[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: albums that do not live up to the hype
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7
File: ebin.jpg (883 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
ebin.jpg
883 KB, 1400x1400
>>
if you don't like your steaks rare you don't know SHIT about music
>>
Brace yourselves /r/music users are coming to defend it as we speak
>>
Hey at least this is getting kids into jazz again. That's good, right?
>>
>>60995351
isn't that bitches brew's job?
>>
>>60995351
oh god not this again
>>
>>60995351
It isn't though.
None of the listeners went on to hear other modern albums.
>>
>>60995351
its not a terrible album but I hear people saying it's amazing and that is not the case.
it's impressive, yes, but not amazing.
not anything higher than a 7.5/10 at the very most
>>
>>60995416
On the flip side I hear a lot of people hating on it and calling it terrible which is also not the case.

Interestingly a lot of dedicated jazz publications have rated the album highly.
>>
What are some jazz AOTY contenders?
>>
>>60995561
>Interestingly a lot of dedicated jazz publications have rated the album highly.
well I mean Classics.fm pretends like Eric Whitacre is quality
it's just marketing money and shit
>>
>>60996682
Vijay Iyer Trio - Break Stuff
Rudresh - Bird Calls
John Potter - Imaginary Cities
>>
>>60996841

Thanks, I'll check them out. I've always liked jazz as a casual listener, but I've never really explored the genre.
>>
>>60996841
>John Potter
>>
>>60995305
disagree personally

for me it hasnt lived up to the backlash. I've just recently been digging my teeth into it properly and I've been really surprised how captivating it is.
>>
>>60996682
marcus miller - afrodeezia

grammy incoming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOrfX9H8Jtc
>>
jenny death
>>
>>60996973
How much Jazz do you listen to?
>>
>>60997339
not a lot. I'm certainly open to hearing a better 2015 instrumental album? I'd put this in contention for aoty but it was recorded over the course of 5 years so I'm not really interested in this as a document of 2014-15
>>
>>60995305
How many songs have lead vocals? I remember Cherokee but that's it.
>>
>>60997414
>>60996841
>>
>>60997492
How is Break Stuff better? Any particular songs you'd like to compare? I listened to the first few songs off Break Stuff last week and found it very suspicious that anyone would say it's better.
>>
>>60997540
It's
1) more modern/original
2) has better soloists
3) isn't a pretentious 3 hour album
>>
>>60997560
challenge accepted
>>
>>60997560
>isn't a pretentious 3 hour album
This is a dumb reason. If it can stay consistently good, the length of anything doesn't matter.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-12-23-17-18.png (595 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-12-23-17-18.png
595 KB, 1080x1920
>>60996841
Am I looking at the right John potty
>>
like how can someone not listen to Break Stuff and just immediately discern the greater artistry in the compositions and solo playing

The Epic opens with a fucking cheesy ass cliche jazz mantra

Break Stuff opens with a moody, measured modal piece
>>
>>60997634
>not knowing John Potter is on ECM
>not knowing that ECM isn't available for streaming
18 I'm guessing?
>>
File: 8b1f0d01[1].jpg (56 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
8b1f0d01[1].jpg
56 KB, 600x600
most later John Coltrane, pic related

>inb4 people who haven't listened to very much modern jazz tell me otherwise
>>
>>60997669
Hi I'm new ^.^
>>
literally how can someone assume The Epic is better than Break Stuff you'd have to be some faggot that thinks that loud = good or some shit
>>
>>60997649
for starters Change of Guard seems far more dynamic than Starlings and this first solo is fuckign sick. What's your problem with it? Was there even a solo on Starlings? In general that was a very unmemorable song and seemed to stagnate on just two underlying notes.
>>
>>60997737
>and this first solo is fucking sick
WHAT
that pianist is fucking garbage
they're just sputtering out 16ths and shit with no actual skill for melody or creativity.
then Kamasi later just picks a few motives and loops them ad infinitum

I bet you think this is boring music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nok-ajFni2I
>>
and now Change of Guard is bustin out the funk? And we're still just at the time limit of Starlings so this song has already efficiently packed way more in than Starlings.
>>
Diptych is a better track than anything off The Epic for sure.
>>
>>60997780
WOAH
ANOTHER ANTIQUE GENRE
THANKS KAMASI FOR MAKING JAZZ MODERN AGAIN
BEST JAZZ MUSICIAN SINCE WYNTON MARSALIS AMIRITE?!?!?!?!
>>
>>60997766
stick with the subject

starlings and I suppose the next song compared to Change of the Guard

or pick some other songs off these albums if you feel like

as for 16ths so the fuck what? Is that your criteria? no 16ths? wtf
>>
>>60997807
>as for 16ths so the fuck what?
m8 do you not understand the point?!
there's nothing creative in playing scale shit
he's not trying to craft any new melody or piece he's just wanking
he's literally filling the stereotype of shitty jazz people talk about

there are ways of doing 16th runs well, listen to more jazz outside of your P4kcore you fucking braindead idiot
>>
>>60997840
>listen to more jazz outside of your P4kcore you fucking braindead idiot
I am. Break Stuff and The Epic is mopping the floor with this amateur shit so far.
>>
>>60997868
Explain how The Epic is mopping the floor.
Here's how you do a solo with runs: https://youtu.be/nZao34vDp3Y?t=143

not the wankery by that AMATEUR pianist

explain what makes VIJAY amateur and Kamasi NOT amateur
>>
>>60997868
Not him but I'll take the bait for him. Nice bait.
>>
>>60997868
Jesus christ every comment you make just makes me cringe harder
>>
File: 1432079326324.jpg (33 KB, 486x521) Image search: [Google]
1432079326324.jpg
33 KB, 486x521
>>60997737
>this first solo is fuckign sick

This is what Brainfeeder dick riders really believe
>>
>>60997896
again stick with the fucking subject: Break Stuff vs Epic

the dynamics of Change of Guard is absolutely blowing Starlings out of the water which as I recall Starlings just floundered between two underlying notes but I'll start it again right now. Change of the Guard is fucking awesome though right to the end with yet another dynamic ethereal style change.
>>
Intronaut made the best jazz album this year.

https://youtu.be/Ujb4E7oEZq0?t=176
>>
>>60997944
I have no idea what that even means
>>
>>60997956
Literally the only thing you said is dynamics.
And no, Change of the Guard has nothing interesting going with dynamics. It's loud and "EBIN" all the way through.
Whereas Vijay's pieces go for moody builds and often multiple moods, Kamasi goes for one stolen style after another.

now

explain again how Vijay is AMATEUR and Kamsi isn't.
>>
>>60997974
thats good to know because I blind bought it but turned it off after ten seconds in disgust. Some guy used to be in the band whose not anymore so thats why i blind bought it.
>>
>>60997956
>Starlings just floundered between two underlying notes

What the fuck lol
>>
>>60998013
right like I can't tell if this guy's hella stupid or b8ing
>>
>>60997998
oh ok well I'll be counting the moods because if thats your criteria then I think you need to hear Change of the Guard again.

well simplicity for one. I'm waiting for this solo. oh wait shit the songs almost over. Holy crap Starlings is literally fuckign nothing.
>>
>>60998003

It's got some harsh bits in it that aren't for everyone, especially if you don't like metal. The instrumentals are pretty good IMO, like the link posted.
>>
File: Skrillex-Aphex-Twin-Facebook.jpg (89 KB, 532x635) Image search: [Google]
Skrillex-Aphex-Twin-Facebook.jpg
89 KB, 532x635
>>60998034
Those comments are you
>>
>>60998034
>All jazz needs EBIN solos with huge shitty runs and sax players who can barely play the high register
you don't know shit
>>
boy break stuff needs all the help it can get and it sure as hell isnt coming from starlings what an utter fuckign joke. ok chorale you're up.
>>
>>60998054
cry more bitch

Starlings is literally fucking nothing compared to Change of the Guard
>>
>>60998104
Change of the Guard isn't even good.
the soloists are shit, the composition as a whole is cliche.
>>
>>60998076
hey the solos were brought up earlier by someone else all I'm doing is replying

Chorale is suck fucking shit this is hilarious. Absolutely zero rhythm and now he just hammers one fucking note? I'm dying here.

oh uh oh here comes the swing look out. more one note hammering oh boy. here we go look out now he's gettin crazy.
>>
>all the bait in this thread
>>
>>60998147
>he doesn't understand the concept of a pedal
all right, this is b8.
have a good night
>>
>>60998147
>one note

Do you actually listen to music or do you just put it on and walk into another room
>>
>>60998161
>good night
yeah indeed if you think this is better than Change of the Guard

there was a nice sweeping feel in the middle of Chorale thats contrasted nicely with the subsequent song changes but thats about it. And now its over. Too little too late. God this beginning is so cringey. plink plunk plink plunk
>>
>>60998190
do you? at minimum there's two points in the song he just hammers one fucking note.
>>
speaking of "loud" covering up a seeming lack of quality

might wanna listen again to Chorale
>>
and literally worst bass line of the year goes to?

yeah one note hammering this time from the bass is a welcome change after that 2.5 minutes

yes I'm on Diptych

ah now here's more of that one note fixation I was missing from the piano
>>
oh my god why
>>
>>60995305
pretentious as fuck
awfully corny lyrics (inb4 w-whitebois dont understand)
>>
Askim isn't really all that great especially in context which makes it seem a little repetitive but its ok. Now this ending is a better use of one note hammering although still not without its faults. I dunno did this song just redeem itself. Holy fuck now this is an ending.
>>
stopping Hood at 2 minutes

here's to hoping for a better 2016 because I'm truly sickened by anyone that says this is better than epic

fuck you people seriously
>>
>>60999156
Go look at the wikipedia page for Vijay Iyer. See how renowned he is. He's a big fucking deal. Everyone thinks he's ridiculous. YOU are the one missing something. Quit acting like you have any grounds to criticize things you don't understand.
>>
>>60999189
its one fucking note

yeah nice criticism yourself.

>go look at wikipedia
seriously please leave the board if thats what you have to offer. seriously fucking leave
>>
>>60999217
That's all I'm offering because looking above, it's clearly a lost cause to try to argue with you. You're trying to say you know better than the entire jazz community, and I'm trying to help you pull your head out of your self-absorbed ass.
>>
>>60999261
the entire jazz community says this is better than the epic? yeah I'll brace myself for shock.

because yet again thats the discussion. the epic vs. break stuff, not just the inherent merits of either album by themselves.
>>
Isabelle kinda sucked but maybe there's some subtlety I missed.
>>
and literally worst song of the year?

Hood
Ca sĩ: Vijay Iyer Trio
Từ khóa HOT: Jazz
Album: Break Stuff

I am not kidding. Very strong worst song of the year contention right here. Unless your criteria is literally one fucking note then yeah it might be the best but its still probably the worst in the category as well. Seriously find me worse songs people.
>>
>>60997634
He means Chris Potter.
>>
>>60995339
>eating meat
c'mon champ
>>
>>60996841
>John Potter - Imaginary Cities
lmao are you just writing down what you remember from some faggots blog?

>>60999646
while i dont remeber that song in particular, Break Stuff definitely gets most overrated release 2015

>>60999156
break stuff is pretty bad, but there are a lot of 2015 releases better done than the Epic
>>
>>60999745
>while i dont remeber that song in particular
I envy you.

I'm listening to it again. Might go all night long and just let the chips fall where they may.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.