[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright. Let's settle this once and for all. Grunge power
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 14
File: aic dirt.jpg (12 KB, 150x149) Image search: [Google]
aic dirt.jpg
12 KB, 150x149
Alright. Let's settle this once and for all.
Grunge power rankings
Alice in Chains>Soundgarden>Pearl Jam>Stone Temple Pilots>Nirvana
>>
I think albums is better

Nevermind (it really is the best)>Dirt>Superunknown>Alice in Chains> Badmotorfinger>Core=Down on The Upside>Ten>In Utero
>>
Mary in Shackles > Enlightenment > Noiseorchard > Brick Chapel Navigators > Diamond Jelly
>>
>>60930801
>STP
>Seattle sound
>>
>>60930958
Look at me I'm patrician: the post
>>
>>60931406
They aren't even grunge
>>
sonic youth?
>>
>>60930883
Wtf you forgot so many

Plus nvm is my least favorite nirvana album
>>
>>60930801
Personally
>Nirvana>Alice in Chains>Soundgarden>Stone Temple Pilots>Pearl Jam
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 251x251
>>60930801
Every fucking grunge thread starts and ends the same way. Somebody posts either Superunknown, Ten, Dirt or In Utero, then follows it up with "This is the best grunge album". Let's just say he mentions Superunknown like OP did. Then somebody responds with either "No, [Ten, Dirt or In Utero] is better than Superunknown", OR "No, [other good album by band, in this case Badmotorfinger] is better". Then someone else comes in the thread and says "I think [Alice In Chains, Nirvana or Pearl Jam] is a better band than Soundgarden" without any argument.

So, after that initial shit is over with, some egghead walks in and mentions Stone Temple Pilots and proceeds to say "OH STP IS THE BEST GRUNGE BAND" when they're nowhere near as good as them (maybe better at songwriting than Pearl Jam, but musically Pearl Jam is far better). THEN another egghead walks in and mentions Melvins, even though they're a stoner metal band and NOT a grunge band. Just because they gave Kurt his success doesn't make them grunge.

After all of that's said and done, another egghead tries to be contrarian and mentions some other grunge band that's underrated but has no business being compared with the 4 previously mentioned bands, such as Hole, Tad, or Green River. Then some other egghead mentions a band that sounds absolutely nothing like grunge and is completely unrelated to the subject at hand, such as Tool or Green Day, and it pretty much just turns into an alt-rock thread rather than a grunge thread. But that's understandable, because there's barely any grunge albums out there. Nirvana's frontman is dead and they now live on in the Foo Fighters, who fucking blow, Alice In Chains no longer has Layne and are now making mediocre stoner rock with a vocalist who sorta sounds like Layne but doesn't have the same charm or vocal ability as him, Soundgarden are a shell of their former selves, and Pearl Jam just makes shitty radio rock now.

Why do we even have these fucking threads?
>>
does smashing pumpkins count? if so

Smashing Pumpkins>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Alice in Chains>>>>TotD>STP>Pearl Jam>dog shit>Nirvana
>>
>>60931715
Is this pasta? Agreed either way
>>
>>60931715
The Melvins hopped on the grunge wagon for a while, but jumped off before it got over saturated with shit
>>
>>60931798
only Gish
>>
>>60931798
THIS
>>
grunge is so overrated
>>
>>60930801
ew, you're disgusting

Nirvana > Soundgarden > Pearl Jam >>> Alice in Chains >>> Stone Temple Pilots

other bands that are way better than AiC and STP: Mudhoney, Malfunkshun, Love Battery, Babes in Toyland, Skin Yard, Seaweed

btw, the best Nirvana album is Incesticide, the best Soundgarden album is Down On the Upside, and the best Pearl Jam album is Vs.
>>
Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > Nirvana > Pearl Jam

Alice in Chains, I like all their albums Jerry cantrell is a great composer and Layne is a fantastic singer

Soundgarden, Chris Cornell is the best singer of the grunge Era in my opinion. Did not like their first 2 albums that much and that's 2 they're below AiC

Nirvana, Dont't like Bleach, I like a few songs on Nevermind and In Utero so overall they're ok.Just Ok.

Pearl Jam, I Really dislike Eddie Vedder's voice.I won't deny that he is a very influential singer but I just can't listen to his goddamm voice.
>>
Alice in Chains > Soundgarden > Nirvana > Pearl Jam

While other bands jumped the grunge bandwagon, Alice in Chains lived and breathed it, two members even died with it.

Soundgarden were there from the very start, along with Green River and the Melvin's, but stuck through and truly earned the success they received.

Nirvana's discography is absolutely solid, from Incesticide to their MTV Unplugged, Kurt Cobain's ability to cram such wide array of every influence he could into his own music is exactly what separates Grunge from the rest of alt rock and what mad him the poster boy of 90s pop.

Pearl Jam is good, but Mudhoney, Screaming Trees, Mad Season, Temple of The Dog an the on list goes on are much better, though Ament and Gossard have the same claim to fame as anyone from Soundgarden does
>>
>>Nirvana better tHan PJ
KEK
>>
none of those bands have any similarities beyond their geographic locations

the fact that you guys don't know that grunge wasn't actually years after the fact is hilarious.

also, nirvana is the best out of those bands. everything else is pretty lame.

/thread
>>
reminder grunge is a meme used by record labels to sell these mostly unrelated bands
>>
nirvana is lame as fuck and ff is worse
>>
>>60930801
Pearl Jam shouldn't even be on the list
>>
>>60931798
Of course, corgan farts >Nirvana
>>
>>60933577
>none of those bands have any similarities beyond their geographic locations
well that and, you know, they were the bands in the underground punk scene who also had an obsession with 70s hard rock, they were all influenced by Neil Young, they all had the same lyrical themes, they had the same look, they were all into heavy distortion, they were pretty much all inspired by the same earlier Northwest punk bands like Wipers and Poison Idea, the STP singer was just imitating Eddie Vedder, and the Soundgarden drummer later joined Pearl Jam...
>>
File: Soundgarden.jpg (55 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
Soundgarden.jpg
55 KB, 500x333
Soundgarden
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Stone Temple Pilots
Nirvana

They're all great bands and I love them all, but this is the only way I can rank them. Nirvana was definitely the weakest. Soundgarden and Alice In Chains are at the top of the pack, but Soundgarden was able to keep it up longer and was doing their thing long before any of the other bands even formed. In their original run they also had the good sense to know when to hang up the gloves.

On top of that they definitely had the best drummer and arguably the best singer.
>>
Melvins > Nirvana > Soundgarden > Alice in Chains > Pearl Jam > Stone Temple Pilots
>>
How are these bands even similar? Distorted guitars? Flannel? Awful vocals and shitty lyrics? It's all just fucking buttrock, the term "grunge" is only applied so you losers can have a circle jerk over which band had the most authentically shitty life experiences.
>>
>>60933577
>sharing members and playing in the same bands
>playing and attending each others shows
>Jack Endino's producing
>Writing/recording and releasing music together
>plenty of overdoses and deaths
>not all rehashed punk flavored 70s rock
>>
>>60933747
Legit
>>
File: 132.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
132.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>60931798
>Smashing Pumpkins
>better than Soundgarden or Alice In Chains
>>
just gonna leave this here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAMz5VlaUic
(it's the band of Frances Bean Cobain's husband, which makes the whole thing feel really weird)
>>
Cornell=best voice
Layne= best Singer
Vedder= most influential
>>
>>60933846
Vedder just copied Lanegan
>>
>>60933802
It's like the worst parts of Nirvana, Hole and 30 Seconds to Mars all thrown in together.
>>
Oasis
>>
>>60933852
you're dumb
>>
>>60933846
actually, Cobain had the best voice and Cornell was the best singer
>>
>>60933513
>While other bands jumped the grunge bandwagon, Alice in Chains lived and breathed it, two members even died with it.
Don't even start with this shit. I'm as big an AIC fan as anyone in this thread and they started out trying to appeal to the glam scene in 1987. Look up some footage of them playing QotR.
>>
>>60930801
Wrong.
>>
File: 724.png (570 KB, 1102x1100) Image search: [Google]
724.png
570 KB, 1102x1100
>>60933892
>Cobain had the best voice
>>
>>60930801

its odd.

in early 90's no one could beat pearl jam. but they made 20 years of bad music and now no one cares.

also, no one should ever put STP ahead of nirvana, because they are derivative from nirvana.

also, dont forget screaming trees. blind melon probably isn't grunge, but they should not be forgotten
>>
File: 2106360.jpg (40 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
2106360.jpg
40 KB, 450x600
>>60931715
its the process , not the destination
>>
>>60933967
Nothing to catch because it's not bait, it's actually true.
>inb4 "He can't even hit the right notes!!!"
>>
>>60933892
I agree that Cobain had the best voice, but Staley was undoubtedly the best singer. Cornell was a close second, though.
>>
>>60932786
>Soundgarden album is Down On the Upside

Badmotorfinger>DOTU>superunknown
>>
Vedder in 1989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn3XHdqyaxw
>>
>>60933747
melvins is pre-grunge. they were originators, but are not grunge.

they are sludge
>>
>>60933967
"Best" as in "most pleasant." Kurt's singing ability was nowhere near as good as Staley's or Cornell's, but his voice was definitely the easiest to listen to out of the bunch.
>>
>>60934022
>melvins is pre-grunge
Melvins started around the same time as all the other original grunge bands.

And Lizzy is total fucking grunge:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en4qK0_rxYs
>>
File: Scott Weiland.jpg (75 KB, 750x400) Image search: [Google]
Scott Weiland.jpg
75 KB, 750x400
>>60933973
>also, no one should ever put STP ahead of nirvana, because they are derivative from nirvana.
>>
i wish i could just live the years 92-95 over and over again
>>
fuck all that polished testosterone radio shit - jesus lizard, poster children, cows, dinosaur jr, meat puppets, buttholes, primus and sonic youth had a 1000% more going on than these record exec cash in cows.
>>
>>60934049
its true, when they came out everyone said they were copycats and said they would have no staying power.

they were wrong about the 2nd.

mind you core is one of my all time favs
>>
>>60934024
according who?

Cobain was mediocre and his live shows sucks
>>
>>60934072
>grunge
>polished testosterone radio shit

Grunge was a reaction against exactly that stuff though. From a purely lyrical standpoint, it was actually a pretty effeminate genre.
>>
>>60934075
Everyone said they were copycats of alice in chains and Pearl jam, kid.
>>
>>60933914
What was Malfunkshun and Mother Love Bone
Who was Andrew Wood
Does Temple of the Dog or Would? ring a bell?
How does being glam invalidate being grunge
QotR is also a song about transvestites, quite the 'alternative' theme...

>>60934022
They are Sludge, but Houdini bruh
see >>60932349

>>60934072
>testosterone shit
>most aggressive post ITT
>noise rock
>buttholes not sellouts
>>
>>60930801
/mu/ should be ashamed. Mark Lanegan and the Screaming Trees are the obvs choice
>>
>>60931517
no, it's not
>>
>>60934075
Fair enough, but tons of people didn't see them as copycats. It's hard to say they just jumped on board the fame train of Nevermind or Ten because Core had already been written and ready to record by the time those albums came out. That is, STP already had their style down before grunge was the new big money market. Not to mention the fact that they don't really sound like any of the other bands at all.
>>
>>60930801
1. Nirvana
2. Pearl Jam
3. Alice in Chains
4. Soundgarden
5. STP
>>
>>60934072
It's past your bedtime, Steve Albini.
>>
>>60934176
Its more the polished production than the songwriting
>>
>>60931433
Not grunge but still amazing
>>
>>60934146
You make a good point, but a lot of people like to try to pass off the fact that AIC was trying to ride the waning end of the glam wave for a while there before they reevaluated their style. To say they "never jumped any bandwagon" isn't exactly true because hitching to a bandwagon is kind of how they started their band.
>>
>>60933914
in 1987
in 1987
in 1987

facelift does not have nothing glam
>>
>>60930801
switch stp with pj and you got yourself a list my man
>>
>>60934296
Yeah, that's exactly what I said.
>>
>>60934176
The point of contention during that early phase was the commandeering of the "image".
I mean this "sound" had been finding an audience since the wipers, huskers, and the Pixies. Being influences by those bands wasn't the sin. In later records, accentuating the "tortured guitar and vox" thing a 'la cobain isn't even that big of a deal imo.
I think it was when they changed their image, merch, and music vids to fit the scene is what alienated the initial fanbases and pissed people off. As always, this is pop, the music is just one facet of it.
>>
>>60934189
good call anon
>>
The Glam rock already was dead in 1990
>>
>>60934371
>I think it was when they changed their image, merch, and music vids to fit the scene is what alienated the initial fanbases and pissed people off.
Those people can suck it as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>tfw when no one can even argue that Soundagrden didn't have the best drummer
>>
>>60934146
For the record.
Mother Love Bone sucked and was a shitty 70's throwback. No punk influence at all, just an embryonic glam metal band that never developed it's chops.
Temple of the Dog is like 70% ballads and 20% Reach Down's SrV tribute solo. Besides the personnel, how he fuck is that grunge or proto-grunge.
>Pushin Forward Back's alright
>>
>>60934642
Four Walled World is incredible.
>>
Even though they aren't my favorite of the five, I have to give Alice In Chains credit for something none of the other bands did regularly if at all, and that's harmonies. Staley and Cantrell harmonized beautifully together.
>>
do L7 or Babes in Toyland have any place in this discussion? Cause imo they're better then all these other shitty bands.
>>
>>60933995
>Staley was undoubtedly the best singer

Never listened to Soundgarden confirmed
>>
>>60934573
Grohl>Cameron>Kinney>any PJ drummer (except Cameron)
>>
shoegaze>grunge

fight me irl
>>
>>60935319
no need

u already know that ur a fgt rofl
>>
>>60935319
if you're assexual maybe
>>
File: al.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
al.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>60935298
Grohl>Cameron
>>
File: 1448726465375.jpg (30 KB, 360x370) Image search: [Google]
1448726465375.jpg
30 KB, 360x370
>>60935298
>Grohl>Cameron
>>
>>60935463
>>60935519
It's like comparing Bonham and Peart. Sure Peart can play faster or whatever but Bonham is just better. Same with Grohl.
>>
>>60935591
Grohl is not better than Cameron in any aspect of drumming, though.
>>
>>60935633
DG hits hard as fuck and has a distinctive sound. It's what makes him so good.
>>
>>60935717
He does indeed have a distinctive sound and he is (rightfully) known as an excellent drummer. Still not on Cameron's level though.

>DG hits hard as fuck
So?
>>
>>60930801
>Let's settle this
>Thinking anything will be settled in this thread
>>
>>60930801
Alice In Chains>Nirvana (British)>Nirvana (Filthy Yanks)>Soundgarden>Chas 'N' Dave>deafness>Pearl Jam
>>
All the PJ hate on this board always surprises me.
Ten an VS are legitimately great albums.
>>
>>60935825
Vs is the definitive proof they suck. A testament to their lack of alternative roots
>>
>>60935825
They are. Vitalogy and No Code are even better.
>>
if grunge wasn't a genre why did they call it "the seattle sound"?

it's like nu metal but the other way around, both are bullshit terms
>>
>>60935952
They're all bullshit terms but we keep them around because it's a name. Punk rock bands used to hate the term punk, too.
>>
File: scaruffi constanza.jpg (53 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
scaruffi constanza.jpg
53 KB, 400x300
>>60932786
>a compilation of random b-sides recorded in like 10 different studios at different years is a band's best "album"
>>
>>60932786
Ten > VS

>>60936385
You can call it whatever you like, but that's just semantics. It was their best release, most enjoyable to listen to.
>>
>>60930801
>Nirvana last

Epic contrarian opinion, friend.
>>
Let's be honest though.

my parents having sex > farts in my face > goat sounds > women talking > grunge music
>>
File: Failure+-+Fantastic+Planet.jpg (241 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Failure+-+Fantastic+Planet.jpg
241 KB, 500x500
>>60930801
Where do they rank here?
>>
>>60936470
Even though I like a lot of Failure's music better than a lot of Nirvana's:

Soundgarden
Alice In Chains
Pearl Jam
Stone Temple Pilots
Nirvana
Failure
>>
>>60936463
You like the sound of your parents fucking better than goat sounds?
>>
>>60935825
It isn't surprising to me, but it is stupid.
>>
Soundgarden > Nirvana = AiC > Failure >>>>>>>>> STP > Pearl Jam
>>
mad season>>>>>STP
prove me wrong; you cannot
>>
Alice in Chains=Melvins= Soundgarden=Nirvana>Pearl Jam>Stone Temple Pilots
>>
any genre > grunge
>>
>>60930801
>Alice In Chains>Soundgarden>Pearl Jam>Stone Temple Pilots>>>>>>>>>>>>nervana :DDD
>>
File: 1444445996930.jpg (128 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1444445996930.jpg
128 KB, 1000x1000
>>60937224
>>60936463
>>60936453
>>60935272
>>60934168
>>
Bunp
>>
is there any grunge that's actually good? i mean like objectively
>>
>>60936453
They have a very small discography compared to the rest of those bands and one of those albums isn't even very good. It's completely reasonable to have Nirvana as your least favorite.
>>
Why are you guys forgetting the actual best grunge band which is Screaming Trees?
Also pic related best grunge related album
>>
>>60930801
AIC>STP>PJ>MLB>Soundgarden>Nirvana
>>
nirvana>pearl jam>silver chair>alice in chains
>>
nickelback > all
>>
>>60936453
That's not contrarian. What's contrarian is saying shit like Babes In Toyland, L7, and 64 Spiders were better than Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, etc.

At least if you included Screaming Trees or The Afghan Whigs among your favorites you'd have some taste.
>>
nirvana>alice in chains>pearl jam>soundgarden>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...
...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>stone temple pilots

[spoiler]I just don't like chris cornell's voice[/spoiler]
>>
Comparing these bands gets really subjective. Personally
Soundgarden>Nirvana>Alice in Chains>Pearl Jam>Stone Temple Pilots.
But it doesnt really matter cause someones going to either call this shit or agree.
>>
>>60937915
I don't agree with the exact order of yours but I respect it anyway. I love all those bands so it doesn't matter to me much how they're ranked. In fact, move Nirvana to the bottom end and my personal ranking is exactly the same.
>>
File: 1418647367319.jpg (11 KB, 168x211) Image search: [Google]
1418647367319.jpg
11 KB, 168x211
>>60934114
> Cobain was mediocre and his live shows sucks
> and his live shows sucks

one of the best things about nirvana was their live shows.
>>
>>60933802
lol that riff is you know your right
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.