[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rec me intricate and challenging albums I'm basically into
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 9
Rec me intricate and challenging albums

I'm basically into scarufficore bullshit but I want to try finding music from somewhere other than there just since I feel like doing that limits me.

pic related only posted because it is a challenging album (or at the least it is an unconventional album in a lot of ways), I'm not trying to imply anything about it or whatever, it's not the point of this thread so please don't get hung up on this. If you don't think it's good or challenging I really don't care.
>>
probably you should move into mozart
>>
File: autechre Draft.jpg (256 KB, 1101x1079) Image search: [Google]
autechre Draft.jpg
256 KB, 1101x1079
Enjoy dis
>>
The Crazy People - Bedlam
>>
File: untitled4.png (4 KB, 333x53) Image search: [Google]
untitled4.png
4 KB, 333x53
>>60926578
>>
File: R-1638160-1305217793.jpeg.jpg (25 KB, 300x277) Image search: [Google]
R-1638160-1305217793.jpeg.jpg
25 KB, 300x277
>>60926449
Give this a couple listens all the way through, if you enjoy what beefheart was trying to do it's similar, although not musically
>>
File: 71u7F3loSiL._SL1088_.jpg (137 KB, 1088x1086) Image search: [Google]
71u7F3loSiL._SL1088_.jpg
137 KB, 1088x1086
>>60926449
>>
>>60926562
>le Mozart is underrated
you force that meme anon

also Mozart is not all "intricate and challenging"
>>
File: memes.jpg (1 MB, 2108x1760) Image search: [Google]
memes.jpg
1 MB, 2108x1760
>>60926847
>>
>>60926449
Hey OP, check out Starsailor and Not Available. I know they're scruffy-core, but you may enjoy them nevertheless. I recommend checking out his list of 8.5s if you haven't already. There's a lot of rather obscure stuff in his 8.5s section, and there's tonnes of albums too. Here's a sample from a cool, challenging, non-scruffy-reviewed album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM6XTkijKzg

I highly recommend checking out obscure music blogs. I usually just search for an album I like and then go on a blog that has a free download of that album and then I check out the bloggers other posts. Sharethreads can be pretty good occasionally as well, particularly if you're not familiar with the folk musics of the world or jazz music.
>>
File: Gentle-Giant-Interview-528184.jpg (44 KB, 500x498) Image search: [Google]
Gentle-Giant-Interview-528184.jpg
44 KB, 500x498
>>
ok
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WsC4UNyXsk
>>
File: disdain.jpg (25 KB, 400x462) Image search: [Google]
disdain.jpg
25 KB, 400x462
Get in here patricians.

http://strawpoll.me/6223665
>>
thank you all for these replies, I will check all of these out
>>60927349
I've listened to most of Not Available, I heard it first back when I got music from youtube recs but at the time it scared the shit out of me, now it makes more sense but I'm still not totally "in" to it. I have been wanting to download it though so I'll probably do that. I'll also check out Starsailor (you're talking about the Buckley album right?).
And yeah I've been checking out both 8s and 8.5s as well, I've heard some good things from these, I just am trying not to get desensitized to unaccessible music since I feel like I'm getting to the point where that's exactly what I want to hear (and when something you've never heard before sounds exactly like something you want to hear then interest in those albums eventually fades, I feel like).

>>60926956
intricacy =/= complex musical theory
>>
>>60926449
Anything New Complexity or Field Recording
>>
>>60927349
holy shit this is awesome
>>
File: everyday.jpg (64 KB, 628x437) Image search: [Google]
everyday.jpg
64 KB, 628x437
I will rec you some of the most both challenging and rewarding albums:
Evan Parker - The Topography of the Lungs (Free Improv)
Krsysztof Penderecki - Threnody for the Victims of Hiroshima (Sonorism)
Rosoe Mitchell - Sound (Minimalist Free Jazz)
Taj-Mahal Travellers - July 15, 1972 (Free Improv, drone)
Pelt - Ayahuasca (Drone, American Primitivism)
Anthony Braxton - Saxophone Improvisations, Series F (Solo Free Improv)
Derek Bailey - Solo Guitar (Free Imrpov)
Karlheinz Stockhausen - Mikro-Phonies (Musique Concrete)
Sun Ra - Atlantis (Free Improv)
Helmet Lachenmann - Schwankungem am Rand (Musique Concrete Instrumentalle)
Luciano Berio - Visage (Tape Music)
Milton Babbitt - String Quartet 2 (Serialism)
Giacinto Scelsi - String Quartet 4 (Micro-Tonalism)
Iannis Xenakis - Orient-Occident (harsh noise ambient?)
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.