[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's have a civilized discussion of TMR. I think people
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: front.jpg (19 KB, 455x455) Image search: [Google]
front.jpg
19 KB, 455x455
Let's have a civilized discussion of TMR.

I think people make it seem like more of a difficult album than it is. Most likely because the first few songs are some of the most chaotic. There are plenty of relatively straightforward songs like Moonlight on Vermont and Sugar and Spikes.

What do you honestly think of TMR or Beefheart in general. Posts including the words "scaruffi", "patrician" or "pleb" will be instantly discarded.
>>
>being afraid of the more experimental tracks

They're literally what makes the album
Fucking pussies
>>
>>61117748
The first time I listened i stared blankly to the wall while the music was played, later I reached veteran day poppies, kinda sounded like a normal song. I didn't like it, even i tried to listen to it multiples times, five or six. People say it's good, but to me was a hobo screaming to a mic.
>>
The only thing that bother's me is, you know, the sax.

I mostly used the Captain's voice as sort of an anchor for a semblance of structure and I had a decently enjoyable experience.

I mean, it's just the blues! It's not like you're listening to Nurse With Wound (though the Captain DID influence NWW a whole lot).
>>
it's ultimately pretty accessible and fun music, but defies many conventions so it takes some getting used to
>>
>>61117831
see, the first time I listened to it, after it was done I turned off the speakers and then went "well shit".

Listened to it probably 20 times in the last five years or so and it's grown on me every time. Each song has so many different parts to focus on. It sounds overwhelming at first but when you single out the individual parts it gets more interesting.

>>61117872
NWW is certainly more difficult to get into, at least TMR has some sense of grooves
>>
>>61117831
It's probably the most accessible song on the album
>>
File: australianaboriginal.jpg (195 KB, 531x800) Image search: [Google]
australianaboriginal.jpg
195 KB, 531x800
It's not "difficult", it just sounds bad. It was composed on a piano by a guy who didn't know the first thing about composing music or playing piano.

A band then transcribed his chaotic nonsense and it came out like shit, to no one's surprise.
>>
>>61117962
is that David Pajo from Slint?
>>
>>61117962
I see you make this argument in every single TMR thread and I don't understand why. He's not classically trained?
>>
>>61118027
He wasn't trained at all. He didn't know anything about making music and hit notes on a piano trying to make something sound good.

Like all people who try to make music without knowing anything about music, it sounded like sloppy shit. Shocking really.
>>
What the fuck goes on in Pena and Hobo Chang Ba? Is that the Captain's voice?
>>
>>61118056
But that's not entirely true. Have you heard Safe As Milk or his earlier music?
>>
>>61118128
>Van Vliet used a piano—an instrument he had never played before—as his main compositional tool. Since he had no experience with the piano and no conventional musical knowledge at all, he was able to experiment with few preconceived ideas of musical form or structure.
>>
>>61118200
He had been playing blues professionally for the better part of decade at this point though
>>
>>61118200
obviously he had intuitive understanding of the blues

I really think what makes TMR great is the combination of that musical naivety combined to meticulous training to turn that into well rehearsed music
>>
in any case, it's worth always keeping in mind that Beefheart was a certified unstable weirdo - he was more of an autistic folk/blues prodigy than some kind of genius
>>
File: 51Vzf6qaTuL.jpg (52 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
51Vzf6qaTuL.jpg
52 KB, 500x498
superior album coming through.

Anyone see that Frank movie? supposedly based on how TMR was made. i guess if you had a crazy guy lock everyone in a house to make weird shit it would be worth at least a listen.
>>
>>61118365
they ran on beans
>>
Dali's Car, Moonlight on Vermont and Veteran's Day Poppy are the only songs worth listening to
>>
>>61118278
this basically

i hate the discussion of this album on this board because people always try to defend for example frownland with fluctuating time signatures and whatnot.
the point of this album is that it doesnt appease to musical elitism at all.It's just Don Van Vliet believing this rythm is amazing and if you cant feel the individualistic energy then i should suggest listening to Zappa.
>>
>>61118685
>i only like the accessible tracks

Nah, you're a cunt
>>
I know a couple people similar to the Captain. They are insufferable people with strange ideas but inexplicably have some kind of social magnet that keeps other people around. Even if their ideas are bad or simply insane, no one has the guts to shut them down.

TMR is the musical result of this behaviour
>>
>>61118827
>le "accessibility" meme
Stop posting m8
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.