[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone here record to cassette? I've been thinking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
Does anyone here record to cassette?

I've been thinking of getting a used recorder. Not too sure which one, but I want my next recording to have a bit of lo-fi analog goodness and am tired of recording on my laptop. Although I have no idea if it will be worth it, and which model to get, and what to look out for. Any words of advice?
>>
I have that exact deck. Don't buy it, it's a piece of shit.
>>
>>61034021
Damn, whats wrong with it?

Do you own any others?
>>
>>61034113
It's very noisy, the preamps are shit, and it's missing a lot of features from the larger model.
>>
>>61033961
>cassette
you will have a bit of lo-fi, but it certainly won't sound good

get a reel to reel, if you want the goodness
but try a tape saturator vst first, see if it's what you're after... just keep in mind the bit of "analog mojo" won't do everything
>>
>>61034315
Does a reel to reel still record something onto cassette?
Sorry, I know very little about analog recording.
>>
>>61034021
If I want to make intentionally disorienting lo-fi pop, would this be a good choice, then?
>>
>>61034352
Reel to reel is a different format than cassette. The tape is larger, runs at a higher speed, and is higher quality.
>>61034366
Maybe
>>
>>61034352
nah, they record it onto tape. a cassette is just a smaller tape contained in a small box.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reel-to-reel_audio_tape_recording
reel to reel are widely used in recording and mastering studio
>>
I just got the 4track in OPs pic on ebay, its cool, wish I had the bigger version with EQ though cuz things are bit bass-heavy. Tape sounds good though. Be sure to use put mics through a preamp before the 4track
>>
>>61034594
Do you have anything recorded to share? I'm interested in picking one up since its a cheap investment, but am a bit weary.
Also what preamp do you have set up for it?
>>
>>61034627
No I haven't digitized anything yet. It sounds like you would expect tape to sound... my favorite feature is how the pitch subtly modulates. IMO its worth it if you like recording and are tired of digital.

Currently I just use the preamps in my M-audio fastrack straight through the line-out into the 4track. Having a legit mic preamp would be cool though
>>
>>61034731
Cool, I'll look into one then.
Just out of curiosity, have you tried recording drums with it?
>>
>>61035123
No, I haven't, probably sounds cool though
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.