[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't get Kid A and Amnesiac
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: Radiohead.kida.albumart.jpg (74 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Radiohead.kida.albumart.jpg
74 KB, 300x300
I don't get Kid A and Amnesiac
>>
There's nothing to get honestly
>>
it's not that you don't get them, it's that you expected them to be great when they are actually really boring.
>>
>>61027495
If you'd been a dog, they would've drowned you at birth.
>>
>>61027530
I mean, the bends and OKC were both great in different ways, but these two are really boring to me
>>
same with me, especially with amnesiac.

Kid A's production is fun to listen to. I only like National Anthem tho, cool song.

I think OK Computer is their last good work.
>>
>>61027495
Then you don't get me, anon; you don't get me.
>>
I just don't get Radiohead in general. I can't see why they're so critically acclaimed.
Am I missing cultural context, like did they release these albums when there was nothing like this? What about their discography makes them to be considered god-tier?
I've listened to OK Computer, Kid A and Amnesiac and they're okay albums, but they're nothing amazing to me.
Could someone explain their appeal?
>>
>>61027601
could be different tastes, nothing much.

radiohead is meme too
>>
>>61027495
You need more feels.
>>
>>61027524
>>61027530
this
>>
>>61027601
There's a lot of cultural context to what Radiohead was doing; while it was hardly anything incredibly "new" even at the time of release, OK Computer and Kid A + Amnesiac were really the first time a mainstream audience had been introduced to the kinds of sounds Radiohead was making. It also had a lot to do with promotion; iirc kid A was one of the first albums that people were allowed to stream over the internet for free.

I'll freely admit I wasn't old enough at the time these albums came out to remember or care about their impact at time of release, and I'll also admit I found them boring on first listen. If I'm being completely honest I'm still not a huge fan of OK Computer with the exception of a couple songs, but for me the key to really liking the albums isn't to view them as some avant-garde extreme but to just let yourself listen to them. Kid A is, in my opinion, a fantastic album, and I frequently listen to it when I'm tired because it's simply very relaxing and well-made. It's hardly the cream of the experimental crop, if you will, but it's a great experimental electronic/idm-influenced album.

At the end of the day though the albums are what you make of them. Their cultural context at time of release is ultimately what lead to them being so lauded as they are today but if you don't like them you shouldn't force yourself to listen to or try and "get" them as there isn't much to get other than if you don't like it, why force yourself to listen?
>>
>>61027601
i got into radiohead in 2003 or 2004 and i remember then there was a general cobsensus that ok comp was a masterpiece and same with kid a. especially ok was hailed for its innovativity and was 1sr in top all albums lists. i remember ths vividly. i liked the album then but now i see it as meh. maybe so much like it has been done after and i got into more experimental music. but for a while it was hailed as the best in rock canon
>>
>>61027601
>>61027545
>>61027530
>>61027626
These exactly.
>>
>>61027530
this is probably the most accurate description of Radiohead I've ever read
>>
>>61027601
I get how people always say they're kind of "obsolete" now after 10 years of making le weird indie music, but I seriously listened to a lot of experimental music when I started to listen to Kid A and Amnesiac and they really blew my mind, and this was only a couple of years ago. So I feel like their music's worth is more than just context.
>>
I know they're not really too special but they're both two of the first albums I ever called my favourite albums of all time.They may be a bit plebby on /mu/ but they are both classic gems that are very appreciated by me and many others.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.