[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
real talk, is indie a genre?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: hqdefault.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
real talk, is indie a genre?
>>
it's more of a general classification based around a scene, like grunge
>>
you're living on it...
>>
to plebs, yes
>>
No. It's a contraction for the word 'independent', which jut means that the artist is self-produced or owns the label that produces them. Notable 'indie' bands include Swans, Odd Future, Death Grips, and the Insane Clown Posse.
>>
>>60959948
is singer-songwriter a genre?
>>
>>60959948
Is mayonnaise a genre?
>>
>>60961814
a genre of food, yeah
>>
>>60959948
Two different perspectives, both are right which is why this discussion always ends up being an argument.

'Indie' can be short for 'indie rock' which has nothing to do with independence anymore, more to do with a particular youthful sound and style (The Strokes, Arctic Monkeys etc.)

'Indie' can also refer to independently released/produced artists or music, with is not a genre classification.

Both are correct, I'm fairly certain about that.
>>
Today indie is mostly associated with a certain musical aesthetic, so I'd say yeah it can be considered a genre.
>>
>>60962245
kek
>>
The genre, or at least what it makes most people think of, could also be described as millennial soft rock becaise it's what all the people who think they know music but are more pleb than patrician listen to on college campuses.
>>
>>60959948
I'd say so, yes.
>>
Technically no, but I mean what defines a genre? Classic Rock isn't a genre either but people refer to it as one, so does that make it a virtual genre?
>>
>>60959948
No. Literally every album that shit like NME labels as "indie rock" can actually be labelled with a far more accurate label. Usually it's something like Chamber Pop, Post-Punk, Contemporary Folk, or Midwest Emo.
>>
File: image.gif (998 KB, 245x187) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
998 KB, 245x187
>>60961814
>>
>>60963677
I have probably never witnessed anything in my life more Reddit than this post.
>>
>>60964110
reaction.gif
>>
>>60964110
It's more Tumblr than leddit
Still shameful
>>
>>60961320
>Death Grips

They were indie for some time, but they're signed with Harvest.

Odd Future is technically an indie label, but it's also an imprint of RED, which is distributed by Sony records. So, sorta indie, I guess
>>
>>60962309
This.

I'd also like to add (to the former definition) that indie rock also usually incorporates a lot of genres.
>>
what would you faggits classify Arcade Fire, Death Cab or Vampire Weekend 2bh
>>
I've talked about this with some friends, and they say indie has a "sound". They say most indie bands have a distinctive guitar work, but that's not true. There are a lot of indie rock bands that are classified in that category but don't have that Strokes's sound, and bands like The Buzzcocks do have it, bur are not considered indie.
However, during the conversations another guy said that indie is not a "sound", but is a "composition style"/attitude, and i think that is a little more valid. For example, look at this Velvet Underground song (After Hours): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fND_Y6OgsDs
it's indie made a song. Then, take a look at this (obviously Lou Reed influenced) Strokes song (Someday):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knU9gRUWCno
Then, this Deerhunter song (Agoraphobia):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oup-m8Hxx4Y
(i chose well known songs so you don't necessarily have to listen to them)

The three songs have a similar vibe ,style and attiotude, still, each one has kind of it's "own sound", and i think most of us would agree that they are as indie as you can get.
But those same artists have other albums that don't sound even similar to this, and are labelled as indie as well. For example, Deerhunter's Monomania:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYUENZQ84-E
Or their more recent song, Snakeskin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CG6jk5Q90DA

So, like Grunge or Britpop, we could say that nowadays indie isn't a classification based on the sound of certain bands, but their consumers.

Even bands like Mumford And Sons have a reason to be called indie: while they're not consumed by "the real indie crowd" (sigh), they're a band for the 15 years old "wannabes", so while they don't have indie compositions, instrumentals or attitude, they work as a gateway to the rest of the indie universe.
>>
>>60959948
I have no clue
Whoever decided to start up a campaign to label a huge amount of music based on such an ambiguous value is someone I'd like to meet and subsequently punch in the face
>>
>>60959948
indie rock is a genre that happened in the 90's after the alt rock movement. indie is just a descriptor, but indie rock is an actual subgenre that has a specific sound to it.

it's similar to psychedelia. any music can be psychedelic, but psychedelic rock is a specific type of rock with a specific sound
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.