[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've been to Velvet Undeground & Nico and White Light/White
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 10
I've been to Velvet Undeground & Nico and White Light/White Heat for a couple of weeks and those albuns just sound okay for me. But I still don't get why they're so much praised.

Obviously not because it's a MIND-BLOWING experience or something like many of anons here say. But I understand that albuns like that require a little aknowledge about the music scene of that era to know how it was influential in the genre.

So could anyone explain what's its innovations and how it impacted in rock music in general?
>>
File: nico photo.jpg (49 KB, 236x1053) Image search: [Google]
nico photo.jpg
49 KB, 236x1053
>>
File: image.jpg (48 KB, 658x960) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48 KB, 658x960
modern music began with the velvet underground
>>
File: Lou Reed hersheys.jpg (91 KB, 400x601) Image search: [Google]
Lou Reed hersheys.jpg
91 KB, 400x601
>>60888493
Why?
>>
>>60888536
noisy, songs about degeneracy, the musicians weren't top-tier talent-wise
>>
File: nico hersheys.jpg (67 KB, 799x623) Image search: [Google]
nico hersheys.jpg
67 KB, 799x623
>>60888568
Thats not enough to explain their legacy as the best rockband of all times.

I believe there are much more in their music to talk about.
>>
They ARE rock music as we know it. Without that album, the Rolling Stones would probably just have fizzled out after a few years being a cover band. It's inspired a lot.

My eyes are clouded by nostalgia tho. my mom played this for me all the time.
>>
bump
>>
File: Lou-Reed-Patti-Smith-770.jpg (58 KB, 770x433) Image search: [Google]
Lou-Reed-Patti-Smith-770.jpg
58 KB, 770x433
>>
keep dumping velvet underground pics please
>>
Can't you just google it? There's probably a million reviews explaining this albums innovation and importance better than /mu/.
The short of it is that nothing sounded like this before it. It's not blues inspired rock n roll, it's not exactly psychedelic in the way other bands were, it's poppy but had sounds no pop bands really used, it eschews technical ability for dissonance and unique sounds, paving the way for punk and alternative rock. It was also extremely blunt about its taboo subject matter when most bands beat around the bush
>>60889808
>Without that album, the Rolling Stones would probably just have fizzled out after a few years being a cover ban
The Stones had long since been making great original material by the time TVU came out.
>>
File: 9876543567.gif (189 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
9876543567.gif
189 KB, 500x281
>>60892279
basically what this anon said, also, if you listen to alot of music from the 60s you will notice that the velvet underground were pretty edgy for their time, with a few exceptions like the fugs, take a few albums from the same year ('67) and compare it with them, they were edgy af singing about heroin, bdsm, drug dealers, and it wasnt just the lyrics, their sound were pretty unique too shit like european son, black angel's, all tomorrows party wasnt something that you would hear everyday in the 60s. aw fuck it ill go to sleep i dont even know what im talking about anymore
>>
>>
The striped down droning sound on their first album, especially the drumming, inspired Can to start playing rock music (I think) and paved the way for Krautrock.

Also the Stooges got the idea to start playing music because it was the first time they heard good music made by shitty musicians (which is the whole idea of punk basically). The Stooges in general inspired the Ramones to start playing, and that whole Krautrock + Punk Rock thing basically gets you into post-punk territory.

Post-Punk kind of wound up developing into a bunch of shit, shoegaze, noise rock, gothic rock, no wave, dream pop, and honestly the whole indie scene we have now has a fuckload of post-punk revival bands.

Saying that it invented modern music or w/e is pretentious, but if you listen to nearly any album on the experimental side of rock music released within the last 40 years it was probably at least indirectly influenced by it.
>>
File: 1 QbcdE7zksMH_gwX--vee4w.jpg (349 KB, 2000x1309) Image search: [Google]
1 QbcdE7zksMH_gwX--vee4w.jpg
349 KB, 2000x1309
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.