[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>all coldplay albums before and after this were shit what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: art_vivalavida.jpg (124 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
art_vivalavida.jpg
124 KB, 600x600
>all coldplay albums before and after this were shit

what happened?
>>
File: brian-eno231014a.jpg (20 KB, 685x365) Image search: [Google]
brian-eno231014a.jpg
20 KB, 685x365
>>
>>60899030
considering this one is also shit, Coldplay as usual happened
>>
>>60899037
Don't forget Jon Hopkins
>>
>>60899037
Came here to post this.
>>
>>60899037
This. Saw a lecture with him on his New York instillations where he went on a tangent about how he was trying to persuade Coldplay to let go of the ultra-glossy and perfectionist production on X&Y and to rough things up a bit. He took them to a gourmet restaurant in London and showed them the chaos and shouting and mess of the kitchen, then showed them the diners enjoying their food in calm and quiet, i.e. that such a methodology did not hurt the comfort of the consumers' experience. He implied he struggled to beat any sense into their heads as they are so set on pop superstardom and hanging out with Jay Z and his pals.

Eno is a fucking genius.
>>
>>60899055
It's funny how in recent interviews he's been playing down his involvement with them and emphasising that the sort of stuff they're doing is not what he aims to do artistically. He knows they've gone to trash but is too polite to say it explicitly.

>>60899030
tbqh the first 4 all had their merits, this and AROBTTH especially, but since then it's turned into Chris Martin's "I probably suffer from serious depression and have confessed to being addicted to sleeping pills, but I'm in almost total denial" solo outfit
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0xfWCDLoCU

Genuinely GOAT pop, what a unique style. If it wasn't for their poptimist shittiness they could make a great Cure-ish goth-rock album.
>>
>>60899149
so basically eno gave up on them
>>
>hating parachutes and a rush of blood

Smdh
>>
>>60899030
>all coldplay albums were shit before

I'm gunna have to stop you there.
>>
>>60899149
didn't he kick martin out of the studio once?
>>
>>60899304
can't blame him looking at what they churned out next and the messy, ear-splitting production on it all
if you were considering working with somebody and it turned out that stuff was their natural inclination, would you do it?
>>
>>60899403
That was media nonsense, he and Martin mutually agreed that the latter should take several weeks off from going to the studio to let the other three band members explore their ideas alone, given how he usually leads the pack on everything

He also made Chris Martin tape his fingers together so he couldn't make complicated melodic piano lines and had to write songs using the absolute basics i.e. single notes/chords.
>>
desu the one thing I absolutely cannot forgive them for is that they've joined the trend of bands not making b-sides anymore. Their b-sides were a lot of their best or most interesting songs.
>>
>>60899030
the first two are great tho, also https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL07C19BAAEFD87032 this
>>
>>60899037
He produced it's follow up as well family
>>
>tfw you will never hear the scrapped sessions they recorded between VLV and MX in a cathedral with mostly acoustic instruments and the cathedral organ
>tfw they mainly scrapped them because they wanted to do something more uptempo and less sparse, which gave us... MX

apparently Charlie Brown and UFO were the only songs that made it out of that period, in new forms
>>
>>60899483
not really, Coldplay have said they just put his name in the production credits because they supposedly still take his advice to heart and it informs the songs, not that it's evident anywhere
>>
>>60899457
Agreed, they made 4 great pop albums (i like x&y personally but fair enough to those who don't) but their b-sides show genuine introspective songwriting and experimental compositions. Jonny Buckland especially shines through on a lot of them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoqAi8OJ9T0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSZEA1TVnL8
>>
>>60899526
I Ran Away is such a beautiful song. I have no qualms saying that it matches Radiohead at their peak
>>
http://youtu.be/FSZEA1TVnL8

If you don't think this is a 10/10 song than you might be retarded
>>
>>60899149
>>60899037

What Eno albums should I start off with?

I heard stuff I liked in trainspotting and I listened to apollo atmospheres and soundtracks a while ago. I also know he's done collaborations with a lot of amazing artists
>>
>>60899526
>Jonny Buckland especially shines through on a lot of them.
I agree, but the guitarist from Ash plays guitar on 'I Ran Away'

more like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm_hXMLZd-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmIgnrAt_rA

>that offbeat at the start of the chorus on 'Crest Of Waves'
Fucking hell, what happened?
>>
>>60899576
Music for Airports 1 and Apollo, no question
>>
>>60899594
>the guitarist from Ash plays guitar on 'I Ran Away'
Actually that's the other b-side to The Scientist, 1.36. I Ran Away is classic Buckland
>>
>>60899494
Damn, I didn't know this.
>>
>>60899576
Here Come The Warm Jets and Taking Tiger Mountain m8
>>
>>60899564
lOok AT me guys i SaID "well" instead of 4 in the count in im so RanDum!!!
>>
>>60899673
go back to shitposting cardiacs
>>
>>60899673
He says "will" you tard. The name of the drummer Will Champion
>>
>>60899686
I don't know what a cardiac is in this context.
>>
>>60899576
personally a few I'd recommend are

>Here Come The Warm Jets
>Discreet Music
>No Pussyfooting (w/ Fripp)
>Fourth World, Vol. 1: Possible Musics (w/ Hassell)
>Ambient 3: Day of Radiance (w/ Laraaji)
>Everything That Happens Will Happen Today (w/ Byrne)
>High Life (w/ Hyde)

But to be honest, you're not getting the full picture when you listen to his solo albums. Where he really shines is as a producer, so really you at least need to listen to these records he's produced:

>Remain In Light by Talking Heads
>The Joshua Tree by U2
>Achtung Baby by U2 (really pulled a feat on the scale of VLV making a U2 album this patrician)
>1. Outside by David Bowie
>Prospekt's March by Coldplay (if you've listened to VLV already)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Once_in_a_Lifetime_(Talking_Heads_song)

Read the 'Production' segment. He's working on another level to most producers, let alone producers of rock music.
>>
>>60899564
>that sparse instrumentation
fucking hell, listening to this after hearing their new album the other day really makes you realise how overblown their sound has become, it's claustrophobic compared to the way the chorus of this opens up
>>
>>60899597
>>60899665
>>60899717

Thank you for the help, friends

Also, I had no idea he produced Remain in Light, that's awesome.
>>
>>60899717
you forgot Fear Of Music by Talking Heads, it's one of the top 500 albums of all time tbqh
>>
>>60899576
>no one mentions Another Green World
It's my favorite album ever, Fripp's guitar playing on songs like St. Elmo's Fire is just magnificent and the synth tones and compositions achieve a perfect atmosphere.
>>
>>60899030
This and Parachutes are wonderful
>>
>tfw you've disappointed Brian Eno

how does it feel, chris?
>>
>>60899030
Eno collaborations ratings:
Roxy Music: 7
Bowie: 8
Microsoft sound: 4
Talking Heads: 8
U2: 7
Slowdive (Souvlaki): 10
Toto: 2
Coldplay: 7
>>
>>60901004
>Slowdive (Souvlaki): 10
Personally, I think Sing is one of the weakest tracks on Souvlaki.
>>
Daylight,Amsterdam and Yes are their most underrated songs and which they got far more love and attention from Coldplay fans.

X&Y, the entire album is the best sadcomfy/depressed-core you can put it on and have the entire range of feels.
>>
>>60901634
>that part in Yes when it sounds like it's about to end then goes into this crazy-beautiful coda

hnnnnnng
>>
is it true that Coldplay begged Eno to work them?
>>
>>60901654
>calling a hidden track a "coda"
It's called Chinese Sleep Chant and is its own song, and also was the product of Eno making the band try out group hypnosis and then go into the studio.
>>
>>60901720
No. Eno played xylophone on the middle eight of 'Low' from X&Y as a session musician and when he heard the finished album he wrote a letter to them saying he felt they had talent but could improve their approach, feeling they were focusing too much on getting bigger rather than better. Which it turns out was spot-on.
>>
coldplay has two good songs
yellow and vida la vida.

stop pretending they're good
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aFiQy4sYTA
FIRST QUESTION
>"Do you think this is your best record?"
>uhhh.. errrrm... ehhh... well it's probably our most accomplished record, as musicians"

JUST
>>
>>60901975
meme ?
>>
File: FEEL.png (5 KB, 234x216) Image search: [Google]
FEEL.png
5 KB, 234x216
>>60899030
Fuck, this album is so great.

I met my gf while digging this a a few years back... We were/are both regular runners, so she invited me to join her on one of her routes.

I ran with her on a little road in a cornfield while listening to glass of water (it was actually raining too)
>>
>>60899030
Is Lost! the best coldplay song?
>>
Viva la Vida was just really inconsistent IMO. It has some good shit but some tracks sound like Coldplay were trying to be experimental without knowing what experimental meant. A Rush of Blood to the Head will always be their best and the only Coldplay album I would still listen to from start to finish
>>
>>60901004
>Microsoft sound: 4

too low desu
>>
File: FedoraFredag.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
FedoraFredag.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>>60902185

> Coldplay were trying to be experimental without knowing what experimental meant
>>
>>60899030
>Put out Viva La Vida
>Critical and Commercial Success
>Next album is a water down,Toddler Kid A for teens
God Coldplay, you could have had all the money and the hearts of music fans
>>
File: sensible chuckle.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
sensible chuckle.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>>60902322
nice meme anon you really did a good job with that post
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.