[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do analog headphone jacks still exist? Can you use HDMI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: hdmi-audio-extractor-1-BT.jpg (34 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
hdmi-audio-extractor-1-BT.jpg
34 KB, 460x460
Why do analog headphone jacks still exist?

Can you use HDMI digital audio to your headphones with some kind of converter?

Would it make a difference?
>>
>>61069993
Sure I guess. I don't see a reason why headphones can't do digital. They've been analog for years and years. Why change it?
>>
Your phone and other devices already come with "some sort of converter", dumbass.
>>
>>61070013
>Dirty fluctuating voltage based analog audio
vs
>Bit for bit perfect digital audio
>>
>>61070029
There's still going to be a digital-to-analog converter somewhere in the line. If you have "digital headphones" it just means there's a cheap DAC built in that you can never replace.

There is a reason the only digital headphones you see are shitty USB headsets.
>>
>>61070029
Bit for bit isn't perfect you know, sine waves aren't even really sine waves, just very detailed curves of square waves.
>>
>>61070013
>I don't see a reason headphones can't do digital.

Because that's impossible.
>>
>>61069993
Because a speaker driver doesn't understand digital signals.

>>61070029
You need to learn your basic Nyquist-Shannon m8.
>>
>>61071750
for fuck sake,My first time on this board (and yes I DO feel like declaring that) and some of you are already frustrating me so much.
A digital signal is NOT converted into stairsteps

Just watch this you utter moronic child
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIQ9IXSUzuM
>>
>>61071750
>square waves aren't even really square waves, just frequency modulated sine waves

Fixed your post for you.
>>
>>61071809
It was a bait. I suggest you go else
>>
>>61071890
Everything seems bait here
>>
>>61069993
Do you have any clue how audio transducers work? Do you have any idea how digital signals work?
>>
>>61071986
it's just a 1 or a 0
1 pushes the speaker and 0 pulls the speaker
this movement is converted into sound energy

now go and read a book before you come in here acting like an expert
>>
>>61072458
you wont bait me this easy
>>
Stairsteps instead of sines would be cool if their sampling frequency is above something like 32kHz (and pretty much anything can do that) because then even the first "wrong" harmonics generated by the steppyness would fall out of the human hearing range.
>>
>>61072618
Stairsteps aren’t cool hence they aren't used.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.