[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did a band that was essentially noise rock ever get so popular?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
How did a band that was essentially noise rock ever get so popular? Was Kurt really just that talented as a songwriter?
>>
Yes, everybody on this board hates him for some reason though. In Utero showed real progress.
>>
>>60895415
how nirvana is noise rock?
>>
>>60895415
Grunge really wasn't noise rock, and it's mainly because it was alternative, at the time pop music was extremely stagnant and as generic as Nirvana sounds now there was really nothing else quite like it at the time
>>
>>60895415
Nirvana wasn't noise rock, they were more classic heavy metal IMO

they actually had a REALLY heavy sound
>>
>>60895428
Endless Nameless and at least half the songs on In Utero are 100% noise rock, even the rest of Nevermind had a lot of noise rock elements that might not seem that way because of how over-produced the album was.
>>
>>60895475

>100%

Noisepop
>>
>>60895510
>Nirvana were more pop than punk
lol
>>
>noise
Itt:
Hipsters that like Nirvana dont want to feel like plebs on /mu/ so they pretend its noise pop
>>
>>60895603
>>60895538
WHAT THE FUCK IS NOISE POP. THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE.
>>
>>60895603
Noise rock =/= harsh noise

Also they're more post-hardcore if anything.
>>
>>60895639
>>60895650
I have no idea what that is. They're grunge, alt rock with heavier sound.
>>
>>60895650
They sound nothing like punk, hc, or post hc.
>>
>>60895415
>Noise rock
Nevermind was what blew up, not Nirvana, and Nevermind was a pure pop record.
>>
>>60895538

Have you actually listened to an album by The Nirvanas?

Bleach is a punk album for the most part.

Nevermind has 1 punk track on it, Territorial Pissings.

In Utero has 1 punk track on it, Tourettes.
>>
>shitposting has gotten this bad
>>
>>60895708
>pure pop

Yeah i sometimes mistake it for Britney Spears
>>
>>60895720
>Stay Away isn't punk
>>
>>60895747
>all pop is bubblegum pop
This board is hella retarded lmnoa
>>
>>60895706
sound nothing like punk, hc, or post hc.
>Bleach
>>
>>60895691
>They're grunge, alt rock with heavier sound.
grunge was a scene
alternative rock is a made up genre

Nirvana were a punk rock band that fused elements noise rock with melodic pop

>>60895720
>Bleach is a punk album for the most part.
nope, Bleach is garage rock with a sludge metal influence courtesy of the Melvins
>>
>>60895757

Thank you for the correction anon.

I will now perform hari kari. Wish I would've had more sex.
>>
>>60895425
dude hes so fucking mainstream
>>
Nirvana DEFINITELY had a lot of noise rock elements and full blown noise rock songs, most people seem to only really acknowledge the poppy grunge songs that got them popular though. It's a real piss off when so many people will tell you "no they were pop & grunge lol".
I didn't even realize they had those noise rock leanings until recently when I gave Insecticide and In Utero a good listen after finding them for 5 bucks each. My girlfriend won't even let me play them in the car with her anymore because of how abrasive so much of those albums are, and previously she had told me she enjoyed Nirvana.
They were definitely more than just grunge and the fact that Steve Albini was involved really shows, too.
>>
>People think Nirvana is noise rock

Nirvana got popular from Nevermind which has no noise rock whatsoever
>>
>>60895858
>b-but muh hidden track that wasn't even on the cassette or vinyl releases
>>
>>60895765
anything that isn't art music or traditional music is popular music.

Notice how all nirvana's music is neatly packaged in albums for consumption? yeah, its popular music. Also the fact that it's written by untrained plebs, for untrained plebs.
>>
>>60895883
I think you quoted the wrong post. I don't disagree with you.
>>
>>60895858
>>60895881
>not realising that some of the solos are literal bursts of noise rock
plebs
>>
>>60895883
careful now, you tip that fedora any harder and your head might fall off
>>
File: patrician habitat.jpg (58 KB, 566x422) Image search: [Google]
patrician habitat.jpg
58 KB, 566x422
>2015
>still unironically throwing around the pleb/patrician dichotomy introduced by a literal peasant
shiggy diggy doo
>>
>>60895415
I'm not disagreeing with you I just think it's also interesting how Sonic Youth, who literally was a noise rock band, managed to get popular outside those circles. The average pleb has probably at least heard of SY and they've literary made albums that are avant-garde and no-wave.
>>
>>60895415

because he liked pop sensibilities too.
and combined it with more abrasive heavier
aspects.

but. dont call it grunge thats the dumb journalist name. even though nirvana got popular
i dont think people can write them off as false.
>>
incesticide best nirvana release
>>
>>60895998
Literally the most contrarian opinion you can have about the band

It's In Utero, or if you're a shitter it's Nevermind. Bleach is contrarian but not as much as acting like a leftovers compilation is their best songs.
>>
>>60895774
>nope, Bleach is garage rock with a sludge metal influence courtesy of the Melvins
You do realise Sludge Metal, and the Melvins stuff they were copying especially, is just as firmly rooted in punk as it is in metal

Like it's literally where punk and metal meet that's the point you fuckwit
>>
From what my dad said
during that time nothing but shit was played on the radio until nirvana came along. and it's not like he had the time or money to hang around record stores all day looking for new shit.
>>
>>60896092
hence why I said it was garage rock with a sludge metal influence and not sludge metal with a garage rock influence

the song structures of Nirvana are much more reminiscent of 70's garage rock than any hardcore punk
>>
>>60896103
yeah kinda hard to understand what music was like pre-youtube
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.