[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>he's a poptimist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 0
>he's a poptimist
>>
FACT: poptimists, moreso than hip hop fans, are the cucks of the music world
>>
>>61051737
No I'm not
>>
if you buy into the poptimist/rockist divide you are a useful idiot for major corporations that just want to lower your standards for both pop and rock hth
>>
If dubs i won't study for my statics final
>>
Those are the right amount of perky
>>
>>61051737
do you think they fucked
>>
>>61052871
better start studying, goy.
>>
>>61052582

this t b h family
>>
>>61051749
A hip hop poptimist is the worst of all. Not only do they try to play the subjectivity card, but they're overflowing with white guilt too.
>>
>>61052918
Stop bypassing the filters.
>>
>>61052943
Who the fuck are you
>>
if dubs /mu/ can only talk about Weezer for the next 2 days
>>
>>61052582
I thought is was poptimist/realist divide?
>>
>>61052955
HOW COOL IS THAT
>>
>>61052955
jeeeeeezus, why is weezer such a shitty band. no good records. only fags disagree
>>
>>61052582
No such dichotomy exists. You don't seem to understand either of the terms.
>>
>>61052990
What is the blue album
>>
>pitchfork publishes that 200 best songs of the 80s list last fall
>decide to listen to every song on it
>have a really good time, enjoy pop songs from all different genres of the era I wouldn't normally listen to (new wave, hip-hop, synthpop, deep house, disco, r&b/soul, dancehall)
>maybe poptimism isn't that bad
>turns out poptimism is only about the music currently playing on popular radio and not appreciating all forms of often ignored popular music
I don't know why I gave them the benefit of thinking it could be anything cool
>>
>>61052955
damn it
>>
>>61053003
your're right, because poptimism and rockism are lies made up to suppress actual discussion, and the only thing that can thrive in such an environment is mediocrity
>>
>>61053028
shit
>>
>>61053039
Poptimism is about being optimistic about music that is very popular (chart topping), I think; not music that is fairly popular or has a pop music structure.
>>
w8 am i a poptimist if i like just some pop?

theres good pop and bad pop as its wit every single genre and 1ce u realize it ur life will instantly get a lot better
>>
>>61053072
Hmm. They way people go on about rockists and "full albums only" meme I always thought they were opposites. Singles versus albums, "art" vs pop
>>
>>61053117
Bad no wave/Canterbury scene doesn't exist
>>
>>61053117
poptimism, contrary to what shitposting retards will have you believe, is the idea that pop music is worth analyzing and "giving a fair shake" to
it doesn't mean "all pop is good" it means "pop is a kind of music that has goals and talking about whether or not it fails to meet these goals is as valuable as any popular music discussion"
contrast with rockism (which again isn't "rock is good") which holds pop music as inherently lesser because of one or a variety of: a lack of perceived authenticity from the artist, a focus on the single format over the album format, eschewing use of "real" instruments, the use of writers and producers
>>
>>61053460
also
worth pointing out, it's not a dichotomy
poptimism was a reaction to rockism but it's not the only alternative
>>
>>61052943
S m h
T b h
F a m
C u c k
>>
>>61053320
sonic youth suck hatfield and the north suck

there r sum genres i havent heard anything bad from tho still im guessing the bad stuff is still sumwhere there as theres good music in genres i may still consider awful

>>61053542
im pretty much both anti rockist and poptimist so w/e i feel dats the healthiest attitude anyways thx 4 the write up ive pretty much knew wat those 2 r all along but ive never thought as poptimism as sumthing much beyond "pop is a genre just as any other and i dont think neglecting it just bcuz a lot off it is purposefully trashy and supposed 2b appealing 2 wider crowds is very smart" kinda thinking
>>
>>61051737
rockism is a legitimate truthful thing makes sense
anyone who supports poptimism needs to die
>>
>>61053460
sure, but only idiots didn't already know that pop music has its own goals and is worth giving a fair shake to

poptimism isn't about celebrating well-made pop music, it's about shutting up people who ask for more from their pop music. the end result of poptimism and rockism is critics unironically fawning over whatever is on the top of the charts even if it got there through zero-effort mediocrity while shilling bland corporate artmusic by appealing to people's egos with a deluge of identical thinkpieces that control the narrative without spurring discussion
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 0

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.