[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is this an old jeff mangum demo tape?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 8
File: beauty.jpg (95 KB, 600x449) Image search: [Google]
beauty.jpg
95 KB, 600x449
I found an ipod that the last tenant left behind in my apartment, I decided to look through it the other day, pretty normal indie rock stuff for the most part, then I notice "Milk (Neutral Milk Hotel)" which I thought was kinda weird, so I listened and googled and I think this might be an old Jeff Mangum demo that isn't on the internet yet? It seems to be this tape: http://www.discogs.com/Milk-Beauty/release/6488833 but it says there that it hasn't circulated online. I haven't heard it before, the first song is Rubby Bulbs which there are other versions of online, and it sounds like the same song, and it sounds like Jeff Mangum. There's a couple half finished songs on here and then some weird tape loop/musique concrete type stuff. I did some more googling and some guy named Alfred Hybrid posted to the Elephant 6 messageboard years ago that he found this tape and made MP3s of it but that Merge told him not to put them online and he actually listened to them. I'm not sure how this ipod person got them, but I don't care about sharing them, so... here you go.

https://mega.nz/#F!cBwz2QRK!ZyY1Fn0qzKswGq1o9lu_nw
>>
Don't download it, it's a virus. I have to buy a new computer now. Thanks op.
>>
>>60963684
thx for the new kid cudi
>>
Thanks Alfred
>>
holy fuck if this is a trick I'm falling for it
>>
Hey guys, I think this is actually legit. I have all of NMH's demos and these songs are definitely Jeff and are not copies from the demos. Are there any big NMH fanatics here who can confirm that these aren't random bootleg tracks?
shit I'm going all out fanboy here
>>
I will bump this fucking thread until someone can confirm
>>
boasting in epic bread
>>
downloading now. I know my NMH bootlegs, so let's see how this stacks up
>>
>>60964712
marry me anon
>>
First track sounds like a shitty bedroom cover of Rubby Bulbs desu
>>
I want to believe as much as everyone else, but what if this guy just knew someone whose voice sounded like Jeff's and recorded some random lo-fi bullshit?
also, how did this album get onto some random fag's ipod without leaking onto the internet? Surely if someone was dedicated enough to record the original cassette they would've known about Jeff's huge internet following.
>>
>>60964794
sorry, i'm proposing to my gf in a few months

>>60964853
it's not Jeff
>>
>>60964947
are you absolutely fucking sure?
(about the voice, not marrying me, it's okay)
>>
>muh jeff magnum circlejerk
Dude has to be one of the most overrated musicians of all time, and his band is one of the most overrated bands of all time, and that Aeroplane album is probably the most overrated album of all time period.
>>
>wanting to listen to shitty bedroom recordings by artists who later went on to be good
did any of you fucks listen to montage of heck? it was terrible, because it was bottom of the barrel shit. this is the same type of shit. it is not a "holy grail", it's a piece of shit that's so bad that the guy from discogs
"was asked by Elephant 6 not to share the recordings"
because they're bad obviously
>>
>>60964804
this shitty demo sounds like a shitty demo, it's fake
>>
>>60965009
it's a real good copy, but he always puts his voice in his mixes higher up. This reverbed to death, with distortion which sounds lo-fi yet still far too crisp to be 1990 tape deck
>>
>>60964853
Don't you remembery the glory days of those first few years of MP3s? Soulseek, Audiogalaxy and Kazaa. Everyone and their mother was jumping on the train and you'd find the strangest shit randomly. I find it very easy to believe that Fucked Up Hairy Anuses is on someone's HDD out there. It's not wholly unbelivable that someone ripped a random demo they had through Realplayer.

The real amusing part is a random /mu/tant or similar in 2015 would pass it over for being <VBR/320/FLAC.
>>
>>60965193
why would someone make a forgery of a neutral milk hotel demo though? that's the most autistic thing ever.
>>
>>60965296
>the OP of this 4chan thread couldn't possibly be autistic enough to stage an elaborate hoax with no payoff
do you know what website this is bud?
>>
>>60965296
people fake hyped up musician's lost materials all the time. Death Grips, the infamous Radiohead "Ketchup in the Fridge" incident...it's a 4chan thing
>>
That's disappointing, this was really going to make my whole week for a second there
>>
>>60965547
The radiohead thing wasn't fake, it was just some old 90s guy who never got famous and sounded just like Thom Yorke.
>>
>>60963684
Maybe I'm just a dumbass but I think this is actually probably real. But if it's fake it's gotta be some viral promotion to promote a band or something. No one would do something this elaborate unless they intended to capitalize on it somehow. Not sure who it would be though.
>>
>>60963684
i changed my mind, this is real
>>
I fucking hate neo-/mu/
This thread should have hundreds of replies
>>
>>60963684
So wait, is this the legit Milk - Beauty demo tape? Because that is a pretty big deal.
>>
>>60968964
it seems like it to me, it's the same track listing and the tracks are all the length they're supposed to be on discogs. it's definitely not the version of Milk - Beauty with Engine on it that's already online.
>>
>>60969535
Milk - beauty and Neutral Milk Hotel - Beauty are two different tapes. Milk is Jeff's old pseudonym when he was solo. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
>>
>>60969708
yeah i think you're right. this is the first one, milk.
>>
Listening now to investigate.
>>
>>60970046
Whatdja think?
>>
>>60970833
Sorry, got stoned with a friend and was distracted by this thread >>656877422
I'll listen to it later but probably after this thread is kill.
>>
>>60963684
this sounds legit desu senpai
sweet find.
>>
>>60971494
actually now that I hear Oh Penelope I am skeptical. It's like someone tried to make an earlier sounding Oh Comely.
damn. I wish there was a way we could verify this shit
>>
it's kinda growing on me. i like "you bled quite a bit."
>>
sell it for 2 dollars
>>
>>60971584
If someone posts at the elephant 6 message board they could ask there. Although since they didn't want it released they might deny that it's real either way.
>>
File: shigsupreme.jpg (508 KB, 925x925) Image search: [Google]
shigsupreme.jpg
508 KB, 925x925
>41 replies
>20 Posters

op is samefagging pretty hard
>>
After scrubbing through the songs, the voice nor the style matches with Jeff's songwriting, aside form the lo-fi production.

It's OP's music, he wants you to tell him it's good.

The 6th and 9th tracks sound like vaporwave.
>>
>>60972635
>OP has been answering a lot of questions
>average of less than 2 replies per person

do you need a step stool or are you reaching enough already?
>>
File: nightmares.jpg (534 KB, 1400x1386) Image search: [Google]
nightmares.jpg
534 KB, 1400x1386
>>60972677
>tripfag
>>
I am monitoring this thread.
>>
>>60965019
don't worry here's your (You)
>>
>>60972704
Fuck, I didn't think you'd notice

I should have been more careful...
>>
Neutral Milk Hotel expert here
Let me give it a quick listen and see
>>
Post a timestamp OP
>>
File: 1447807769200.png (129 KB, 324x310) Image search: [Google]
1447807769200.png
129 KB, 324x310
>>60972704
>newfag
>anonfag
>>
>>60974090
I'm surprised this thread isn't getting that much activity
Even a few years ago, we had 2 threads at 3 in the morning on with a post a second when someone found the Unreleased Demo #2 cassette, and that was just for a higher quality
>>
File: 1449449572142.jpg (42 KB, 470x478) Image search: [Google]
1449449572142.jpg
42 KB, 470x478
>>60972963
>Neutral Milk Hotel expert here
>Neutral Milk Hotel expert
>>
>>60974136
i'm srs, I have LITERALLY every recording by them available
also op's seems real except for the production being too good
>>
idk i feel like if it was legit i would be able to tell right away, but instead i'm sat here scrutinizing it. something about the production just doesn't line up with the other NMH demos, it's sort of like these are digital recordings that have been manipulated to try and sound like they were made with an old tape recorder
>>
It this legit or what
>>
suprised this thread doesn't have like 300 replies
>>
>>60972582
yeah someone should get the major NMH spergs on this
i'll give it a listen but i don't know much about nmh

>>60974116
OP should have used a picture of ITAOTS or Jeff Mangum's face instead of a cassette that doesn't even say "neutral milk hotel"
>>
I met Jeff Mangum once. I was walking home from my college radio show, I had just broken up with my girlfriend. He walked towards me on campus, and I asked if he was he I thought he was. He smiled and trumpets played by birds appeared around us.

Anyways, he doesn't like when you try to get pictures.
>>
>>60974216
what if this was thom yorke demo tapes instead?
>>
>people actually thinking this is real

You'd think after the fake ALFOTHAD threads people would learn.
>>
not sure if legit or not but /mu/ normally would be jumping on this shit regardless
>>
wake the fuck up guys. can't believe this isn't stickied yet
>>
Is it legit or what?
>>
you guys, i'm Jeff, and i can confirmed this is real.
>>
yo this legit? old mu would have told me
>>
okay I just listened to everything is for reference and now I'm 90% sure this is bullshit. difference in production is too much.
>>
>>60974281
>>60974267
give it up OP, it was good but not good enough
>>
>>60974322
That could just be the tape quality, the voice and effects seem consistent with stuff like Bucket
>>
wake me up when they find the Cranberry Lifecycle demo
>>
where the fuck is everyone? thought you guys would b going crazy about this
>>
are you kidding, its jeff fucking magnum. I thought you guys would be create a shitstorm about this
>>
I'm no expert on pre-Everything Is Jeff Mangum but this sounds way to high-fi compared to the bootlegs I've heard.
>>
File: jeff6.jpg (108 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
jeff6.jpg
108 KB, 640x1136
>>60974355
all the endless memeing about NMH has actually made people hate them and most new people won't even listen to them. There was a thread like a month ago where a guy said his dad knew Astra's family, and actually posted a picture (pic related) of Jeff as proof. Barely anyone responded at first, although it did linger for a few days.
>>
get in here. this could be legit
>>
it just doesn't sound like legit tape saturation to me. can someone just go send it to whichever Elephant 6 guy is easiest to contact and ask them to confirm or deny?
>>
File: recording_communist_daughter.jpg (218 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
recording_communist_daughter.jpg
218 KB, 800x531
>tfw there will never be another thread like the unreleased demo one from 2 years ago
>tfw you will never get a hq recording that only 3 people have
>>
is it legit or what?
>>
in related news a new avalanches song was just played on the radio
>>
ILLLLLLLLLL BEEEE URRR MERRORRRRRRR
>>
I'm only like 30 seconds in but this guy sounds a lot more like Jordaan Mason than Jeff Mangum.
>>
>>60975058
Also the vocals seem way too clean compared to the rest of the music
>>
>>60975093
Listened to the whole thing, I'm no NMH expert but neither the instrumentals or vocals sound like early NMH to me. Not a terrible imitation, though. Sorry OP, you probably spent a lot of time on this and it's not getting as much attention as you thought
>>
>>60974322
What else is there to compare it to from this era though? Could be a different tape machine at a friend's house. 1990 wasn't exactly the Stone Age.
>>
Just a thought, the difference in style could be because it was just Jeff solo, rather than the whole band, but there is no way we could know if this is legit or not until we confirm it with the guy from discogs.
>>
one more bump before i go to sleep
>>
File: Hype.jpg (59 KB, 500x572) Image search: [Google]
Hype.jpg
59 KB, 500x572
>>60963684
THIS IS FUCKING REAL. BUMP THIS SHIT. PLEASE.
>>
>>60974494
What?
>>
The fact that the vocals are so low makes me think it's a fake, and the person is just trying to obscure the fact that he's not Jeff Mangum. Also Jeff generally made tapes like these to share with his friends and other elephant 6 peopl so I'd think he'd want them to actually hear the vocals
>>
>>60976630
If I'm not mistaken, he's talking about The Unhappy Bus. It's a demo that was previously available in 128kbps or something, and someone posted it on /mu/ in lossless quality
>>
>>60976857
Will never understand why people want FLAC of stuff recorded in some guy's bedroom on a $20 tape machine
>>
Is it possible that this is just ideas for songs by jeff?
>>
>>60976895
This, I'll never understand why people want tapes in FLAC because there's a cutoff of about 16khz on cassette anyway, so having lossless copies makes literally no difference to the quality of the sound
>>
mfw it's real
>>
>>60976838
maybe jeff didn't have lyrics yet and was embarrassed because the words were dumb? if it's real this would be one of the first things he ever recorded i think.
>>
ARE YOU RECORDING ME
>>
>>60977088

there are some tape decks out there which add the 16khz, only a few tape decks had this feature...
>>
>>60977088
There's actually a very noticeable difference. I don't think it was just the bitrate, but also that the previously available version was probably a bootleg of a bootleg of a bootleg or whatever.
>>
Forever waiting for a decent re-transfer of the NMH - Beauty tape with Engine, Bucket, etc.

My shit is all crackly like it's from a vinyl or something.
>>
Idk if this is fake it's doing a damn good job trying to be authentic
>>
>>60965019
You forgot OK Computer
>>
wtf @ the last track

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1IeQcITqVB7
>>
>>60978932
lol, what is this?
>>
>>60978746
You realize those are sourced from cassettes right? Even the master tape is probaly shit because it was most likely recorded on some cheap 4 track.
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.