
>Gives Art Angels four stars when he's never reviewed Visions

lamo
>>
>>61119688
Haven't listened to enough of Visions to give it a fair rating.
>>
File: Moon Dog.jpg (57 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Moon Dog.jpg
57 KB, 500x375
Knock yourself out: https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/Sheogoraththemad/reviews

It's actually been a while since I wrote a lot, it's something that I want to start with again.
>>
most people know them already but

https://rateyourmusic.com/~boldfaure
>>
>>61119688
I also think though, that works should be judged as independent pieces of art separate from the rest of an artists discography. If you've listened to an extensive amount of an artist's discography, there's going to be some inherent bias when reviewing something new; whether conscious or subconscious.

That's just what I believe though.
>>
>>61119758
Enjoyed your Pinkerton review, it's always hardest to talk about the music that we hold closest to us. I'm a big fan of the blue album, but haven't gone back to Pinkerton in a while.
>>
>>61119846
Although Pinkerton is still very close to me, I feel The Monitor has since surpassed it as my favorite album. I guess that's why I find it hard to review it now, even though I have a thousand things to say about it.

Thanks by the way.
>>
>>61119775
feck off
>>
>>61119775
I always had trouble describing Death Grips music, but your Powers that B review is quite good. Finding a connection in the disconnect between the two records was pretty astute. Also, your Jamie xx review rings pretty true to me. I like his stuff, and his mixes are great, but his album is just a little undewhelming.
>>
>>61119400
is this a new meme

probably a freelance writer who writes for buzzfeed tho
>>
>>61119907
What are your favorite albums from this year? Not sure if you are still following the thread.
>>
I started writing reviews for my school newspaper
>>
>>61120156
Link?
>>
>>61117958

>"Aristocracy has always believed that works of high art have some ephemeral ability to instill moral goodness in people."

Just review the fucking music, you cringe-inducing loser.
>>
>>61120259
Its intentionally wordy did you read the whole review?
>>
well uh, know yourself out

be warned though, most of these are just drunken rants (literally, i only write shit when i'm drunk) so i can't see someone like you (your reviews and ratings are fucking laughable, by the way) enjoying it
~
https://rateyourmusic.com/~duartemartinho
>>
>>61120123
The new Titus Andronicus records and the new Tricot release are probably my favorites, although Newsom's new album is also slowly becoming better.
>>
>>61120332
We both like NLDW. You're also judging like crazy...
>>
>>61117958
I review stuff for a blog in my free time. Most of the music I get sent is shit but it is free and I trade in the stuff I don't like to record stores when I am done with it. My goal this coming year is to get published on a couple better known sites then use it as a springboard to freelance for alt press publications.
>>
>>61120402
Link?
>>
>>61119409
>no response
kek journalist more like autist
>>
>>61120378
it's because i'm drunk i think, i really don't mean it, but you struck me as kind of Hampus-ish
no aggressiveness with me, i think music is mostly a positive experience

my reviews are positive for the most part though, except i tend to go apeshit on some albums like Loveless, which i wrote a big, non nonsensical review and i can't really understand it even if i know what i meanr
>>
>>61120423
I also view music as a positive experience. I also want to find that Loveless review, because that's one of my favorite albums.
>>
>>61120423
Also, I agree with you about Moonchild. I don't quite understand the improv bits.
>>
>>61120174
It's print only
It's a high school newspaper
It's very different that what I thought writing about music would be like. On one hand I have a positive outlet for talking about music, which I love. It's also kind of hard tho because I have to keep myself and check and not sperg out over like an ambient or an emo album because I know no one will care/read it. I had to tweak my top 10 for this reason
>>
>>61120446
i only have 4 pages worth of reviews so it shouldn't be hard, although i'd say don't bother
>>
>>61120492
Ah that's tough. For my school paper, I wrote about Godspeed, even though I knew a lot of people wouldn't care because that band is important to me. Who cares if no one cares or will read it. The best writing comes from what you believe is important. That's what I think anyway. If you are writing for other people, then is it really making you happy?
>>
>>61120407
Not going to viral it here. Plus honestly unless you are Anthony Fantano it's not a good idea to be associated with the hacker known as 4chan.
>>
>>61120423
So, I guess you think I am the "pretentious douche who pretends to be deep?" Haha, that's fair, and I can see why you would think that, but I really like Loveless not for the vocals (I can barely distinguish them either) but just for the guitar distortion and riffs. They affect me in ways that I'm not going to be able to explain, so I'm not going to try. They just sound good to me.
>>
>>61120561
pm on RYM?
>>
>>61120589
sounds fair to me, but the problem is how it's supposed and hyped as some expirience, and i just find it not true, and that IS true for a lot of other, seminal, universally acclaimed albums like Revolver (only beatles record i completely like) Pet Sounds, Paranoid, etc

i mean shit even Ok Computer is an adventure of sorts, just the first listen, after that it became boring, but it was still an adventure then
>>
>>61120364
Haven't listened to Titus Andronicus at all. It gets spammed on here a lot though. I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.
>>
>>61120630
I'm not up to date on my shoegaze history, but didn't that album really revolutionize that genre?
>>
>>61120630
I still like OK Computer, but that's because I'm pretty attached to Thom Yorke's voice. He keeps bringing me back again and again.
>>
>>61120678
it did, a lot, in fact
i also explain (used loosely here) why i hate the genre, so it means nothing to me

>>61120693
well, again, that's fair since voice is pretty subjective but i never really liked his voice

i think gruff or slightly harsh vocals like Tom Waits are better for emotional impact, but that's for me, obviously
>>
>>61120644
Oh? I rarely see them mentioned here. Well The Monitor might take some time to really get in, but I can assure you, if it's your kind of music, then you're gonna freaking love it.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.