[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /mu/ think of Pearl Jam?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 20
File: Eddie Vedder.jpg (59 KB, 628x366) Image search: [Google]
Eddie Vedder.jpg
59 KB, 628x366
What does /mu/ think of Pearl Jam?
>>
dad rock
>>
>>60987913
dude has one of the most average voices on the planet, the band isn't that good musically and chris cornell trumps him in every regard
>>
>>60987913
Jeremy is a good song.
>>
>>60987913
I like the song that goes AYYYYYYYYYYEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>60988089
Even Flow is better. I love that song because it's really...atmospheric. They just so perfectly capture the feel of a homeless dude sitting on a sidewalk in the ghetto and there's a light snow falling.
>>
>>60987923
Disagree, dadrock has melody.

Pearl Jam are a boring, woeful band. I can't even hum one of their songs.
>>
Pearl Jam, as I see it, is a love/hate thing with people. I used to love them, but now only some stuff has stuck with me. They're first 4 albums are pretty solid, after that it's spotty. They're sellouts who refuse to be sellouts and have turned into really gay "Rock Legends".

Also, does anybody crack up every time Eddie claims Pearl Jam is punk rock?
>>
>>60988162
>he can't hum Daughter
I don't believe you.
>>
>>60988169
>Also, does anybody crack up every time Eddie claims Pearl Jam is punk rock?
Is he trying to be Kurt?
>>
If only Eddie didn't feel the need to tell the audience at every single show that he's not a Republican and people who believe in God are stupid.
>>
>>60988169
They've entered into punk rock territory a couple times. Strangely enough, they actually sound pretty good in some of their more punkish songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFBxUIzsrTg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfrJCbol7ZU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXtAm7QbwMc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URDNO-SovD4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-ZTeYa0zKc
>>
>>60988343
none of those are punk you fucking moron.
>>
I never enjoyed them and I grew up listening to all the alternative stuff when it was big in the 90s. They just always sounded so mediocre and forced, as in the songs always seemed forced to me... lacking raw emotion etc. I owned a couple of their cds growing up but everyone did back then.
>>
One of my most hated bands
>>
>>60988354
No, but they've obviously got a little bit of punk influence. That's all I was really trying to prove.
>>
Good band, Alice In Chains is better from that era.
>>
>>60988360
"It's only inevitable that the alternative movement would start attracting bandwagoners. I don't know about Soundgarden; we've hung out with them and they seem like great guys, but then you have other bands like Alice In Chains and Pearl Jam that are obvious corporate puppets."

-- Kurt Cobain
>>
i love that one that goes wooo oooo ooo oooo ooooo sweet child of mine
>>
>>60988257
I always thought of him as spiritual person. Weird.
>>
>>60988360
I mean, yeah. Layne and Kurt both sounded a lot more like they meant it than Eddie ever did.
>>
>>60988343
D-Did you think that I've never heard these? I even said something about how their first 4 albums are solid. These aren't punk you buttplug, its just hard rock.

I'll level with you and say that these songs are some of their better ones though.
>>
>>60988411
I'm kinda doubting the legitimacy of that quote, but there's no doubt that Nirvana was a much bigger corporate puppet that Pearl Jam or AiC ever were.
>>
>>60988450
nah he's a raging fedora idiot
>>
>>60988485
Well, Cobain thought they were fakers because the precursor of PJ was a hair metal group Mother Love Bone and he assumed they just bandwagoned alternative rock when they saw that it was the next big thing. Also the fact that they never had a past as an underground indie label act.
>>
>>60988485
Yeah in the way they were used, but they were also one of the most genuine bands to enter the mainstream. They just happened to be signed by DGC.
>>
>>60988507
Pearl Jam mostly sounded like classic/stadium rock with a grunge coating over it. Like a bunch of 40 year old dadrockers from the 70s said one day "Hey, y'know the kids are really into this alternative thing now. Let's do that."
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-12-16-36-33.png (285 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-12-16-36-33.png
285 KB, 720x1280
>>60988485
It's not word for word. Here's the real quote.
>>
File: Axl+Rose++PNG.png (699 KB, 468x599) Image search: [Google]
Axl+Rose++PNG.png
699 KB, 468x599
>>60988628
>Right now alternative, the only thing that means to me is Kurt Cobain and Nirvana, who basically is a fucking junkie with a junkie life. If the baby’s born deformed, I think they both ought to go to prison, that’s my feeling. He’s too good, and too cool, to bring his rock and roll to you, because the majority of you he doesn’t like, or want to play to, or even want you to like his music.
And he was fucking right!
>>
>>60988517
Truth. Nirvana is a real punk band they just fell into the wrong place and if Kurt killed himself I think that's why. He pretty much soiled the scene and gave it to corporate greed. He didn't know though, he was just a greasy stoner that could make good songs.
>>
>>60988628
>>60988507
Pantera are the most guilty party in existence of being total bandwagoners who realized the 80s was over and it was time to put down the Spandex and clown wigs.
>>
>>60988684
>He’s too good, and too cool, to bring his rock and roll to you, because the majority of you he doesn’t like, or want to play to, or even want you to like his music.

..says the guy who had temper tantrums and stormed off stage in the middle of a show repeatedly.
>>
>>60988684
Kurt didn't intend to be a superstar music man like Axel did, so I guess it's hard for him to understand. What is someone supposed to do if they don't want to be a celebrity anymore? You don't just stop.
>>
File: Axl_Scream.jpg (82 KB, 681x1071) Image search: [Google]
Axl_Scream.jpg
82 KB, 681x1071
>>60988709
That doesn't mean he hated his fans, just that he's unstable. Kurt actually hated his fans. Axl wrote Breakdown and November Rain. What did Kurt write? Smells Like Teen Spirit. Pffft. He was also a certified wuss.

>Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love were in a tent at the VMA’s and spotted Axl Rose walking by with his bodyguards and sarcastically asked him to be the Godfather of their child.

>Kurt & Courtney: Axl, will you be the Godfather of our child?

>Axl turns around, and points his finger at Courtney.

>Axl: You better shut up bitch. Don’t pitch me any shit tonight.

>Axl turns to Kurt.

>Axl: You better keep your wife shut, or I’m going to take you to the pavement.

>Kurt was shaking.

>Kurt: What!?!? What are you going to do, you’re going to beat me up?

>Axl: You better keep your wife’s mouth shut. You embarrass everybody. You embarrass your wife, you embarrass your old man, you embarrass me.

>Kurt sarcastically turned to Courtney.

>Kurt: Shut up bitch!
>>
>>60988225
Well he did even when Cobain was alive, so
>>
File: axl.jpg (12 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
axl.jpg
12 KB, 480x270
>>60988737
Exactly: Axl Rose was a small town white boy from Indiana with a dream. Kurt was too "cool" to have a dream. That's why he's dead. Total waste.
>>
>>60988688
I agree. Not that their run in the 90s wasn't legendary, but let's not forget that they were bandwagoners of the worst kind.
>>
>>60987913
Passionate, great band to see live. Eddie still got it. Watch pearl jam 20 for info. Soundtrack to my youth (I'm 34)
>>
I like the Do The Evolution video (+ the song by association I guess) and Rats
>>
>>60988685
"I wanted to be a rock star like Led Zeppelin, I wanted to write the goofiest pop songs, and I also wanted to play extreme punk."
>>
File: lady costanza.png (671 KB, 781x675) Image search: [Google]
lady costanza.png
671 KB, 781x675
>mfw people shit on Pearl Jam

I'll never not like them and there's nothing you faggots can do about it
>>
>>60988758
Hi Axl
>>
>>60988828
>Passionate, great band to see live

If you can hack Eddie's monologues at every show about how awesome Obama is.
>>
>>60988863
Axl is one of my personal idols, I will admit: He speaks to the young white male angst that permeates my soul. He could control an audience like no other. His stage presence from 1987-1993 was unmatched. And unlike ALL of his contemporaries, he could write: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7xQ04nlePM
>>
>>60988933
You know he was raped by his stepfather and a dude who drove him to LA. He always had a gay fruit side to him which is why he wanted to hang out with Elton John and Paul McCartney and make music videos where he's swimming with dolphins while the other guys just wanted to play rawk.
>>
>>60988802
William Burroughs was an idol of his. Kurt just couldn't handle the heroin. Not many are up to the task. Like I would have thought Damon Albarn from Blur would die from heroin. But no, its people like Kurt. Pity, he wrote some amazing stuff
>>
>>60989005
the insecurity is staggering

is this real life?
>>
>>60988872
Saw them here in Ireland so it didn't apply. He fought for a fair ticket price for fans and stuff which is laudable. Does seem a bit of a bandwagoner all the same
>>
>>60989005
God forbid Axl wanted to hang out with songwriters worth a damn and make music videos that were a little bit ambitious.
>>
>>60989025
>Kurt just couldn't handle the heroin. Not many are up to the task

Anthony Kiedis meanwhile appears to be made of indestructium.
>>
Vitalogy is their best album and an underrated 90s album.
>>
They only became good in No Code.
>>
>>60989133
Him and Keith Richards. Meanwhile, the trail of dead junkies is long.

>Kurt Cobain
>Hillel Slovak
>Layne Staley
>Scott Weiland
>Brian Jones
>Jimi Hendrix
>Jim Morrison
>>
>>60989218
Hendrix died of pills he didn't know were really fucking strong. Over 1 pill is fatal, he took 8. In fairness it was in Germany and he obviously couldn't read the label.
>>
>>60988802
>>60989025
IMO Axl was the more wholesome peroson, interpersonal, looking out for his own. But Kurt promoted tolerance and acceptance, he spread a good message to the people even if he himself failed to abide by any of his good words. He was a good person at heart, who couldn't do any good.

Music wise? Well, it's subjective, but I adore Axl's music whilst I can't stand a note of Cobains music.
>>
>>60989218
>Layne Staley
"My liver is a total mess. Understand I'm not doing drugs to get high, it's more like a diabetic who needs his insulin. It's awful. I'm in pain all the time. I wish I'd never gotten into the stuff. Dope mad sickens the entire body."
>>
>>60989133
Yea and Fuzzicunti the guitar player - I like his style though. Raw

>>60989174
I agree, a friend of mine and huge PJ fan fuckin hates it though for some reason.
>>
>>60989133
Slash and Nikki Sixx both almost died of ODs. I mean, they were actually hospitalized and nearly didn't make it.
>>
>>60989323
If you saw that JF interview from 1994, it's a little scary. He looks like a skeleton and he's shaking slightly the whole time. He was homeless for a while and also lost most of his teeth. During a large part of the Californication tour, he wore long sleeves on stage and didn't take his shirt off because his body was all covered with scars.
>>
>>60989323
>I agree, a friend of mine and huge PJ fan fuckin hates it though for some reason.
ironic how on that album they started leaving their safe zone and really showed their songwriting chops.
i'm not surprised your friend doesn't like it if he doesn't like the bleak tone of the album and some of the experimental parts.
>>
I used to hate them but the older I get the more I like them. Not sure what that says about them nor me.
>>
Pearl Jam only sounded like stadium rock on Ten when they didn't yet have the money or creative control to produce things the way they wanted. Later albums are a lot different and less commercial/melodic.
>>
File: layne feels.png (75 KB, 644x700) Image search: [Google]
layne feels.png
75 KB, 644x700
>>60989318
>wish I couldn't feel at all
>>
>>60989510
The remix of Ten actually sounds fucking awesome, took out all that stadium rock reverb and now it sounds heavy like it should always have done.
>>
>>60989318
All rock star addicts say the same shit, it's classic addictive logic of absolving yourself of responsibility and simultaneously justifying what you're doing, as well as giving reason to not even bother trying to stop. Remember Kurt Cobain was a junky just because he had "mysterious and unexplained" stomach problems?
>>
>>60989318
>Understand I'm not doing drugs to get high, it's more like a diabetic who needs his insulin

He's talking about withdrawal syndrome. A lot of junkies, if they go cold turkey, become violently ill. They get to the point where they need to shoot up to feel just normal. The poor guy should have really gotten detox treatment like Rob Halford and John Frusciante did, unfortunately he lived like a hermit and allowed himself to reach the point of no return.
>>
>>60989510
>>60989547
Ofc it's well known that Cobain hated the production on Nevermind ("It sounds like fucking Motley Crue") but he didn't have a lot of say in the matter.
>>
>>60988852
>Wanted
He was talking about his childhood assfucker
>>
>>60989510
a lot of Ten veers heavily in commerciality, doesn't mean the whole product was pandering or compromised. there's a nice dramatic effect to Ten and they're not just effusing Zeppelin for the alternative crowd, they actually pull it off quite well and have some 80s hardcore inspired elements in there too.
>>
>>60989613
>The poor guy should have really gotten detox treatment like Rob Halford

Rob was a pretty massive alcoholic/cokehead by the mid-80s, but after a violent fight with his gay boyfriend (who committed suicide in front of him), he pulled himself together and said "Y'know what, I need help. I'm going to rehab."
>>
>>60989639
Cobain knew exactly what he was doing when he signed for a major label, I think all those self-deprecating comments about how things could have been better reeks of posturing and appealing to both the underground and mainstream which extends to some identity issues.
>>
>>60989729
>>60989639
I wish everything on Nevermind sounded like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAy---wp_DQ
>>
>>60987923
are you 12? holy fuck
>>
>>60989791
there is literally almost no difference.
>>
>>60989729
>whines about mainstream sellouts
>signs to a major label and produces music videos that played on MTV 15x every day
>>
>>60989822
are you deaf?
>>
>>60987923
It's from the 90's you fucking child.

>>60988406
They're pretty different.
>>
>>60989874
kids born in 1997 are 18 now
>>
>>60989851
No seriously, there is almost no difference other than it's less "polished". What was up Kurt's ass exactly? It's the same song, the same key, same tempo, etc etc etc. Fucking twat.
>>
>>60989887
so most of /mu/s userbase rn then
>>
File: 920x920.jpg (129 KB, 920x615) Image search: [Google]
920x920.jpg
129 KB, 920x615
>>60989828
KC was as ambitious as anyone else. He very much wanted the underground Seattle scene to get on major labels and evict Def Leppard & friends.

This was at the 93 MTV Awards. Obviously anyone who goes to those things and waits nervously for their album to be nominated can't claim he's not mainstream as fuck. Rest assured he knew exactly what he was doing.
>>
>>60989910
Stay mad, it sounds way better
>>
>>60989954
Def Leppard > Nirvana
>>
>>60989976
pfft
>>
>>60989969
to an autist, maybe
>>
>>60990005
xD ebin
>>
>>60990001
did Kurt write anything as good as this? No, of course he didn't, because as demonstrated ITT Kurt didn't know a single thing about production. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaiaaar88EM
>>
>>60989954
Well, some of Billy Corgan's comments in interviews suggest that the alternative guys were plenty ambitious back then, but it's more a case of they hoped their music wouldn't be watered down into fake bandwagoner shit which of course is exactly what did happen when Creed and Puddle of Mudd came along.
>>
>>60990031
Kurt never wrote a better song than Hysteria because...he didn't know about production?

hmm, ok den
>>
>>60990005
wow, got him good there man, nice
>>
>>60990053
Yes and yes. Glad you see it my way.
>>
>>60990079
see >>60990023
>>
>>60990053
Hysteria is a production masterpiece ofc the lyrics are total bubblegum like all their albums from Pyromania onward.
>>
there are few artists in history who were more primed for the immortalising effect of suicide than cobain.

as for vedder, according to anyone who's ever met him, eddie vedder is just the nicest dude. pearl jam rode the grunge scene but their sound wasn't cut from the same cloth of scathing introspection and power chords. vedder's suicide would've just been a giant bummer for all concerned, but the band's sound was more than just him.
>>
How come Soundgarden never gets any threads? They were the best among the "big four" of alternative rock. Their first 5 albums are fantastic.

Superunknown > Badmotorfinger > Louder than Love > Ultramega OK > Down on the Upside

Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhke_1WnX-Q
>>
>>60990169
I never said the production on Hysteria wasn't good, or that the production on Nevermind is better (it's not), but Kurt was just a better songwriter.
>>
>>60990181
>eddie vedder is just the nicest dude. pearl jam rode the grunge scene but their sound wasn't cut from the same cloth of scathing introspection and power chords. vedder's suicide would've just been a giant bummer for all concerned, but the band's sound was more than just him.

Well yeah that comes with being a four-piece band instead of a power trio which is more in the punk mold.
>>
>>60990228
there are five people in PJ
>>
>>60988257
He is a giant Neil Young fan, in fact PJ covering his songs helped introduce him to a new young generation of fans in the 90s and you know what Neil's, ah, politics are like.
>>
>>60990271
Four piece as in instruments.
>>
>>60990228
a trio is more of a punk thing? besides, that hardly has to do with anything.
>>
>>60990274
Eddie also worships The Who. I don't know if PJ ever covered them though.
>>
>>60990274
if i recall, neil only started getting preachy very recently with the whole GMO, climate change thing. I don't think Neil Young outright supported or endorsed a specific candidate and he only started signaling out people like Trump just now, when Vedder was openly endorsing Nader in 2000.
>>
>>60990361
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO31Vgrr3oM

this is the superior version of this song desu senpai
>>
>>60990363
lyl

Neil has been a butthurt SJW lefty since the 60s-70s (eg. Southern Man).
>>
>>60990437
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>60990437
>>60990363
Oh and making an entire album of butthurt about George Bush.
>>
preachy buttrock for college students
>>
ITT: shit only friendless people say out loud
>>
>>60988169
I don't really care for them but used to be obsessed with them. My mom was 8 months into her pregnancy when she went to a Pearl Jam concert with my dad, so that probably explains it.
>>
>>60990475
Remind me again why a Canadian man is whining about an American president.
>>
File: kurt courtney.jpg (117 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
kurt courtney.jpg
117 KB, 900x600
>Courtney: In my parallel universe the No. 1 album would always be [Captain Beefheart's] Trout Mask Replica. Kurt and I fucked to that record once. It was amazing sex.
What did she mean by this?
>>
>>60990548
Because America is Canada's neighbor and also the most powerful nation on Earth
>>
>>60990554
>I did lots of drugs

glad I could help
>>
HEY JEWEMY. HOW WAS KWASS TODAY.
>>
File: Ed_Ved7.jpg (22 KB, 407x452) Image search: [Google]
Ed_Ved7.jpg
22 KB, 407x452
>WHY GO HOME
>WHY GO HOME
>WHY GO HOME
>WHY GO HOME
>>
Vitalogy is a good album

that's about it
>>
>>60988758
Kurt didn't hate his fans. He hated the jock/frat boy types that started turning up to his shows one they hit the big time. The types that would start fights in the pits and were the total opposite of Nirvana's politics of being respectful towards women and homosexuals.
>>
File: 1440641839472.jpg (19 KB, 250x256) Image search: [Google]
1440641839472.jpg
19 KB, 250x256
>>60990893
>that's about it
>mfw
>>
>>60990204
>DOTU that low
>not their second best
filtered
>>
>>60990898
Every band has to deal with the idiots who only want to hear their hit singles all played studio-perfect.
>>
>>60991010
I heard about how Jimi Hendrix in his last months was pretty pissed at how they only came to his shows to hear Purple Haze and Foxy Lady. He always obliged the fans and played them, but he didn't like it.
>>
>>60990898
"You have two kinds of bands. One is a group like The Pixies who have something thoughtful to say in their music, the other are the big, dumb, loud let's party until the world ends groups like Van Halen."

"I remember being just about the only kid in school who cared about music. Most of the guys I knew were just into drinking, fighting, and chasing girls. I felt so different that I wondered if I must be gay. The whole experience left me with a seething contempt for the American macho male. I like being around women and homosexuals."
>>
>>60987913
I thought (and still think) that 10 was a classic album when it came out.
They declined quickly, turned insufferable and have been buzzing the same monotone shit since the mid 90's though.
Kind of wish they had retired after like 3 albums desu
>>
>>60991129
>"I felt so different that I wondered if I must be gay. The whole experience left me with a seething contempt for the American macho male. I like being around women and homosexuals."
Kurt = Faggot
>>
>>60990204
'Nothing to Say' was my first exposure to grunge back in like '95-96. There was a short clip of the song on the grunge article on Microsoft Encarta. Damn that seems like forever ago.
>>
>>60991129
Yeah...Cobain was probably beaten up by AC/DC fans en route to a Melvins show or something. That was what happened in those days; punk was a subculture that stood in the shadows of the big mainstream stadium rock which was listened to by dudebros.
>>
>>60987913
LEGACY band
>>
>>60988758
Axl definitely got the best of this exchange. Fuck Cobain and fuck Courtney. Both are junkie whores.
>>
>>60989278
He died in London
He took barbituates that he knew were strong
The pills didn't kill him, just fucked him up to the point his gf called an ambulance because he wouldn't wake up
the ambulance attendant was poorly trained and loaded him on his back and left him in back unattended while driving to hospital
he puked and aspirated his own vomit and asphyxiated
a trained EMT would have saved him easily by not doing something incredibly stupid
>>
>>60989510
I like 10 but I find it very masturbatory. It's basically the guitarists trying to sound like later Jimi for an hour
>>
>>60991246
"Punk rock is dead and buried. We're just giving it a nice funeral and honoring its memory as best we can."
>>
>>60991323
I do have a soft spot for Hendrix-style guitar, so I like it.
>>
>>60989729
Nevermind sounds very like Nirvana's Live sound in that period
Cobain admitted after the fact the sole point of the album was to blow up and make cash and he modeled the sound on The Smithereens successful pop crossover album that maintained a heavy sound with melodic songs
>>
>>60991350
>I do have a soft spot for Hendrix-style guitar, so I like it.
Me too. I told a friend it sounded like the guitarists spent an hour listening to Band of Gypsies in the parking lot before each recording session and he told me one of them
>>
>>60991350
>>60991399
The ending solo in Dani California IIRC was John Frusciante purposely trying to ape Hendrix.
>>
>>60991274
>Axl definitely got the best of this exchange. Fuck Cobain and fuck Courtney. Both are junkie whores.

If it went down Axl would have beat the crap out of Cobain and fought Cuntney Love to a draw is my guess.
>>
>>60991433
Frusciante subtly does this A LOT, slips in soft bluesy Hendrix feels all the time
>>
>>60991323
>tfw the most Hendrix-worshippy PJ tune is actually their best song
>tfw it's also Eddie's most incomprehensible vocal performance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLd22ha_-VU
>>
>>60991355
Uh huh. He had to pay his dues first before he could get to make the music he really wanted to make on In Utero.
>>
>>60991462
>>60991433
Surprise? He's said plenty of times the he modeled his playing style on Jimi Hendrix.
>>
>>60991506
yeah it's almost as though James Hendrix is a highly influential guitarist
>>
Buttrock
>>
>>60991524
>yeah it's almost as though James Hendrix is a highly influential guitarist

Why is that? Isn't he like really old or something now?
>>
>>60991569
I'm pretty sure he never had the chance to get old.

>yfw he'd be 71 if he were alive now
>>
>>60991598
he had the potential to be the coolest old black man of all time and he blew it

what an idiot
>>
>>60991622
Nah all that would happen is that he'd devolve into making ultra-pretentious, self-indulgent material that nobody but himself could possibly appreciate.
>>
>>60991643
Jimi Hendrix was probably the most unpretentious musician who ever lived
>>
>>60991643
devolve?
same guy who recorded little miss strange on an otherwise all time great album?
devolve?
>>
File: icecream.png (2 MB, 1718x1360) Image search: [Google]
icecream.png
2 MB, 1718x1360
>>60991678
no
>>
>>60991694
Maybe not the best word to use.
>>
>>60991724
name one
>>
>>60991694
Little Miss Strange is great though
>>
File: iapf712xf456456.jpg (39 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
iapf712xf456456.jpg
39 KB, 650x650
>>60991760
literally most people
>>
>>60987923
this

literally my dads favourite band and i remember in primary school our teacher made us learn last kiss for an assembly. he was probably the most dad tier teacher you could ever lay eyes on
>>
>>60988628
"GNR are a bunch of people with no talent who make garbage music and somehow they're the biggest band on the planet right now. I can't believe it."
>>
>>60991794
great answer fagtron
>>
>>60991821
>in primary school our teacher made us learn last kiss for an assembly
Primary school? That's a depressing af song to make a bunch of kids sing.
>>
>>60991831
Kurt couldn't write a song as powerful as November Rain if he tried https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn-URNxfkj8
>>
>>60991925
lmaooooooo
>>
pearl jam are one of my favourite bands, you cant hate eddie vedder, he was never in the glam scene, he has a great voice, their albums are solid, the later ones are all great rock albums, i dont get the hate desu
>>
>>60991958
80% of /mu/ has daddy issues
>>
>>60991941
It's true. Kurt wasn't intelligent or talented enough. He didn't try to understand the human condition because he thought he was better than it. Meanwhile Axl Rose was a lyrical and melodic genius https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kBbnozv-Lg
>>
>>60991925
>>60991831
Well, Guns did start looking pretty outdated by 1992 compared with Pearl Jam and AiC. That macho thud rock image of theirs was starting to feel like last decade's news. Axl was getting really into electronica and industrial around the time they broke up so I think he did have some sense that they needed to evolve into something more 90s.
>>
>>60991907
guy was probably having a major mid life crisis looking back on it
>>
>>60991978
thats probably why they label what ever they can as dad rock
>>
>>60991999
Axl's emotional songs were infused with a distinct 80's cheese. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't give them a lot of emotional weight for me. That, and the fact that I don't think the timbre of his voice was suited to it. I think Polly carries more emotional weight than any GnR song.

>>60992034
Exactly.
>>
>>60991999
>>60991999
trips dont lie

all memes aside, gnr were way more talented, i mean fucking hell slash was a great guitarist, axl to this day is renowned as one of the best vocalists of all time, not to mention izzy stradlin was a great rhythm player, and duff has one of the most recognisable bass tones ever

but in kurts defense he didnt set out to that, his music is more emotion than it is skill
>>
File: confused james.png (157 KB, 594x596) Image search: [Google]
confused james.png
157 KB, 594x596
>>60992093
>slash was a great guitarist
>>
>>60992022
GNR and Metallica both had the same dilemma...they toured for two years, came home, and realized that alternative had taken over and they were looking like 80s dinosaurs. Guns simply broke up after releasing an album of punk covers, Metallica did a shitty bandwagon of alternative rock with Load almost two years too late.
>>
File: adam.jpg (11 KB, 237x253) Image search: [Google]
adam.jpg
11 KB, 237x253
HEEEEEEYYYOOOOOOOO
Operaman is a big Pearl Jam fano
>>
File: suspicious stoklasa.png (62 KB, 166x219) Image search: [Google]
suspicious stoklasa.png
62 KB, 166x219
>>60992132
>people still defend his SNL characters
>>
>>60992062
Polly is too mystic for me to take seriously. And ANY GnR song? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9B7hgSztA0

Axl Rose was a bit of a histrionic but he wore his heart on his sleeve because he believed the artist should be honest with himself and his fans. Kurt Cobain on the other hand thought emotional vulnerability passe and that only a select few could understand and appreciate his music. He was a self-important twat underneath his humble facade as pretty much every quote ITT demonstrates. Axl Rose was at least up front about his prick-sure attitude.
>>
>>60992129
I agree. They waited too long between albums. Load should have come out in 94 and not 96 when grunge was almost at the end of the road.
>>
>>60988343
Blood is pretty Punk-ish
kinda
>>
>>60992240
Load sucked but that's because it's shitty music, nothing to do with timing. It was a massive success financially, so obviously timing was right for what they were trying to do. It's just a crappy album.
>>
>>60992438
It was a success saleswise at the price of costing Metallica nearly all of the core metal fanbase and buying them a new "following" of 12 year olds and white trash moms.
>>
>>60989199
>UP HERE IN MY TREEEEE
>>
>>60989695
>his gay boyfriend
Well of course his boyfriend was gay
>>
>>60992196
>Polly is too mystic for me to take seriously.
>Axl Rose was a bit of a histrionic but he wore his heart on his sleeve because he believed the artist should be honest with himself and his fans.
>Axl Rose was at least up front about his prick-sure attitude.
literally reddit: the post

>Kurt Cobain on the other hand thought emotional vulnerability passe and that only a select few could understand and appreciate his music. He was a self-important twat underneath his humble facade as pretty much every quote ITT demonstrates.
literally opinions: the post
>>
>>60992667
Literally memes: The rebuttal. But hey with your gift of gab you could probably be the next Kurt Cobain!
>>
>>60992123
>memes aside
>>
>>60992694
literally reddit: the anon
>>
>>60992726
you heard me
>>
>>60988933
I don't even like Guns 'n Roses but damn that was an awesome performance
>>
File: gif171.gif (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
gif171.gif
6 KB, 200x200
>>60989822
Holy shit
>>
>>60992792
literally original: the post
>>
>>60988933
i actually really liked that, i normally disregard g'n'r

but there must be a reason people like them
>>
>>60988933
Funny how many great bands sounded better right before they blew up than at any point in their commercially successful career

I'm not an Oasis fan but I've seen vids of them at the Wetlands in NY right before MTV took them on as a project and they were exceptional live in a smaller club
>>
>>60993108
check out that whole concert if you want, it's generally regarded as the best live performance they ever did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIV46m-l-Uk
>>
>>60993108
>i normally disregard g'n'r
>but there must be a reason people like them
If you lived through them they really were what most people credit grunge with
they were the great roots rock hard core edgy sound band that cut through all the crappy MTV hairspray clone band chatter
It was like a sea of fakeness then suddenly BAM! something intensely real
funny thing they were a hairspray band until basically the moment they blew up, the 1st vid from appetite was hairspray and makeup, second flannel and jeans
>>
>>60989822
fucking hell mate
>>
>>60993177
congrats on completely missing the visual metaphor of the fucking Welcome to the Jungle video.
>>
>>60990828
Why would he agree to pose for this
>>
>>60993216
>congrats on completely missing the visual metaphor of the fucking Welcome to the Jungle video.
they were doing hairspray and makeup on stage for years before that vid
>>
EDDIE VEDDER IS THE MOST INFLUENTIAL SINGER EVER
>>
>>60993177
I've never met an Axl Rose ball gargler before.
Not even a Cobain fan, but to say that Axl Rose was anything but a better trained singer is ludicrous. He didn't have nearly the same consistency in his writing, and his best works pale in comparison in most every way to Cobain's except pop and rock sensibilities. Not to mention that without Axl's band, he would've been stuck floundering on the college circuit whining about shit. His band made everything he ever wrote bearable.
Your measuring of the sentiment from which they precede is pretty silly, too. Beyond the fact you're trying to compare apples and oranges and that you're just latching onto your crush's feud, Axl's modus operandi was that he was some kind if lovelorn, tortured 20th century poet. Which he obviously wasnt even close to approaching. How that's better than Cobain's post modern depression, i dont know

Tl;dr- Cobains shit and was a cunt, but Rose is way shittier and cuntier.
>>
>>60990271
retard
>>
>>60987934
>le robert plant ripoff is good meme
>>
>>60993533
>Not to mention that without Axl's band, he would've been stuck floundering on the college circuit whining about shit. His band made everything he ever wrote bearable.
Ahem, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn-URNxfkj8

Kurt couldn't compose something like this if he tried.
>>
Eddie Vedder is a cunt, and his band is absolute shit. End of story.
>>
>>60992526
>IM GONNA MAKE YOU SMILE
>>
>>60991999
>Axl Rose was a lyrical and melodic genius
>>
>>60993993
Prove he wasn't. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE2nBDf4u0k
>>
>>60994025
>Prove he wasn't
that's not how it works
>>
>>60994077
Sick of this life
Not that you'd care
I'm not the only one with
whom these feelings I share

Nobody understands,
quite why we're here
We're searchin' for answers
That never appear

But maybe if I looked real hard I'd
I'd see your tryin' too
To understand this life,
That we're all goin' through
(Then when she said she was gonna like wreck my car...
I didn't know what to do)

Sometimes I feel like I'm beatin' a dead horse
An I don't know why you'd be bringin' me down
I'd like to think that our love's worth a tad more
It may sound funny but you'd think by now
I'd be smilin'
I guess some things never change
Never change

Teenage angst has paid off well
Now I'm bored and old
Self-appointed judges judge
More than they have sold
If she floats than she is not
A witch like we had thought
A down payment on another
One at Salem's lot
Serve the servants - oh no
That legendary divorce is such a bore
>>
According Scaruffi

Guns n' roses and Pearl jam are better band than Nirvana

End of the discussion
>>
>>60994114
You know what's really funny? He only made that song in order to make millions not because that's how he genuinely felt. Also I bet he wrote this kindergarten tune in 20 mins. The only reason he's famous is for welcome to the jungle and the only reason he hasn't been relevant since is because he could never duplicate its success.
>>
>>60994207
>He only made that song in order to make millions not because that's how he genuinely felt. Also I bet he wrote this kindergarten tune in 20 mins.
Hahahah some of those were Nirvana lyrics. I hope you realize what an idiot you are.
>>
>>60994207
Sweet Child of Mine was the song that made them, Welcome to the Jungle hung out for like a year without getting attention (it was on a movie soundtrack) before Sweet Child hit and GnR took off.
Also, November Rain was a massive hit after Grunge came out. They were still a much bigger deal than Nirvana when that song was on top
>>
>>60994205
underrated post
>>
>>60993542
fuck your mother
>>
dad rock
>>
>>60987923
>>60997477
How is it that Pearl Jam is considered dad rock while other bands from that time period like Radiohead, Oasis, Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, Green Day, The Offspring, and Blur aren't?
>>
>>60993542
>>60996103
great discussion boys, did you remember to finish your homework before posting?
>>
I'd love to hate Pearl Jam as much as you cool guys but they've written way too many songs I love and have attached personal significance to. I mean, fucking Rearviewmirror guys. Corduroy. Not For You. Immortality. Off He Goes. ALL of Ten, ALL of it. That shit's going to stick with me forever.
>>
>>60997808
Pearl Jam specifically attempted to tap into a 70s aesthetic and musical style for much of their career. They aren't as moody as grunge stereotypically is portrayed.
>>
>>60998562
Oh no, Pearl Jam was super moody. They just did it in a 70s rawk way.
>>
Yellow Ledbetter is the only song of theirs I still like.
Thread replies: 219
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.