[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what age did you grow out of free jazz, /mu/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 1447433979716.jpg (93 KB, 738x560) Image search: [Google]
1447433979716.jpg
93 KB, 738x560
At what age did you grow out of free jazz, /mu/?
>>
>>61074212
nobody on /mu/ actually lieks free jazz, they just pretend to becasue they think it will make them look intellectual (or 'something) but the realit y is that most people who play free jazz do so becasue they can't really play tunes like normal jazz musicians.
>>
Free jazz a shit

Big band or GTFO
>>
I still haven't and I'm 23
>>
>most people who play free jazz do so becasue they can't really play tunes
There is some truth to this. The ones who can actually play tunefully are great though.
>>
>>61074212

Albert Ayer was an old favorite
>>
>>61074315

You're confusing free jazz with free improv.
>>
>>61074315
very few on /mu/ even pretend to like free jazz
>>
>>61074212
If you think you've grown out of free jazz, it's just because as people get older they generally become more closed-minded and narrow down their tastes (towards less adventurous styles of music) until they've settled to a final resting place of complacence and stagnation.
>>
>>61074315

I like it a bit, I think Machine Gun is a pretty good album, also Naked City although I'm not sure if the second is considered free jazz.
>>
>>61074315
Yeah because John Coltrane, Elvin Jones, Freddie Hubbard, Pharaoh Sanders, and Archie Shepp can't play tunes like normal Jazz musicians...
>>
>>61074212
i am still listenning to sun ra, which i love
don't know if his music can be considered as "free jazz" tho
>>
20-21. Used to listen to ascension all the time
>>
I didn't grow out of anything. I just expanded my horizons by listening to other genres of jazz most of the time.
>>
idk but just found this today. cool shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7GywyTdjyw&ab_channel=0Ld1rtylVlu5t4rd
>>
>>61075517
Sun Ra is dogshit. It's closer to outsider music than anything
>>
>>61075600
scaruffi and i don't agree
maybe one day i'll change my mind as i often did

he 's done a bunch of albums, i just can't get some of em
>>
>>61075670
he's done too many albums to get all of them, but he's also made enough that everyone can find something they like.

>>61074212
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx7PxYhgdbE
nah the best free jazz is flat out beautiful. It's not always about the pitching and screaming shit.
>>
>>61074315
0/10
>>
I feel like I should like jazz, but I can't really get into it. Bummer...
>>
>>61074315
Back to reddit you go.
>>
Never liked it.
Shit music.

Besides some Sun Ra of course.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.