[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spin names Liturgy's "The Ark Work" the #1 Avant
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: cover.jpg (44 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
44 KB, 600x600
Even Carl Linnaeus, the Swedish botanist who singlehandedly invented the modern system of sorting and classifying the wildness of nature, would have had a hard time neatly filing away >Liturgy’s latest collection of poly-metal mutilations, The Ark Work. Guitar-slinging provocateur Hunter Hunt-Hendrix returned after four years of absence with a baffling collection of instrumentals that hopscotch between his disparate (and seemingly irreconcilable) list of influences: Bone Thugs-n-Harmony, Burzum, Nietszche, Fluxus. There’s no way it should work. Far simpler attempts at alchemy — looking at you, late-’90s rap-metal — never did. Somehow it does.

>Whether leaning into the noxious rap beats of songs like “Vitriol” or teasing searing beams of tremolo-picked guitar work on “Follow” and “Follow II,” Hunt-Hendrix blurs boundaries between worlds that you wouldn’t have previously thought even shared a border. Its disorienting effects are as ecstatic as its disjunct component parts are jarring, so you’ll likely suffer a bit to reach its highest point. But any mountain climber or psilocybin-eater will let you know, the physical toll of the thrill is worth the high. One of history’s truisms is that knowing a thing’s true name will grant you power over it, so good luck trying to harness the blinding energy of The Ark Work — so many have already failed.

http://www.spin.com/2015/12/the-20-best-avant-albums-of-2015/

And no I'm not HHH I'm just his biggest fan.
>>
>>60944569
Fucking embarrassing list
>>
kekekekekekek
>>
>>60944591
I doubt you've heard half of them.
>>
Why is this album not sporkcore yet? It certainly takes the cake, more than Mr. Bungle and Cardiacs.
>>
>>60944569
Where is sophie?
>>
>>60944705
Because it's an actually academic and reasoned experimental album, not randum shit like the cardiacs.
>>
>>60944569
>this list of old fashioned junk
>"avant"
>>
>>60944750

get out, Hunter
>>
File: 53317115.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
53317115.png
490 KB, 449x401
>>60944750
>an actually academic and reasoned experimental album
>>
File: wew lad.jpg (575 KB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
wew lad.jpg
575 KB, 3072x2304
>>60944569
wew lad
>>
>>60944804
>>60944805
>people who don't get the ark work
It's pretty obvious influences if you have at all decent taste
>>
>>60944844
>implying there's anything to "get"

It's a retarded attempt at aping far superior experimental metal bands
>>
>>60944844
>obvious influences
>avant-garde
>>
>>60944844

Your ego is showing, Hunter
>>
>>60944569
HEY
>>
>>60944873
>>60944887
Read this for more information:
https://rateyourmusic.com/collection/boldfaure/rating67101241
>>60944885
>Cage and Varese aren't avantgarde because they have influences
great logic m8
>>
>>60944569
you literally are HHH though
>>
>THIS TAKES INSPO FROM FAMOUS COMPOSERS WHO DID STUFF WITH ORCHESTRAS OR SOMETHING
>THEREFORE IT'S AUTOMATICALLY GREAT AND NOT A GROTESQUE CLUSTERFUCK OF JARRING TONES AND CONTRADICTORY MUSICAL IDEAS
>>
>>60944935
>obvious
>OBVIOUS
>O B V I O U S

and yeah, they're only slightly avant
>>
>>60945013
Nice strawman where'd you get it?
>>
>>60944569
Hey fagget, stop trying to meme Noontide

Unlike TAW it doesn't singlehandedly motivate the creation of a musical equivalent of America's Funniest Home Videos.
>>
>>60945029
I got it from all the fags whose main argument to defend this album is exactly that.
>>
>>60945155
Try reading the review then.
>>
>>60945213
from the two paragraphs you quoted it looks like the author just picked a random weird-sounding album and used it as an excuse to write as many flowery comparisons and metaphors and analogies and parables as possible.
>>
>>60945286
I said the review.
AKA >>60944935
>>
>>60945299
Oh this one

already read it

and it falls right under my strawman
>>
>>60945366
Maybe if you actually read the review you would see that it doesn't at all focus upon one aspect of music.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.