[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://pitchfork.com/features/staff -lists/9764-the-50-best-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3
File: ToPimpAButterfly.0.jpg (83 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ToPimpAButterfly.0.jpg
83 KB, 600x600
http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9764-the-50-best-albums-of-2015/5/
>All of this Blackness is important. Important because sometimes white people need to take a metaphorical seat—to sit down, shut up, and listen to conversations in which they are a cultural object, not the center. This is not an easy task. White people have been way too comfortable for way too long in this country, in this world. Way too comfortable with the way they choose to see reality solely through their own gaze, way too comfortable with their sense of entitlement over the planet and its resources, way too comfortable with their appropriation of culture in ways large and small, way too comfortable with the stories they tell, the lies passed off as the history of mankind. Way too comfortable with the things they pick up, way too careless with the way they put them down. But Kendrick was willing to discomfort the comfortable.
lol

Why do white people like this album again?
>>
Because they want to look relevant and cool.

That's the only reason. There are tons of better records from this year but because it's "culturally significant" (IE popular and marketed) they say it's their AOTY.

It's like when people say Oscar-bait films are their favorite, it's just for approval from friends.

People who have TPAB as AOTY are as embarrassing as trendy teenage girls.
>>
holy shit
>>
>>61072464
Yeah, hating your own race is very relevant and cool in 2015 for white people.
>>
>>61072464
even old people that would normally just listen to dadrock are going on the bandwagon its so pathetic
>>
It's also Black as fuck. "Blackness" is a concept that remains fluid and intangible, but so solid that one can feel it when it’s present. And it was all over Butterfly.

what in the absolute fuck??? holy shit i hate pitchfork
>>
>>61072481
>>61072491
>>61072523
why are you samefagging?
>>
friendly reminder to vote for trump
>>
>way too comfortable with their appropriation of culture

This is not the view of any artist at all. Art is made through the appropriation of culture and that's the beauty of it.

Greeks had influence from the assyrians and romans were heavily influenced by greece.

Bossa Nova is a mix of black culture with western Jazz music.

There is no cultural appropriation. The more culture you put into a work, the richer it is. I love mentioning the soundtrack in Mulan too. It's Broadway music crowned with the chinese pentatonic scale.

jerking off your own culture and denying the influence of other is dumb
>>
/pol/ btfo. Feels good mayne.

Captcha: Pick-up trucks
Haha
>>
>>61072715

I don't get how you can be for multiculturalism but then claim cultural appropriation is bad.
>>
>>61072875
It's only appropriation when a white does it
>>
>>61072875
There's a difference between cultural appropriation and culture sharing. The latter doesn't bastardize the traditions of others and should definitely be encouraged.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVELaCbxiVM
this causes this
>>
>>61072915
Care to elaborate on what the difference is?
>>
>>61072956
white people borrowing from a culture = appropriation

anyone elses borrowing from a culture = sharing
>>
>>61072932
aswell as this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9iR_QdFh6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilcD1fHcGB0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BptQHAW2T5M

what's your point?
>>
>>61072450

the album isnt even about blackness, why arent there any paragraphs dedicated to the reappropriation of this records meaning by squirrely internet fagmotrons?
>>
>>61072967
White doing things = bad

Other races doing things = progress
>>
>>61072450
Did p4k seriously miss the fucking point of the album? It criticizes everybody, not just white people. God, it's like an sjw version of people misinterpreting itaots as being strictly about Anne Frank.
>>
>>61073191
P4k has officially become Rolling Stone tier. It's sad, I had been using P4k for years, but they have really lost all credibility. And to answer your question, yes, they really missed the point. You just have to realize that is has become a brainwashing tool.
>>
>>61073222
what's the new review site people will turn to

pitchfork is messing up over and over but I don't think they're losing fanbase.
>>
>>61073300

T M T
M
T
>>
>>61073339
TMT is garbage teenagers writing about how snowflake they are.
The Quietus is good.
>>
>>61073300
TMT is the closest, but they're too patrish for this shitty board
>>
who the fuck cares it was a good record
>>
>>61073407
>>61073410

ayyy
>>
>>61073410
TMT writers post on here you idiot
>>
>>61072523
How to be a music writer:
1. Be vague
2. Write whatever, it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not
>>
I'm tired of white people telling me why I have to be uncomfortable about my status in a country. I'm tired of white people telling me how I should feel about them, rather than let me make my own choices.

It's a decent album, but I think it lost it's meaning after every reviewer forced their cultural views on to it. Now it comes off as an oscar bait album, and that's not really fair to the point that Kendrick was trying to make. The main reason for songs like "i" is so we could celebrate ourselves, I think many of these reviewers have this wrong idea.

I liked it, but I didn't think it was the best album of the year. That review is horrible nonetheless.
>>
>>61073416

Who the fuck cares about what a faggot trip on /mu/ has to say.

Nobody, that's who.
>>
>>61073416
friendly reminder you live in a city where tap water contains arsenic
and you're like 15 years old
>>
File: 1450217258570.png (30 KB, 338x248) Image search: [Google]
1450217258570.png
30 KB, 338x248
DOES THE ALBUM EVEN GO THAT FAR INTO THE PERCEIVED "BLACKNESS VS WHITENESS" ARGUMENT?

DON'T GET ME WRONG, THIS IS A GOOD ALBUM (i'd rate it 7/10, there's a bundle of weak tracks) BUT I FEEL AS IF REVIEWERS ARE TRYING THEIR HARDEST TO PUSH THIS ALBUM AS SOME HUGE POLITICAL JUGGERNAUT IN THE MODERN RACIAL BATTLEFIELD OF AMERICA WHEN IT DOESN'T SEEM THAT ATTACKING TOWARDS WHITE PEOPLE AS OTHER PAST ALBUMS
>>
>>61073477
>tap water contains arsenic

Where?
>>
>>61073523
It's not, it's just perfectly timed by kendrick/label execs to start this bullshit. It's not all Kendrick's fault, but he knew it was going to happen and there's quite obvious pandering on the album.
>>
this was honestly one of the worst years for music in the last 60
>>
>>61072450
whitey BTFO
>>
>>61073550
People say this shit yearly. I thought it was the best of the 10s
>>
>>61073443
fuck you retard suck my dick
>>
>>61072489
>thinking TPAB is anti-white
>>
What's hilarious is that, buried in that unnecessarily long thinkpiece, is an acceptable blurb that explains why that album is as good as it is and why they gave it AOTY. But it's surrounded by a pretentious racially-driven diatribe.
>>
>>61073678
i refuse to give them traffic so please spoonfeed me this part of the article
>>
>sometimes white people need to take a metaphorical seat—to sit down, shut up

lol fuck off
>>
>>61072715
>There is no cultural appropriation

yes there is, I dont agree with the modern definition but it does exist.
>>
>>61073152
>>61072903
>>61072967
>muh white victimhood!
>>
Most boring choice ever. They should have pulled a left field maneuver and made Sun Kil Moon #1.
>>
>>61073709
my point being:

the mixing of cultures is intrinsic to any art form. Cultural appropriation as a post-modern boogeyman is a complete myth.

See? I can write good too
>>
Why do we have to divide people by their colour of their skin when it has nothing to do with who they are as a person?
>>
>>61072450
,yeah album of da decade
>>
>>61073824
because we are animals :(
>>
>>61072450
>It's an album by the greatest rapper of his generation, where his rap skills are perhaps the least noteworthy talking point.
That really says it all doesn't it?
>>
>>61073786
>mixitung cultures is intrinsic to any art form

this is true, I don't think any denies this beside the people that believe that cultural appropriation is copying any thing anything another group does, but there is a difference between two cultures simply mixing and one group appropriating the culture of another group.
>>
>>61073895
>>61073806
>>
>>61073191
this. all the major publications are celebrating the "blackness" and then say something like, except for the parts where he criticizes the black community, thats just incorrect. specifically the hypocriteline on Blacker The Berry, i think it was spin who straight up said it's wrong but he has internalized racism so we forgive you kendrick
>>
>>61072450
Dunno why you guys keep paying attention to that website desu. It is not about music and it never has been. And since about a couple of years ago they've been adding stupid nonsensical ideology so this is nothing new.
>>
It's worth noting that Kendrick and his lyrics on this album are far more egalitarian than 99% of the "thinkpieces" written on it. He literally says he doesn't give a shit about ethnicity at least once on the album. Honestly, if my work was being misinterpreted in this context, I'd be furious.
>>
>>61073806
>the mixing of cultures is intrinsic to any art form

just read what you were actually responding to. I dont think the writer is exclusively talking about art.
>>
>>61074015
tbf he does get mad about it, he sad he was angry with how everyone was jumping on the bandwagon about GKMC
>>
>>61073973
From Spin:
>Our hero even seems to get it wrong at times, like on “The Blacker the Berry” when he says, “Why did I weep when Trayvon Martin was in the street / When gang-banging make me kill a nigga blacker than me? Hypocrite!” But when he growls out that indictment, he gives voice to a legit concern: people both in and outside of his Compton who mistake symptom for cause. It’s a little different than proclaiming, “I’m a proud monkey!” on the same song, but surely related to the double-consciousness Lamar illustrates by trying to play both Good Capitalist (pimping his butterfly in a literal sense) and Hood Savior (when he returns “home” in the lengthy poem that functions as epigraph between songs). These are impossible, problematic roles that can’t help but validate the oppressor even as they seem like the only way to flout the oppression. It’s this tension that gives us the very real split personality that comes to define Butterfly.

lmao
>>
>>61073895
It isn't wrong that we associate twerking to Miley Cyrus, even though the dance move originated from black culture.

Nostalgia Chick (Lindsay Ellis) has a very fun and informative youtube series called Loose Canon where she analyzes different characters and the different ways they were interpreted through history but mostly films. Going through, Hades, Death, The Wicked Witch and Captain America. Note that the Wicked Witch went from white to black in the 80's.

No one is superior for being born in a particular culture and no one must be denied the right to rap, twerk, play golf or wear cloth on their heads.
>>
>read article
>has some points I agree and disagree with but ultimately a pretty decent music writeup on perhaps the most important record of the year
>go to /mu/
>find people totally dismissing it for one or two reasons e.g. they mentioned blackness or cultural appropriation

How do you guys even take yourselves seriously if you're unwilling to actually discuss the album in a way that goes beyond the meme responses?
>>
>>61074129
>problematic
why didn't this win Word of the year
>>
>>61074236
the album is okay. Not AOTY content for me, though. And the whole talk about "cultural appropriation" just makes my blood boil a little.

Darcy Ribeiro called it "cultural anthropophagy" and something that should be celebrated.
>>
>>61074129
>gets it wrong
>probably written by some white guy

I love how a white guy understands being black better than actual blacks.

I'm sorry sir, maybe I should just blame it all on the police/whites and not on the fact that most of us don't even respect each other.
>>
even my most liberal friends are exhausted at the politics injected into everything right now. with the election cycle starting SO early this time around, i have a feeling that people will be so fucking tired of this stuff by this time next year.
>>
File: Wiz-mabel-king-evillene.jpg (94 KB, 860x469) Image search: [Google]
Wiz-mabel-king-evillene.jpg
94 KB, 860x469
>>61074132
>Note that the Wicked Witch went from white to black in the 80's.

are you referring to this Wicked Witch? If so then no, the Wicked Witch did not go from white to black, this Wicked Witch is from 'The Wiz' and when people think of the Wicked Witch they think of the green skinned, hooked nosed witch played by Margaret Hamilton

>It isn't wrong that we associate twerking to Miley Cyrus, even though the dance move originated from black culture.

hmm, im not sure. It's not like Miley's twerking was praised or anything as you can see here in the comment section the reaction is pretty negative.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFLv9Ns1EuQ

It's wrong that black people do something it's bad but when white people copy it it's classy, trendy, and cool.
for example
https://twitter.com/marieclaire/status/451403750960562176

>No one is superior for being born in a particular culture and no one must be denied the right to rap, twerk, play golf or wear cloth on their heads.

Sure, but don't say X is bad when Group A does something but then when Group B copies Group A and does X then it's cool and Group B becomes the face of X. Most people don't have a problem with other groups taking part in their culture, just don't go into someone else culture and pretend you run the place.
>>
>>61072450
This is one of the most stupid things I've read in all of my life.
>>
ITT: Uneducated neets
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.