[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any good djent at all? I just listened to pic related,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (337 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.png
337 KB, 500x500
Is there any good djent at all?
I just listened to pic related, and found that while it certainly didn't have much variation and/or experimentation, it was pretty interesting and just fun. I did quite enjoy listening to the polyrhythmic start and stops, despite it constantly being the same throughout.
What's your opinion on the genre? Is it complete shit? Good? Why? What would you recommend?
>inb4 djentspammer
>>
"djent" is swedish for "nu metal"
>>
>>61029653
Nothing and Obzen are worth checking out too imo.

AAL is the only other djent I can tolerate.
>>
Basicly Meshuggah is the only band that does a decent job at it. It's a meme genre.
>>
>>61029694
What AAL albums would you rec?
>>61029695
From what I'm seeing around here it seems like Meshuggah are the only band in the genre that's tolerated by a majority.
>>
^ this

That said, I was pretty big into this when it all happened so I know my shit. Uneven structures have a good album called februus which has great atmosphere throughout, I wouldn't listen to singles on youtube, just get the album and digest it as one (don't bother with disk two it's ambient, but not really great ambient, there is way better ambient out there). If you want something waaaay poppier, try vola. They have one EP and an LP, both very similar. Imagine them as a colaberation between Keane and Periphery (that said, stay away from periphery, I don't rate them at all). You can't really go wrong with anything meshuggah, but highlights are 'Destroy, erase, improve', I, Koloss, nothing and obzen. Vildhjarta are okay, but not essential listening, pretty heavy on atmosphere, their mastadens album is their only good work. If you want more solo guitar stuff check out David maxim micic, plini and sithu aye.
>>
>>61029653
>le all meshuggah songs are the same-meme

Why do people think this? It is very unfortunate. Pic related is 10/10 btw
>>
>>61029746
Not a big fan of AaL, but their self titled album is pretty cool. Everything else is tosh. Their second guitarist did a solo album with some cool latin elements, but he has done another one since then which dropped the latin stuff so is just more tosh.
>>
>>61029746
>AAL recs
s/t > Weightless > Joy of Motion
>>
>>61029880
by which I mean s/t is best and they started adding more shitty breakdowns to appease the crowd later on
>>
>>61029880
You mean Joy of Motion > s/t > Weightless, right
>>
>>61029817
Sounds like an interesting record, I'll check it out.
I'll also check out the rest of Meshuggah's discog, they seem like a relatively interesting band.
>>61029822
One thing I was realy surprised with on the album was that there were actually discernable riffs and melodies, which is the opposite of the description that I normally hear (endless chugga chug)
>>61029854
>>61029880
Ok, so I'll check out their s/t.
>>
Listen to bleed by meshuggah, that is as good as it gets. After you listen to that song, stop looking, you won't find anything that's any better. And it's not even that great.
>>
The first 2 periphery albums
>>
>>61029919
This is the correct order.
>>61029817
Periphery are really good from a technical standpoint, but their singer and production ruin it. Also, I would say that Thall is the most successful variation on Djent (Uneven Structure, Vildjarta, Modern Day Babylon, etc.)
>>61029653
Stay away from stuff like Volumes, Erra, newer Veil of Maya/BoO, etc. unless you already like melodic metalcore similar to August Burns Red, Attack Attack, Sleeping with Sirens, etc.
Basically the best stuff has already been mentioned here, but some my favorite albums are Februus - Uneven Structure, Masstaden - Vildjarta, Nothing, Catch 33, I - Meshuggah, the Discovery - BoO, the Common Man's Collapse - Veil of Maya, Periphery - s/t, Joy of Motion - AaL, and Tesseract - One.
>>
Don't listen to anybody that suggests stuff like Skyharbor because its awful

stay with meshuggah and you will be happy
>>
djent is like nu metal but even worse tbf
>>
>>61031127
I don't actually mind the singer for periphery though once you notice how much he slides up to notes you will never un-hear it. I just find the band really repetitive.
>>
>>61031284
I don't mind Spencer's vocals themselves, he's extremely talented. I just don't like the way he applies them, his lyrics, or the way they're mixed.
>>
>>61031157
Skyharbor and Tesseract are pretty good
>>
File: a3305708557_10.jpg (377 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
a3305708557_10.jpg
377 KB, 1000x1000
>>61029653
First 2 Cloudkicker albums

They are very much post-rock influenced
>>
>>61029959
>muh bleed so hardcore
it's one of their least interesting songs
bet you can't get through an entire album without getting distracted
>>
>>61032346
Actually used to listen to obZen and learned how to play electric red on the drums. Grew out of it fast.
>>
File: leprous-coal-c78659.jpg (822 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
leprous-coal-c78659.jpg
822 KB, 1500x1500
>>61029653
Djent is shite, listen to actually good modern prog metal like this, Vektor, Ne Obliviscaris , Enslaved, Caligula's Horse or The Ocean
>>
>>61031757
filtered
>>
>>61032482
>thinks he can filter anon
>>
>>61032500
oh i just do though :)
>>
>>61032446
I was about to post this album. It's not my thing but I can see the appeal.

>Implying there aren't tracks on it that are effectively djent
>>
>>61032543
Leprous are able to use djent elements tastefully without going into full chugcore
>>
>>61029653

That album is written as one very long song, you should check out some other Meshuggah albums if you haven't already for a bit more variety. Nothing and Koloss are personal favorites, Koloss in particular has a lot of stylistic variety but that's coming from someone that has listened to a lot of djent so maybe it will still sound pretty samey if your ears can't get past the riffing style as the sole prominent detail. I'd also really recommend Rejectionary Art, they spice up some particularly technical djent with a healthy dose of fusion and a very strong clean vocalist. Their Butterfly album is a top contender for my favorite in the genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOfK_mQG9XY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnJN_hBar-U
>>
>>61029822

Well to be fair, all of Catch Thirtythree IS the same in the sense that it's all one flowing work. That's a deliberate feature and not a misconception of an untrained ear.
>>
File: 345345345345.jpg (6 KB, 140x140) Image search: [Google]
345345345345.jpg
6 KB, 140x140
thoughts on new intervals?
>>
Djent is a meme
>>
>>61033933
you're a meme
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.