[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So the year is almost over. What was your jazz AOTY? Better yet,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9
File: 600x600-3.jpg (47 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
600x600-3.jpg
47 KB, 600x600
So the year is almost over. What was your jazz AOTY? Better yet, post your top five or top ten jazz albums for the year.
>>
nodobody likes jazz anymore. its 2015
>>
>>61086095
the epic
>>
Personal choice.
>>
File: cf322cd-cover-1500-1024x1024[1].jpg (263 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
cf322cd-cover-1500-1024x1024[1].jpg
263 KB, 1024x1024
>>61086095
Haven't listened to that one yet but I'm sure it's great because I love everything Taiborn and Cleaver play together

I thought that this recording was just awesome, very ambitious considering the group but very modern and mind-bending shtuff
>>
>>61086111
>>
>>61086095
I was really dissapointed with Le Ebin so I spent most of the year exploring older jazz releases and haven't listened to any new stuff until about a month ago. My favorite so far is either Break Stuff by the Vijay Iyer Trio or Red & Black Light by Ibrahim Maalouf. This might change by the end of the year though, as I have about 15 more albums I want to listen to.
>>
>>61086095
>>
>>61086222
goddammit
>>
>planned to listen to at least 10 jazz albums this year
>only heard 2
>December 16

music for this feel?
>>
>>61086183
this is nice

wish it was on spotify
>>
>>61086538
you won't find any ECM albums on spotify
>>
>>61086095
oh cool to see someone else talking about Epicenter

Nine South sold me within the first 10 seconds and its only the first song
>>
>>6108659
it's unfortunate really
it turns me off as a consumer from buying any of their music
I'd like to listen to the album at least once before I purchase it, and there's no accessible way without pirating the album, at which point I already have the album and I'll just keep those files instead
>>
>>61086676
>it turns me off as a consumer from buying any of their music
it shouldn't, it's fucking ECM
literally everything they (read: Eicher) touches is gold
he believes very strongly in the album format and doesn't appreciate how streaming devalues that stuff. he has an audience that recognizes the quality of the entire catalogue so why should he sacrifice his art for /mu/tants who don't give a shit to begin with?
>>
Atomic- Lucidity
Mats Gustafsson- Hidros 6
Steve Coleman- Sinovial Joints
Tim Berne- You've Been Watching Me
Vijay Iyer- Break Stuff

Top 5
>>
File: dreamers.jpg (52 KB, 355x317) Image search: [Google]
dreamers.jpg
52 KB, 355x317
This was pretty good.
>>
Ye ah
>>
Reminder to post in the blindfold threads. We already had our 2015 releases theme but we could do another one if anybody wanted to.
>>
>>61087360
surprised to see this posted here
I don't know if it's fair to classify the Dreamers project as jazz, since it's pretty clearly rooted in rock and pop music. It also seems unfair to include it in a discussion of jazz music since the participants are some of the most accomplished musicians of the past twenty years. But yeah, their stuff ALWAYS puts me in a good mood and I was more than happy when this was released. Good summer album.
>>
I like these
>>
>>61086713
I'm unaware of how streaming devalues the format of an album.
>>
>>61089430
yeah well i'm sure you know a lot better than a literal musical genius in that regard

heaven forbid you google what he said, just talk about how Manfred Eicher knows less about music than you do, then wonder why your taste is too shitty to appreciate ECM releases
>>
>>61086204
Would you be so kind as to upload that, please <3
>>
>>61086095
Hey, OP, that's my aoty as well!
>>
>>61089719
I got it from soulseek,takes a while to get modern jazz these days but if you put in on your wishlist search it'll pop up before too long
>>
>>61086713
>what is Meredith monk
>what is Quercus
>what is Erkki-Sven Tüür
and those are just the ones I've heard

>>61089655
lmao look at all that projecting you're doing. also you act like musical genius somehow exempts him from being an idiot, jackass
>>
File: EDN1056_Verneri_Pohjola_Bullhorn.jpg (283 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
EDN1056_Verneri_Pohjola_Bullhorn.jpg
283 KB, 1500x1500
>>
>>61087139
>Atomic - Lucidity
my nigga
but Break stuff is meme jazz desu
>>
>>61090499
>meme jazz

please no
>>
>>61089655
fucking awesome reply

I literally said I have a lack of knowledge. I wanted to create discussion and you're power tripping over your own projections of who you think I am and what you think I said rather than what I actually said
>>
>>61086713
>>61090653
After looking him up I cant find anything about his philosophy on the album format other than that he's produced a few thousand and he just lets artists do their thing and if he likes them he put them on his label

I don't give a single fuck about him if there's no way I can easily listen to his shit. I'm sure "his" music is great and all, but how do you expect me to appreciate it if I can't drop $10 on an album I'm not even sure I'll appreciate enough to patronize?

I can't even buy a fucking digital download on that shitty site. Why alienate such a large user base from their music (there are many people like me, I'd imagine).

Who cares how a consumer listens to the music if they have payed you the money? Why make it intentionally more inconvenient to listen to the music if not only for the sake of fulfilling a superiority complex? These practices create artificial value through obscurity and do nothing to legitimately enhance the music.

It's people like you that turn people off from hearing this beautiful music you're talking about because of your air of superiority and extreme loyalty on such a subjective topic. It's toxic.
>>
>>61090844
whut. how the hell did you listen to music 15 years ago? And that's what reviewers/places like /mu/ are for. Also you're definitely spending more the 10 bucks on them, and its usually worth it, especially from an artist you're familiar with.

>>61090653
don't even try, annoyed is the biggest fucking queer, head to far up his own ass cause he listens to some contemporary jazz
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.