[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Hip-Hop the genre most devoid of creativity?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5
File: Kendrick Duckworth.jpg (34 KB, 620x460) Image search: [Google]
Kendrick Duckworth.jpg
34 KB, 620x460
Is Hip-Hop the genre most devoid of creativity?
>>
Probably 50s rock and roll.
>>
>>61012823
I mean it sounds like it now, but it was pretty creative and revolutionary at the time.

Kinda a "Seinfeld isn't funny" situation

>>61012767
gr8 b8
>>
>>61012823
you're thinking of post-grunge
>>
Popular music is, then traditional, and art music last
>>
>>61012767
not at all
proof: listen to this, and tell me you're able to tell it's a ripoff of a ripoff by yourself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUPBYBhcGHA
>>
>>61012823
Link Wray- Rumble
>>
>>61012853
>Kinda a "Seinfeld isn't funny" situation

If every Seinfeld episode sounded exactly the fucking same.
>>
Modern country is, and it's not even close.
>>
>>61012921
I am able to. It sounds remarkably similar to Rapper's Delight by The Sugar Hill Gang.
>>
>>61012767
Hip-Hop might be the most creative genre. It's not easy to write rap lyrics and it's not easy to make a good beat, so when someone like Kendrick Lamar comes along and does his own thing so hard he basically creates a new sub-genre, I get a big, stiff, hip-hop inspired boner for one of the most versatile, interesting and ever changing genres on the planet that still hasn't gotten pretentious on us.
>>
>>61012853
>Kinda a "Seinfeld isn't funny" situation
Who doesn't find Seinfeld funny though
>>
>>61012767
>>>/coontown/
>>
>>61012928
Rule 1 of music: If someone says, "All ____ songs sound the same, you can immediately disregard their opinion because it's obvious they have no idea what the fuck they're talking about.
>>
>>61012989
Lots of people, because its jokes and general sense of humor have been done over and over since
>>
>>61012965
wow, you must be a rap expert of some kind
>>
>>61012767

nah man, listen to this track and tell me that you would have thought to have used a record in this way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQc4A-XBzBY

and how the samples are put together on this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWTrAVLhbS8

its like the most creative and adventurous form of popular music
>>
>>61013012
Still a damn good show.
>>
>>61013012
>done over and over since

Not to mention before.
>>
>>61012976
>It's not easy to write rap lyrics and it's not easy to make a good beat

Take an introduction to poetry class at a community college and you'd be able to write lyrics more complex than 90% of rappers. Get garageband for free on your Ipad and you can make repetitive beats at the same level as most rappers.
>>
>>61012767
hip hop is probably the genre with the most new sounds coming out of it to be h
>>
>>61012767
Nah, the genre most devoid of creativity is Vaporwave
>>
>>61012957
>>61012957
>>61012957
>>61012957
>>61012957

This by far.
>>
>>61013009
actually true
>>
>>61013154
>implying
https://xpelleir.bandcamp.com/releases
>>
>>61013104

>Take an introduction to poetry class at a community college and you'd be able to write lyrics more complex than 90% of rappers

not necessarily true, and besides if you don't have anything interesting to say it doesn't matter anyway

>Get garageband for free on your Ipad and you can make repetitive beats at the same level as most rappers.

with an attitude like that they'd almost always be mediocre, its way more difficult than that to find a good loop that helps embellish the verses yet doesn't distract from them while still being interesting on their own

>>61013275

no one wants to listen to your shit

even if it is actually creative no one here care cause you just viraled it
>>
>>61012767

Pop, not even a contest.
>>
>>61012957

Rap and country are the same

Rap

>Muh cars
>Muh patron
>Muh bitches
>Mah nigga

Country

>Muh truck
>Muh whiskey
>Muh lady
>Muh brotha
>>
>>61013104
You say that, but it's just not true. To write consistently good rap lyrics is a challenge which is why insane lyricists like Nas and Kendrick are so acclaimed. It's not easy to be as effortlessly cool as Snoop Dogg, or as pissed off as DMX, as catchy as Czarface, and as fresh and clean as Outkast.
I've made beats on Garageband. They're not as good as Dre's.
>>
>>61013387

there's music in those genre too you know, music that isn't very similar at all
>>
>>61013387
Rap

>Sold drugs for 3 years
>Now I'm rich as fuck out of nowhere
>Want to know what it feels like to achieve your dreams? Let me tell you.
>Variety of instruments, sounds and samples

Country

>Like to fish
>Boring white dudes with ten gallon hats
>Most complex feeling is whether or not you like your truck or your dog better
>An acoustic guitar and a shitty voice
>>
>>61013292
This anon is obviously gonna try to impose his mixtape on us.
>>
>>61013739

your in luck, its not done yet
>>
>>61013387

>Rap and country are the same

He means sonically they are completely different. Rap is going through a lot of experimentation right now and it's really influencing the general culture. Country is doing what is has done for years with zero change.

The same point you were making there about thematic similarities could also be said of old Blues music. These are general themes and kinds of pathos that are traditionally explored by the lower class. If you were listening to Big Bang or Ragtime music from the 1930s you'd be hearing those very same themes explored in a different guise.
>>
File: WIvHWS6.jpg (155 KB, 1282x721) Image search: [Google]
WIvHWS6.jpg
155 KB, 1282x721
>>61013549
>you
>>
>>61013549
cool. do i get to play the generalization game as well?
>>
>>61013755
Hope you die before it's finished, then.
>>
Any sub set of electronic music is boring as fuck to mix/master. Unless you're a badass who creates everything you use. Then you're on the level.
>>
The foundations of hip hop stem from people spilling their stories with documentary like realism. Creativity, to me, distorts or invents a reality. Social realism, which is what most of hip hop is, is where creativity goes to die. In the 21st though, there's been a shift towards aesthetically communicative artists, and for the better I think.

I don't mean to say you can't be lyrically creative either. People like Big L and DOOM show you obviously can. And I don't mean to disparage boom bap realism stuff. But the question is on creativity.
>>
Why does everyone on this board try and bait so hard? It's not funny.
>>
>>61013842

k
>>
>>61013292
Not even mine
>>
>>61013944

huh?
>>
ITT: Cvckoldry
>>
100% yes
>>
>ethnic wars is not relevant subject matter anymore
especially for the growing generation, it's only a matter of time before idm is everything, hopefully mixed with instrumentals
>>
>>61012767
this is so dumb
>>
BLACK MUSIC, MORE LIKE WHACK MUSIC. DUMB MONKEYS RHYME ABOUT DRUGS AND SEX AND MONEY. LMAOOOOO. PINK FLOYD AND METALLICA ARE SO MUCH BETTER THANK GOD I HAVE A CONTRIVED, UNINFORMED IDEA OF WHAT GOOD TASTE IN MUSIC IS. FUCK MY SHITTY LIFE, MAN :)))
>>
>>61014657
/thread
>>
>>61013104
rap and poetry are not interchangeable. That's like saying "take theater and you can make a better movie than everything from hollywood. rap is "poetry,' but it's built off a long history and context you can't understand by just reading poetry
>>
>>61013861
Even boom bap realism as you put it can be creative, see GZA.
>>
genres build upon themselves and their culture and what this genre builds upon is absent of creativity or innovation
hip hop is too instintual to progress to any point beyond one that takes some kind of context to appreciate (ex Pitchfork)
>>
>>61012767
Most creative genre atm, along with UK dance music
>>
>>61013009
100%, if someone listens to a genre they've never heard before all songs are going to sound the same, it can be applied to pretty much any album, worst criticism going
>>
>>61013790
lol who is this?
>>
>>61015381
I've honestly never heard a good modern poem, theres never any self awareness, lots of trying to sound deep and old timey and twee, where as rap much much less. Obviously theres like J Cole and shit who are awful, but theres plenty of amazing stuff
>>
>>61014246
>le cluck maymay xDDDDDDDDD

>>>/pol/
>>
File: wot.png (346 KB, 786x438) Image search: [Google]
wot.png
346 KB, 786x438
>>61012767
>asks if rap is devoid of creativity
>posts image of kendrick lamar
>>
File: 1443384973506.jpg (15 KB, 201x226) Image search: [Google]
1443384973506.jpg
15 KB, 201x226
>>61016205
sam fucking hyde
>>
>>61013861
young thug is really creative
he said he was scared to go in the pussy, like woods
>>
>>61016800
Im gonna hit up google real quick
>>
>>61016910
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdNAhlqnxA0
hes pretty based lmao
>>
>>61017149
Watching his brooklyn street fashion thing and it just seems like he's very angry at the cool hip kids? like I dont see how the jokes on them, this is a really lame looking, super "edgy" loser, whos job is running a youtube channel? Is he just jealous? Is it satire? Im not sure
>>
>>61016800
>>61017149
Love Sam Hyde, only recently discovered his shit but he's hilarious
>>
>>61017243
He's a comedian ya cunt
>>
if you think about it, hip hop is not even a genre, its the art of borrowing and artifice through vocal wizardry lol times runnin out dumbledugs
>>
>>61013387
man this guys dumb or has a very narrow pallet.
>>
File: 1449426940882.gif (2 MB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1449426940882.gif
2 MB, 250x250
What the fuck happened to this place
>>
>>61013104
Pick up a guitar for a year and you'll play better than 90% of rock stars. Get fruityloops and in a month you'll make better electronica than

>After all the ability to portray emotion in a meaningful way doesn't matter.
>>
>>61019425
studies have shown that most hip hop lyrics today will decrease your intelligence just by hearing them
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.