[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why didn't they succeed? why didn't they get famous /mu/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: big starjpg.jpg (135 KB, 1080x733) Image search: [Google]
big starjpg.jpg
135 KB, 1080x733
why didn't they succeed? why didn't they get famous /mu/?
>>
>>60894688
They weren't hard and edgy like Led Zep
>>
>>60894709
But what about it being good music?
>>
>>60894726
Oh yeah they were fucking fantastic - I just genuinely believe that's the reason they didn't get big. They were a pop band that played pop music and weren't under any other pretense
>>
>>60894769
But weren't the Beatles the same? Was it some shit from their record company that caused this?
>>
>>60894688
Their record company failed at distributing and promoting their records.
>>
>>60894688
"Marketing"
the only reason anyone succeeds or fails in popular music
>>
>>60894849
But the Beatles were part of a scene which they fronted (to begin with) then had their "le wacky psych/faux experimental" selling point
>>
>>60895537
>faux experimental
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow_Never_Knows
>>
because

ok kids

hold on to your diapers

here it comes

they weren't anything special
>>
>>60896386
Actually never understood what was so special about that song.
>>
>>60896446
they directly influenced one of the biggest names in alternative rock.
>>
>>60896556
wow, you read that on the internet, son? so what, they were probably 'influenced' by manfred mann and herb alpert growing up as well, but i don't see the tijuana brass getting any lavish box sets and weepy documentaries

big star, while a decent band, is the absolute nadir of music collector fetishism. i bet chilton hated every minute of his revisionist 'cult' status

>influence
death to this meme
>>
>>60896625
velvet underground are influential
>>
>>60894688
Watched a documentary about them recently, mostly sounds like their label had no idea what they were doing. Decent press but then no distribution. Plus Alex Chilton and Chris Bell both went crazy pretty quickly.

Also fame is pretty arbitrary anyway. Requires a lot of luck
>>
>>60896625
Even discounting the whole "influence" thing, the songs are enjoyable and well-played. But I get, your opinion is obviously correct

>>60896522
>MUH TAPE LOOPS
>>
My guess is because they had a garbage band name.
>>
>>60896625
holy shit rekt
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 371x397) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 371x397
Is it just me or did Chris look a lot like Syd Barrett
>>
>>60896625
holy autism, i couldn't care less about their apparent cult status.
>>
>>60896940
Looks like between Barrett and Nick Drake
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.