[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are bassists such shit musicians?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 249
Thread images: 30
File: 43434335757.jpg (49 KB, 474x319) Image search: [Google]
43434335757.jpg
49 KB, 474x319
Why are bassists such shit musicians?
>>
DUDE ONE STRING LMAO
>>
Can this thread be closed?
>>
I'lll have you know I play on three strings.
>>
File: thin_lizzy.jpg (71 KB, 500x354) Image search: [Google]
thin_lizzy.jpg
71 KB, 500x354
>people that have mastered the guitar and now lead the band
>>
>>60984008
don't worry son, one day you'll be able to play it good
you just need to stop raging and posting on 4chan about it
>>
>>60984050
Three strings just sounds bad at one time, it always sounds out of key
>>
>>60984120
>thundercat
>jaco pastorius
>this guy doesn't know wtf he's talking about
>>
>>60984057
>except that's rarely the case

>>60984058
>implying I don't have to pick up the bass and show them what to play in every fucking band I've played in
>>
>>60984142
(what's the recommended jaco i never really got into him)
>>
>>60984302
>in every fucking band I've played in
See, that's the problem. You should have killed yourself a long time ago.
>>
>>60984302
>>except that's rarely the case

it does happen, "you play over this shit dude"
>>
>>60984386
You sound like an angry shitty bassist. Protip: learn guitar first and if you can't do that then just stop trying.
>>
>>60984314
start with his self-titled
>>
>>60984453
>>60984314
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEs5sKDXZuk
>>
File: rickenbacker1.jpg (936 KB, 3118x1080) Image search: [Google]
rickenbacker1.jpg
936 KB, 3118x1080
>>60984120
nah. your bass guitar just sucks.
>>
File: wuaa.jpg (8 KB, 225x224) Image search: [Google]
wuaa.jpg
8 KB, 225x224
>>60984451
>mfw i've been playing guitar since I was 8, kek
i'm also not angry at all, i just suggested that you kill yourself
>>
>>60984507
hurr durr le epic kill yourself meme. man... you're gonna go far in life. i can see it.
>>
File: disgusting.jpg (25 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
disgusting.jpg
25 KB, 240x320
>>60984314
>Debut album
>First track, Donna Lee bass solo rendition
>Sounds horrible
>Into the trash it goes
>>
>>60984594
:^)
>>
>>60984565
I don't need to go far, in fact I don't have to move at all, rustling some autist's jimmies is pretty funny
>>
File: Vintage_Geddy_Lee_with_Quiver.jpg (385 KB, 818x576) Image search: [Google]
Vintage_Geddy_Lee_with_Quiver.jpg
385 KB, 818x576
>>60984008
Excuse me?
>>
>>60984594
kek
>>
Want to hear a joke about bass players?
>>
>>60984669
Geddy Lee sucks
>>
>>60984629
>le epic troll
I think your chicken nuggets are ready anon. You can tell your mother about your epic trolling while you eat.
>>
Nice bait, mang. I hope you like that people are posting in your threads. I'll let the local news know.
>>
They picked their instrument based on what is the easiest to learn?
>>
>>60984507
>mfw you're 9
>>
>>60984008
>buttmad guitarist detected

daily reminder that if you're not in the top 1% of guitarists, you're shit
>>
>>60985705
What's the criteria for the top 1%? How is it measured?
>>
>>60986055
Money and fame, like anything.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 500x417) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 500x417
>>60984008
Tell that to him
>>
>Charles Mingus
>shit musician
L O L
>>
>>60986125
urgh, the majority of people who got rich because of their guitar playing were and are total hacks, though
>>
I thought the whole "bassists suck" thing was just a meme, but then I joined a band who had a really highly regarded local bassist. I ended up having to track half his riffs when we went to record a demo. Even bassists who are supposed to be good suck
>>
>>60986309
and naturally this anecdote proves all bassists are shit
>>
>>60986382
Exactly, thanks for understanding
>>
File: 3453535.jpg (157 KB, 480x486) Image search: [Google]
3453535.jpg
157 KB, 480x486
>>
>>60986309
My anecdotal evidence says the same. All these "amazing" bassists with huge rigs etc. can't even keep simple time and fuck up constantly. Meanwhile I pick up their bass and play their part perfectly and I'm an asshole for "showing them up." Just my experience but I really wish I could find a decent bassist. It's ridiculous.
>>
>>60986182
Double bass is different, it actualy requires you to have good ear, all bassists I know can't tune by ear.
>>
Zach Smith from Pinback is pretty good.
>>
It's the instrument that attracts hacks with no talent. Drums and guitar are raw skill (which the talentless hacks that bassists are cannot put the effort to get), singing takes lot of effort (something bassists do not have the patience for), and keyboard takes too much learning of "nerdy stuff."

The average bassline can be learned in half an hour, and the average normie won't even hear it, so nobody really cares if they fuck up.

Plus, bassists are naturally beta introverts so the fact that the majority of people will ignore them is pretty enticing.

I've led many bands in my time, and I've made sure that every single one of them has no bass. It's not worth it.
>>
>>60987236
>I've made sure that every single one of them has no bass
A semi-competent bassist is better than no bassist. Bands with no bass sound so empty live
>>
>>60987236
>and I've made sure that every single one of them has no bass. It's not worth it.
I may take your advice on this. In my experience they slow the whole process down so much it gets to be unbearably frustrating.
>>
>>60984008
I thought us bassists were safe here
Apparently I was wrong
>>
>>60987372

Sorry, anon, but being a useless third wheel is a universally hated trait.
>>
>Thundercat
Now fuck off
>>
>>60987396
I played in a few bands with exclusively bass and drums and things went fine
It's not like learning any instrument at a rudimentary level is difficult; mastering bass is just as hard as mastering guitar or drums or any non-orchestra instrument, really. A lot of bassists may lack skill, but so do quite a few guitarists and drummers (trust me, I've had experience)
>>
>>60987440

>mastering bass is just as hard as mastering guitar or drums

LMAO

Bassists, everyone.
>>
>>60987479
Post examples of what you consider to be master guitarists, bassists, and drummers, then
What exactly are your criteria?
>>
>>60987479
Anon, I don't want to make you worry, but I think you might be retarded
>>
>>60987553
>>60987568

>Getting good with four strings is somehow just as hard as getting good with six+ strings or a big ass drum kit
>>
what about people who play the upright bass?
>>
>>60987617
Guitarists can use feedback and distortion to cover up a lot of errors/sloppier playing, while bass solos/fills often have to be more complex to be considered noteworthy or impressive at all
Not to mention that bass strings are larger and thicker, making them more difficult to play, as well as the sheer amount of right-hand technique required to be fully proficient. Number of strings/parts to the instrument honestly means very little when it comes to difficulty
>>
File: rw01.jpg (45 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
rw01.jpg
45 KB, 500x625
>>60984008
>bassist
>shit musician
toppest of keks
>>
File: 4L_N2rVFwqP.jpg (71 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
4L_N2rVFwqP.jpg
71 KB, 500x333
>>60984008
Who is OMAR RODRIGUEZ LOPEZ? The dude self identifies as a bassist and is better then any guitarist alive right now. There's a reason classic guitarist were great, and that's because they all started on the bass. Now guitarist go straight to tabs or YouTube vids learn scales and power chords and wonder why their music sounds like shit. You never learned the bones of music you just wanted to be GUITAR GOD. Crappy bassist are usually shitty guitarist anyways. Any real good bassist is already in a gigging band too busy getting paid to be in your bedroom project.
>>
>>60987653
fucking this.

>muh it's only 4 strings, it has to be easier
>not realizing bass is a marriage of rhythm and tone and really isn't anything like playing guitar
>>
File: 4L_dqxANbbl.png (261 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
4L_dqxANbbl.png
261 KB, 640x1136
>>60987617
Drums: keep the beat
Guitar: play the notes
BASSIST: does both
>>
>>60987617
by your reasoning, djent guitarists must be the best guitarists of all time since many of them use seven or eight strings
>>
>>60987675
to be fair though he's a pretty shitty bassist
>>
>>60984703
0/10 bait
>>
I write powerpop/janglepop with dual 6 string guitars, but our bass player does the bulk of the melody. Hands down the most talented member. Bass is a wonderful instrument in the right hands.
>>
You saying Flea, Bob DeLeo, and Geezer Butler are shit?
>>
>>60987343
There are lots of bands now that will just use their rhythm guitarist as a bassist with octave pedals and amp splitting
>>
>>60984008
Have you heard Flea's solo album? It's pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V-OtXN5QpI
>>
>>60988004
Yeah he's awesome it's too bad that John Frusciante always wanted to play radio-friendly easy listening songs where he didn't get to do anything.
>>
>>60987935
Joe Bouchard...also great and underrated compared with those guys.
>>
Gene Simmons was pretty good in the 70s, then afterwards he got lazy and just chugged the root note over and over.
>>
>>60987236
>Drummers are musicians
meme
>>
>>60987653
>>60987766
As a guitarist I agree but the fact is most bassists you'll meet can't even keep simple time let alone play anything noteworthy. It's like >>60987236 said.
Posting a bunch of exceptions to the rule only proves the point. It's too often the case that they can't hack it on guitar or anything else so default to bass but can't play that either because they just don't have any natural music ability. Sure most bassists in good bands are great at what they do and I respect them but from the standpoint of a musician the vast majority of them are insufferable and should just put the instrument down if they can't play.
>>
>>60987236
>Plus, bassists are naturally beta introverts

I agree. It's really unusual to have a guy like Flea or Gene Simmons. Most of them are quite anonymous.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjxqM5lPUxo
>>
>>60988122
>As a guitarist I agree but the fact is most bassists you'll meet can't even keep simple time

Rex Brown was a rare exception to the rule. On all the classic Pantera tracks, he knows the proper way to use a bass instead of playing two note for every note the lead guitarist bangs out.
>>
>>60988158
Nikki Sixx, although his main function was always as Motley Crue's main songwriter and PR guy. He's admitted that he can't do anything with the bass except play the root note.
>>
I kind of feel bad for Ian Hill. He was one of the original founding members of Judas Priest, helped write some of their early songs, and is the only guy to have played on every song they've ever recorded, but after the 70s he didn't get to do anything but play the root note.
>>
>>60987236
>guitar are raw skill
Quite a number of songs can be done off of one chord. Also,one can use a chord shape and just go up and down the neck with it merely varying pick attack and occasionally hitting a single string and voila- a guitar part.
>>
>>60988307
I can name a ton of guys like Billie Joe Armstrong that became jetsetting superstars when they never played anything except basic chords, so...
>>
Most bassist are shit because they actually are just guitarists playing bass. I'm pretty good though (:^)), probably because I only play bass and nothing else
>>
>>60988435
Totally agree.

I know of one band where the drummer wrote some of the material on a guitar with only the E and A strings.
>>
>>60988435
"I've never been a big fan of complexity in music. To me, a simple A chord can get the message of the song across as effectively as playing a million notes a minute."

-- Gene Simmons
>>
>>60987617
Kek you're a fucking retard, drums kits are easy to master
>>
>>60988525
Ben Weiman off Dillinger Escape Plan had to record the bass parts on Calculating Infinity due to their bassist being paralyzed in a car accident.
He said that he found out the hard way about the difference between just playing bass and being a bassist.
>>
>>60988158
Flea was actually a trumpet player first. He was kind of a child prodigy on trumpet and picked up bass mainly because Hillel already played guitar.
>>
>>60988602
I know. He didn't even listen to rock as a teenager, he was a jazz fan and only later Hillel turned him onto rock.
>>
File: Jaco.jpg (176 KB, 1035x1470) Image search: [Google]
Jaco.jpg
176 KB, 1035x1470
Because most of them are shitty guitarists who got asked to play bass in their shitty band
>>
>>60988041
Is this bait?
>>
>>60988648
I don't know about that man. I've played with a lot of bassists who are supposed to be good in my city (as in bass is their only instrument and they're supposed to be really good) but most of the time it's like seriously? I thought this guy can play? They also seem to think they're amazing musicians too. I'll never understand it.
>>
>>60988599
yeah ofc, same thing as you aren´t a guitarist just because you can play a few chords on a guitar, like you have to be atleast somewhat decent at the instrument to be able to consider it your "role" or whatever imo.
>>
everybody ITT is missing the major reason why bassists are inferior to everybody else in a typical rock band, and that's because everybody else actually brings something to the table. the guitarist might compose the songs, the singer might help tweak the songs and add a vocal melody, and the drummer brings the whole thing together. and what does the bassist do? he just plays what the guitarist wrote, and half the time nobody's going to hear him anyway.
>>
>>60988765
yup
>>
>>60988677
Read up. John always urged them to move beyond funk. In fact he said By The Way (the least funky album they ever put out) was his favorite RHCP record. He also wrote most of the material on that (probably 70%) himself. Even when he did play funk, he just copied the same chord progressions Hillel used while adding nothing original.
>>
File: ok kid.jpg (90 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
ok kid.jpg
90 KB, 900x900
>>60988765
>>
>>60988765
But to top that off they usually can't even play what the guitarist wrote and you need to waste a bunch of practice time while the bassist "figures it out."
>>
>>60988793
great rebuttal, you've really changed my perspective on this matter
>>
>>60988749
DESU I know a person like this, he's an arrogant loud mouthed cunt and brags on about how amazing he is at bass but he can barely keep time, he is also a bass elitist who talks shit about anyone who plays simple lines or plays with a pick, he also circle jerks over Tool. I think the actually good bassists are way too fucking shy to join a band.
>>
>>60986309
Bassists are either the worst musician in the band or the most musically talented and there's almost no inbetween unless the drummer is Lars Ulrich.
>>
>>60988765
>The guitarist writes the song
Unless you're Keith Richards or Tony Iommi that's how end up with a shitty band.
>>
>>60988831
You obviously don't listen to rock music outside of bland top 40 shit so I really don't feel like explaining it to you
>>
>>60988765
Man fuck you. Every band I've been in I was the only one actually composing shit and I play bass, the guitarists where the ones taking ages to fucking figure it out
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 177x174) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 177x174
>>60988765
lol. the worst part of this is that you probably consider yourself knowledgeable about music too
>>
>>60988305
In Priest's very early days with Al Atkinson, Ian and KK Downing were the main creative forces in the band, but Rob and Glenn quickly assumed that role so they got pushed to the background.
>>
>>60988918
lol What did you "compose" on bass which took the guitarists ages to figure out? Sounds like you're playing with some shit guitarists.
>>
>>60988912
you're right, that's obviously why I'm on /mu/

>>60988919
yeah

>>60988918
there are definitely exceptions. that's why I said the typical rock band

>>60988868
>>60988868
mac demarco, dave mustaine, james hetfield, jeff beck, eric clapton, ariel pink, kurt cobain, eddie van halen, jimi hendrix, but hey, what do any o those guys have in common aside from being some of the most influential musicians in rock history?
>>
>>60989017
Singers and guitarists, multi instrumentalists, whose talent expands beyond the guitar. Let the dumb dipshit who could only ever wrap his head around the guitar and you end up with shite.
>>
>>60989071
fair enough, but none of those musicians are lauded for their singing abilities like they are their guitar playing and composing. they're guitarists first and singers second, except eddie and beck who are just guitarists
>>
>>60989158
and ariel pink who's just a nutjob that happens to compose
>>
>>60989017
>implying Cliff wasn't the best composer in Metallica
>>
xd
>>
>>60988989
I've seen it more than a few times. Bassists ripping through lines at top speed and guitarists saying "Wait a minute, what the hell are you doing?, etc, etc."
>>
>>60989158
James Hetfield had said he always wanted to be a guitarist and he became a vocalist only because things just happened to work out that way.
>>
>>60989181
>implying dave wasn't
>>
>>60989265
Ironically nowadays his riffs are pretty shit but his sweet baritone is pretty cool.
>>
File: Kurt.jpg (70 KB, 438x453) Image search: [Google]
Kurt.jpg
70 KB, 438x453
>>60989017
>mac demarco
>ariel pink
>some of the most influential musicians in rock history

Also, the vast majority of people you listed were also the frontmen of their band and singers so of course they're going to write the most shit
>>
>Ctrl F
>no Steve Harris
>>
this has to be a bait thread. the function of bass in the majority of popular music is to anchor the melody and the rhythm. it's simple because that's the style that works best within the format. but that doesn't mean that there arent a ton of insane bass techniques and playing styles out there to master. look at fucking claypool and wooten. they're miles better than the majority of your sissy guitarists
>>
>>60989365
>>60989265
James usually doesn't do the growly voice on their records live because it would be too hard on his throat. For example Live In Seattle '89 he mostly sings clean vocals which sounds a little odd to people only used to hearing their studio work.
>>
>>60989427
Don't even try to bring up Claypool, he just gets dismissed as *le raises spork* despite being an innovator with the instrument and making, in my opinion, some pretty damn good music.
>>
>>60989427
Is there anyone that likes Wooten that isn't a bass player?
So fucking bland.
>>
>>60989378
ariel pink and mac demarco are both paving the way for the new generation of DIY vintage-sounding rock bands man. they're both helping revitalize indie rock and going to get their recognition in the years to come
>>
>>60989427
Atheist wrote all their songs around Roger Patterson's bass lines.
>>
>>60989505
Wooten is basically the Malmsteen of the bass world. He has some good stuff, but a lot of it is admired more for its technical ability rather than actually being "good music" per se.
>>
>>60984008
The reason why you have that idea is the stereotype of the rock band dynamic. The singer's little brother wants to join the band, and the group needs a bassist. The guitarist then teaches this kid how to play root notes. And because the guitarist is playing power chords on a Les Paul with a shit ton of overdrive, and the kid's instinctively playing the root notes over the throb of the bass drum, the bass guitar is inaudible.

In jazz, classical, and the fringe genres (funk, technical death metal, etc.), the bassist is held to a higher standard. These bands know that a good bassist that's fucking audible in the mix can take songs in interesting new directions.

Not a bassist, but it's unfair how any musician besides a guitarist, drummer, or singer gets ignored unless they have crazy stage presence.
>>
>>60989505
pretty much what >>60989594
said.

i'm not a huge fan of his music but holy shit that man is talented
>>
>>60989621
>i'm not a huge fan of his music but holy shit that man is talented

This bigtime!
>>
>>60989576
haha what? seriously?
>>
>>60989427
Here's an objective truth: if you're the bassist it means that you're objectively the worst guitarist in the band.

Bassists also don't get nearly as much pussy as the guitarist does. Hell even drummers get more pussy than bassists most of the time.

Face it: if you're the bassist you're pretty much "that guy". That guy who implored to get into the band. That guy who never gets invited to the parties. That guy who never gets his phone calls answered.

And not to say that most of the time people can't even hear you playing. For the most part the bass sound is just background noise.
>>
>>60989647
Seriously.

They would let him write the bass lines to the whole song then the guitarists would work their riffs around them.
>>
>>60989603
The hard rock dynamic, back in the 70s a good bassist was essential. Even now they are, but we don't have many of those which is why a lot of rock nowadays sucks.
>>
>>60989675
plz go back 2 /gg/ also fuck you for making me reply to baitshit
>>
>>60989256
>ripping through lines at top speed
top kek
what are you 12?
>>
Is this whole thread two people samefagging?
>>
>>60989675
Go to gigs and listen to what happens when the bass drops out of the mix.
>>
File: 8de.png (757 KB, 1198x1200) Image search: [Google]
8de.png
757 KB, 1198x1200
>>60989777
>>
>>60989603
It depends on the kind of band. Black Sabbath and Judas Priest on their early albums had a more sparse sound that allowed the rhythm section to stand out more (this is also true of Blue Oyster Cult), then later they start doing walls of sound that would drown out the bass.
>>
>>60989767
It's actually me samefagging.
>>
>>60989741
What is so hard to understand about that? Bassists playing so fast the guitarists can't figure out what to do.
>>
+49 163 6336136
>>
>>60989427
>>60989603
Why don't you idiots read through the thread before posting?
>>
>>60989675
>Here's an objective truth: if you're the bassist it means that you're objectively the worst guitarist in the band.
ok but who gives a shit? bass and guitar may be similar instruments but the playing styles and function of them are completely 100% different.

As a bassist, your musical competence should be measured by how good you are at bass, not how good you are at guitar. that's common sense.

>everything else you just said
lol i didn't realize i was arguing with a troll. are we talking about the technical abilities of bassists? or are you projecting your dislike of a bassist you know by baselessly slinging shit at bassists in general?
>>
>>60989830
should we call that?
>>
>>60989810
thx for letting me now
>>
>>60984008
Brian Wilson tho
>>
>>60989826
The way you said it was pretty cringy is all. Yeah it happens but it's an exception to the rule.
Also, this just reminded me of another thing I absolutely hate about about bassists. They're so fucking insecure about being a bassist they'll try doing shit like this for some sort of ego issues. "Hey everyone look what I can do durr."... Wasting everyone's fucking time instead of working on the music. If bassists are gonna get so insecure about their instrument they should play something else. I mean sure I could sit there and start playing crazy as fuck and say: "hey everyone, why can't you keep up?" but I don't because it's not conducive to song writing and is just a plain stupid thing to do which gets on everyone's nerves.
>>
>>60989802
See >>60989733

That was in the 70s when the rhythm section ruled and bands did generally have a sparser sound than what came in the 80s and later.
>>
File: n3wqrdLPTs1rxnjl9o1_400.gif (1 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
n3wqrdLPTs1rxnjl9o1_400.gif
1 MB, 360x203
This is what passes as music 'discussion' on this board, ay lmao.
>>
>>60989983
Kek.
Why is it at band practice I'm always the one waiting for the guitarist and drummer to stop noodling?
>>
>>60990166
this is more true imo. I'm a guitarist and nothing pisses me off more than when a guitarist won't shut the fuck up after everybody else has clearly stopped playing
>>
>>60990191
fucking hell so true; "Hey guys i can play eruption now!"
>>
>>60990166
You're only referring to two of your band mates. How many bands have you played in?
>>
>>60990191
I mean noodling is fine when you're warming up or when you've been at writing for 2 hours, but when the goal is to do a complete run through the setlist then noodling needs to stop.
>>
>>60990162
Just look at the catalog. This thread is much more relevant to music discussion than the vast majority of "music discussion" here.
Should we be discussing the same meme albums endlessly instead?
>>
>>60990237
you're only referring to 5 or 6 or your bandmates. shit, you could have played in hundreds of bands with hundreds of bass players, and that still wouldn't even come close to being a sample that's large enough to accurately represent the majority of the population of bass players. i can't believe you're basing every argument that you've made in this thread off of the experiences that you've had with a couple bass players.

my god you're simpleminded
>>
>>60990239
the worst is when my guitar teacher used to noodle around in the middle of a lesson trying to impress me, like dude I'm not paying you act like a faggot
>>
>>60990239
You'd hate the typical RHCP show then because Flea and whoever the guitarist was at the time (Hillel, John, Josh Klinghoffer, w/e) spend 40% of the show noodling on their fretboards.
>>
>>60990237
This is my sixth or seventh overall, I've lost track. Noodling is an annoyance with guitarists, and debilitating with drummers. I'm not saying everyone does it, but in my experience it's not always the bassist.
>>
>>60990237
>Hey you can't use the argument from anecdote, only I can do that!
>>
>>60990313
What the fuck are you talking about? That's the point I was trying to make to the other anon retard. You're confused.
>>
>>60990319
That I don't mind so much, it's really only during practice. When studio bands like that jam out or just fuck around it's usually pretty cool.

>>60990318
Yeah my first guitar teacher was like that too, but he'd have me play chords and he'd do lead over them. Guy encouraged me to write songs, and hilariously (given the context of this thread) to play bass.

I've been doing both though :^)
>>
>>60990319
Extended jam sessions have always been a big thing with RHCP both live and in the studio. Dave Navarro was a little surprised at how much time they spent jamming compared with the bands he'd been in before.
>>
>>60989983
God help you if you would have ended up with someone like Jaco Pastorius, who in his early days was infamous for playing super tough lines to get rid of people he thought couldn't cut it.
>>
>>60990237
Are you kidding? Guitarists are simply the worst at noodling around. It's virtually part of their nature.
>>
>>60988041
The intros to Give It Away and Around The World are a bastard to play. I give Flea and John props where it's due.
>>
>>60990535
>implying I can't cut it
>>
>>60990583
>The intros to Give It Away and Around The World are a bastard to play. I give Flea and John props where it's due

Especially when they had to play them every night.
>>
>>60990628
>>60990583
I gotta say, none of RHCP's various guitarists over the years other than John have been able to nail the GIA intro. They just can't get the groove and tone right.
>>
>>60990583
i've got the around the world intro down. pretty pleased with myself desu
>>
>>60987935
John Entwistle. The guy was a mad scientist.
>>
>>60988086
>Gene Simmons was pretty good in the 70s

Think Detroit Rock City.
>>
The thing with actually good bass players is that they're more often then not genuinely bored playing idiomatic rock basslines and they're out there in rnb, jazz, Latin, etc type projects. Because of this, you usually have to pay good bassists real money to play in your shit or mid tier indie rock bands.
>>
>>60990974
>The thing with actually good bass players is that they're more often then not genuinely bored playing idiomatic rock basslines and they're out there in rnb, jazz, Latin, etc type projects

Witness case: Flea is a huge jazz fan since childhood
>>
>>60991074
>>60990974
Sure; rock usually can't touch jazz for technical complexity. It's supposed to be centered around the basic 4:4 beat.
>>
>>60990974
pretty much this.
>>
"I've always been a jazz drummer who just happened to dabble in rock. I only got labeled a rock drummer because you critics called me that."

-- Ginger Baker
>>
i like trolling bassists but this thread is cringe worthy
>>
File: jj.jpg (15 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
jj.jpg
15 KB, 480x360
>Bassists
>Shit musicians
OK
>>
>>60991286
Same with Charlie Watts.
>>
>>60991339
Musicians are cringey as a rule. All artists are cringey is you want to get general about it.

But why?

Narcissism folks. Pure self-obsession is the root of it all.
>>
>>60991356
That is the official ISHYGDDT face of bass
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 200x200
Look at all this bait being gobbled up...
>>
>>60984703
atleast put some effort into that bait
>>
>Plebs don't understand what the lower pitches can add to the band
top kek, if you think being able to play more strings == better musician then you're just retarded
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hweqMd5gDJw
>>
File: maxresdefault[2].jpg (138 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[2].jpg
138 KB, 1920x1080
>>60987840
careful with that bait eugene
>>
File: chris.jpg (8 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
chris.jpg
8 KB, 275x183
No mention of chris squire yet, dissapointing
>>
File: nm0505738.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
nm0505738.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
How come bassists are either total condescending pieces of shit tryhards, or the nicest dude in the band? I swear, there's no middle ground.

Pic related is easily one of the nicest and most friendly dudes in the industry.
>>
>>60994919

levin is pretty good, but he has declared himself a stickplayer, so i dont know if he's relevant to the thread
>>
>>60994959

True, but he's mostly known for his bass work.
>>
>>60987935
What's peoples deal with Flea? Actually curious. He's always seemed revered for no reason.

Also Paul McCartney's bass playing is legitimately a leading factor in why the Beatles are a good band
>>
>JPJ
>>
>>60994865
Which is funny because so many players these days imitate his split channel setup.
>>
because their bassist.
8/10 bassist are failed guitarists. that is a proven fact.
>>
>>60995124
I'm a failed bassist and play guitar reasonably well.
Check mate?
>>
>>60995286
>reasonably well.
also I said 8/10.
no, checkmate son.
>>
>>60984008

Because you're a shit musician or your favorite/most listened bands are really shitty at writing anything for more than just one instrument, which is the case for most rock bands.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLeXaxlSbc8
plenty of bassists are good
here's one of the best
>>
>Geddy Lee
>Roger Waters
>Paul McCartney
>>
>>60995521
not sure if serious
>>
>>60995757
he is great anon
>>
>>60989675
>Face it: if you're the bassist you're pretty much "that guy". That guy who implored to get into the band. That guy who never gets invited to the parties. That guy who never gets his phone calls answered.
that's the keyboardist, not me.
Me, one of the guitarists and the singer founded the band
>>
>>60995792
*cringe*
>>
>Entwistle
>Roger Waters
>Flea
>Paul McCartney
>Geddy Lee
>Walter Becker
>JPJ

i shig, ya dig
>>
>>60995963
>i can't acknowledge technical prowess because i dislike the style he plays in
>>
>>60990974
>who is Steve Harris
>who is Billy Sheehan
>who is David Ellefson
>who is Alex Webster

>who is Joey DeMaio
oh wait, he's a fucking guitarist playing bass
>>
>>60987236
>singing takes a lot of effort
>most singers just have a nice voice
>>
>ctrl + f "squire"
>1 result

Better than no results I guess.
>>
>>60984008
nice bait
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGrbD_hlfus
>all these big shot guitar players
I'm sure all of you are the best musicians on the planet
>>
>>60995521
>playing guitar notes in bass
>playing chords
yeah sure, such a great bassist. Fuck off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxND8gMn5Co
>>
>>60996216
Those are some phat riffs
>>
BASS PLAYERS R DA MOST IMPORTANT MEMBERS OF ANY BAND U IDIOT! DIS THREAD SHOULD NOT EXIST!
>>
>>60996252
u wot m8
as a bassist I disagree, bass solo acts are unlistenable borefests
>>
Note to self

Fire the bassist ASAP
>>
>>60996241
yeah he is very entertaining, and he plays a mean fretless too.
>>
>ctrl+f
>no Squarepusher

/mu/ plz
>>
>bassists
>shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy2cBpbQ5Bo
>>
when did you guys realize the bass is the most important instrument in the band and the backbone of all good music?
>>
File: 1347395597264.gif (350 KB, 215x194) Image search: [Google]
1347395597264.gif
350 KB, 215x194
>>60996968

ya bro like what would a drop be without the bass man. all bangers are bout DAT BASS
>>
Bassist forget it's not about being complicated, it's about keeping tempo and rhythm for the other players.
>>
>>60997021
i'm talking about every genre retard. lucy in the sky with diamonds is shit without the bassline.
>>
I know, it's true, OP. Graduated to keyboards years ago and look down upon bass shits every time I still see one.
>>
>>60997195
nice edge
what if I told you I graduated from keyboards to bass and guitar? fag
>>
>>60984008
>Why are bassists such shit musicians?

>Mick Karn
>Shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6G_hugwG0E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzt7dF5jwhs
>>
>>60995998
>>who is Joey DeMaio
>oh wait, he's a fucking guitarist playing bass
you might want to take that back, anon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNnsMwGgVg0
>>
>>60987692
>omar is better then any guitarist alive right now
I can vouch for this.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX6sX3AF1ks
Thoughts? I think his points are accurate.
As a bass player myself, I'd really like to NOT suck at bass. It's an important instrument to the band, so I practice daily to get better.
>>
>>60984008
i'm pretty sure every bassist plays guitar as well though..
>>
>>60986159
>he recorded "back in the USSR" by himself
>>
File: Scott-Fernandez-main-620x387.jpg (56 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Scott-Fernandez-main-620x387.jpg
56 KB, 620x387
itt: OP got keked by a bass player and needs to vent
>>
>>60999064
>cliff burton
>great bass player
>not a guitarist playing bass
top kek
>>
I'm a bass player, how do I prove to people I actually know my shit? I never need to have my part shown to me and I've been studying music theory since I was in middle school. wtf /mu/
>>
>>60984008
>>69999999
Just looking where it was
>>
>>61000370
Kek. At least do it right.
>>60999999
>>
>>60999154
I don't think that counts as a bass anymore, that's more like a Warr guitar.
>>
File: 1409711483375.gif (3 MB, 400x262) Image search: [Google]
1409711483375.gif
3 MB, 400x262
I could list off a fuckton of incredible musicians who happen to play bass, but it really wouldn't be worth it, because there are good examples of talented musicians who play every instrument, and making all encompassing statements is a waste of time
>>
>>60984120
>out of key

bruh its cause if you play chords in a low register they get all muddy and fucked but if you play them up higher they sound nice and pretty.

fuck you fuck fuck fuck you fuck
>>
>>60984748
SAVAGE
>>
>>60984493
lou barlow/lemmy pls leave
>>
>>60996238
Funny enough, whenever i watch Hellhammer's drum vids on youtube i always listen to see where Necrobutcher is at.
>>
>>61001942
Eat shit and die. That was my very first bass.
>>
>>61002031
>4003 owner for 13 years
only a joke, anon, rics are the best for three-string chords
>>
File: BillG.jpg (84 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
BillG.jpg
84 KB, 500x375
There aren't really any great bands that don't have a great bass player. A talented bassist is the difference between a good band and a great band.
>>
>>60984008
>Why are bassists such shit musicians?

>239 replies

>guaranteed replies .jpg
>>
>>61002722
Fuck you too,
>>
File: 6887121.jpg (13 KB, 250x235) Image search: [Google]
6887121.jpg
13 KB, 250x235
>>
>>60999268
Cliff was a classically trained pianist who then moved to bass faget
>>
>>60995035
I'm surprised Paul hasn't been mentioned before your post.
>>
It depends on the music. Most hair/cockrock doesn't use bass for anything but timekeeping and I don't think Cliff Williams or Nikki Sixx have ever been commended for their technical skill. On the other hand, 60s-70s bands like Zeppelin, Sabbath, and The Who placed much more importance on the rhythm section than the generation of bands that came up after 1973.
>>
>>60990970
Yes, in fact Gene's playing style was a lot like Paul McCartney on the classic Kiss albums.
>>
File: 1415875534612s.jpg (11 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1415875534612s.jpg
11 KB, 250x250
Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

This thread …
>>
>>60987617
>more strings must mean it's harder to play lol
Thread replies: 249
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.