[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /mu/ liek RHCP?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: 889d.jpg (67 KB, 614x354) Image search: [Google]
889d.jpg
67 KB, 614x354
Does /mu/ liek RHCP?
>>
Niandra Lades is better than anything RHCP ever did.
>>
SOO DIVIIIIIIIINE
HELL OF AN ELEVATOR
>>
>>60968648
/mu/ is split on them.

I absolutely love three of their albums: Mother's Milk, BSSM, and By the Way. However, they could have easily shortened almost every album they put out, too much filler.

They're all pretty chill guys and talented musicians (some people hate Kiedis of course). John Frusciante is GOAT

Fun fact: Father John Misty loves them
>>
>>60968742
Isn't JF the guy who claims the spirits inspire him to write music? Fucking pretentious autist...
>>
>>60968648
First 3 albums:
Parts of it are downright fantastic while others are just silly. Cool, but gets old fast.

Mother's Milk:
Dank, but Kiedis is annoying. Still really dank though.

BSSM:
Some cool stuff, some not so cool stuff. Too long.

Post BSSM:
O shit nigger what are you doing
>>
>>60968815
This is correct, but By the Way is fantastic. Go relisten to it!
>>
>>60968833
Okay I will in a bit. If this thread is still up I'll report back.
>>
Californication was one of the first albums prolly a lot of people on /mu/ heard when they first became aware of music.
>>
>>60968849
Good deal. If you aren't feeling the first two tracks, start at "Dosed" and continue on from there.
>>
>>60968648
Honestly, no. They're mediocre.
>>
It manages to be both buttrock and cockrock
>>
>>60968815
why do people have this opinion. i've heard it from several people. always worded the same way though. my main issue is why californication is excluded. how can anyone hate that album.
>>
>>60968814
John tries so, so hard to be taken as a serious composer when he should just accept that history will remember him as a guy who danced around on a stage with a sock on his...
>>
overrated but dope.
>>
>>60968974
...foot?
>>
>>60968971
>my main issue is why californication is excluded. how can anyone hate that album.
Like I said, that was the first album a lot of us can remember hearing (I was 11 at the time).
>>
>>60968974
...head?
>>
BSSM is a great album, they should've died down and go into unfruitful solo careers a decade ago.
>>
>>60968971
>how can anyone hate that album

Xgau: "New Age fuck fiends (Scar Tissue, Purple Stain) **"
>>
>>60968974
I thought they already stopped doing that by the time he joined?

I thought he'd always be remembered as the guy who wanked on stage with RHCP and screamed in a bathrobe while being addicted to heroin.
>>
>>60969101
This was Navarro-era, so...
>>
>>60968742
>Fun fact: Father John Misty loves them
Source?
>>
File: 62585178.jpg (99 KB, 500x321) Image search: [Google]
62585178.jpg
99 KB, 500x321
>>60969101
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Cc_A3N21k

1994. You could tell he was having pretty serious issues at this time because he looks like a fucking skeleton and he's trembling slightly.
>>
>>60968648
No
>>
>>60969291
>>60969291
Pitchfork's Over/Under with him
(sorry not sorry)
>>
>>60969301
Yeah that was what I was referring to. Really disturbing but a fantastic little documentary. Essential viewing.
>>
File: 522a74b8e691b25f4848b82c_736.jpg (64 KB, 600x418) Image search: [Google]
522a74b8e691b25f4848b82c_736.jpg
64 KB, 600x418
>>60969191
Woodstock '99 Flea didn't even wear a sock.
>>
>>60969301
As Anthony said, "Whenever I feel that a hotel room and $2000 worth of smack would do me real good, I just look at my dog and realize that he's never seen me when I'm high."
>>
>>60969191
I saw a video of Give It Away from that show, although they had still pants on at that point. You could tell that Dave just wasn't into it, because he had no feel to his playing whatsoever. It was just...meh. They said in the biography that he had no chemistry with them and dragged down their live shows.
>>
>>60969573
Dave has never had chemistry with anyone.

Fuck that guy.
>>
>>60969573
>>60969588
I didn't even think his studio work on OHM had any feel to it. The lack of chemistry is really noticeable on that album compared to the ones with John and Hillel.
>>
>>60969573
It's pretty hard to perform well when the audience is heckling you at every show and yelling Bring back John! Bring back John!
>>
>>60969401
The entire video of them at Woodstock 99 is on Youtube. John wasn't that good there because he was still recovering from drugs and also a bit rusty with his playing. He also didn't take his shirt off onstage for most of the Californication tour or even wore short sleeves because his body was all covered with scars and totally destroyed.
>>
>>60968833
By The Way was probably the gentlest album they'd put out up to that point since it's all ballads and has no funk except on the title track and one other song. It was almost a John solo effort more than anything since he wrote the largest part of the material himself (Flea was butthurt at the lack of funk and his largely being excluded from the creative process).

In fact John was the guy who always urged them to expand their horizons beyond funk. All of the funk songs they've recorded with him he just copies the same chord progressions that Hillel used without adding any ideas of his own.
>>
>>60968648
Proto-nu metal
>>
>>60968648
Boring, not worth listening to. However they also aren't bad to justify actively disliking them. Basically they might as well not exist.
>>
>>60968684
this
>>
File: stadium_arcadium.jpg (53 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
stadium_arcadium.jpg
53 KB, 500x500
Yes. Also, how come everyone dismisses and/or ignores pic related? Really quality album imho, sure it's got filler but there are also a ton of standout tracks like Wet Sand, Torture Me, Dani California, Snow, and Hey. Do you guys not like these songs or what?
>>
>>60969334
>(sorry not sorry
Just makes me like FJM even more
>>
>>60971598
IMO that album just feels kinda stale in comparison to their earlier stuff. Not horrible though.
>>
No, but john's solo stuff if fucking amazing.
Also flea is a pretty good musician
>>
As a bassist I can appreciate Flea and they definitely have some tracks I'll put on a playlist but I wont actively listen to their albums.
>>
RHCP are pretty fucking great. They do have some "filler" songs, but when they hit, they scratch pretty much every itch for me.
>>
Personally I love them but I understand that since they're popular I lose my status as a special snowflake
>>
>>60971882
>I lose my status as a special snowflake
So what's the point of liking a band then? If everyone else likes them.
>>
Fuck Kiedis, he's an honest to god talentless hack.
>>
alright normie band

grinds my gears that normies fawn over literally everyone in that band BUT john frusciante. how the fuck did that happen?
>>
>>60968648
When did Will Farrell join the chili peppers?!
>>
>>60968648
The single most overrated band in history.
>>
>>60972013
this
>>
>>60968648
>pic
Someone tell Dave Growl to put his shirt back on

>>60968684
what a fucking awful album. fucking heroin shit

BSSM is all you need from RHCP

>>60969755
Yikes.

>>60972448
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.