[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why didn't New Bermuda receive the same praise as Sunbather?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 5909991.jpg (33 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
5909991.jpg
33 KB, 300x300
Why didn't New Bermuda receive the same praise as Sunbather?
>>
inb4 someone says "no pink meme cover"

also cause the album after a breakout one is always tough to make
>>
Because Kerry McCoy said "faggot" on social media.

Also because it's not a very good record. Maybe should've started with that.
>>
>>60929975
>if its not on /mu/ it didnt happen

it received unanimous praise from critics and had a higher chart position on billboard than sunbather.
>>
its the cover honestly
not memeable at all
>>
>>60930363

It looks like semen on his face, though.
>>
>>60930057
this

thanks a lot Marcel
>>
>>60929975
It wasn't as novel
>>
because it's nothing special, just like sunbather
>>
>>60929975
Less groundbreaking, fewer gushing reviews, less hype behind it after people got burned out on Sunbather, etc. They had their breakout moment, they caught their new fans and wowed their old ones; it was time for them to go quiet in terms of sheer exposure. Until they do something truly amazing, they'll never get the same praise they did for bringing blackgaze into the public eye with Sunbather.
>>
It's a great, mature follow up to Sunbather, both sonically and thematically. Also, it was critically praised so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

But it's probably just harder for people to get into. I hold Sunbather closer because of what was going on in my life when it did and how I related to it then, but I do think New Bermuda is the better album.
>>
Personally, I think Sunbather is a lot easier to get into because it's a lot "prettier". New Bermuda definitely has more aggression to the mixing of his voice and more dissonant/minor chords and riffs, more black-metal-y I guess.

I didn't like NB on the first listen too much even though I loved Sunbather on the first listen, but I've listened to NB a couple more times since and it's really, really growing on me. I think you just need to appreciate it's a different album. It's not Sunbather 2.
>>
>>60931598
this, pretty much.
also just went to a gig of them, they played the whole NB and honestly i feel like the album is a little monotone and repetitive, at least live, idk
>>
because Fantano didn't give it a good score
>>
Personally I think New Bermuda is way better than Sunbather.

For me
Sunbather 6/10
New Bermuda 8/10
>>
>>60929975
Because it's not as good.
Sunbather had its own recognizable esthetic, regardless of what you thought of the music. New Bermuda sounds like another melodic black metal album. Reminds me of Cradle of Filth/Dimmu Borgir desu.
>>
>>60929975
New Bermuda was much harsher and a more traditional black metal album. It's still good but it sounds like every other black metal album. The reason people were excited by sunbather is that it brought a sound to black metal that hadn't been done before. New Bermuda is arguably a better paced and put together album but it's not nearly as exciting as sunbather was because it's not nearly as unique.
>>
>>60929975
Because its not nearly as good
>>
>>60929975
because the people giving sun bat her praise never listened to "blackmetal" before. Now they are over it.
>>
>>60932253
I'm the opposite
>>
I find them both equally enjoyable to listen to digitally, but Sunbather is just in general easier to listen to. When you're relaxing, New Bermuda is far more aggressive and dissonant, whereas Sunbather feels like heavy Shoegaze, not a hybrid of Black Metal. As well, Sunbather is just far more superior on a good record player than New Bermuda, both are great but New Bermuda just doesn't feel as emotional and delicate.
That said, New Bermuda sounds better when you're in the mood for black metal themes.
>>
It's that goddamn ugly ass piece of shit art. God, I can't FUCKING BELIEVE they ok'd THAT. Like are you fucking serious, shitmonger? THAT'S your album art? LMAO. L-M-F-A-O

The fuck outta here.
>>
FUCKING FADE OUT ON SONGS
why?
WHY THE FUCK?!
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.