[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have a hard time getting into a lot of /mu/-core, and stuff
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2
File: zUAcXba.jpg (3 MB, 2060x3825) Image search: [Google]
zUAcXba.jpg
3 MB, 2060x3825
I have a hard time getting into a lot of /mu/-core, and stuff generally accepted as good around here.

There's some stuff I like yes, but a lot of stuff strikes me as dull and boring.

Am I just listening to it wrong? Could they just not be my thing?

Should I even care?
>>
>>60877140
just don't listen to the whole list, it will soon feel like a chore more than a pleasure. pick your favorite genres and listen to the relative flowcharts and maybe listen to some /mu/core once in a while. remember, those are supposed to be the most discussed albums, not the best
>>
>>60877140
i guess don't think of it as a rule for what you should like

it's more of a starting point for people who know absolutely nothing about music or a reference point for if one wants to expand their tastes. it's a pretty diverse list because it represents a lot of the most popular examples of various genres among /mu/tants

what kind of stuff are you into? i could probably point you in the right direction to find more stuff you're into
>>
>>60877359
Huge prog. metal fan desu.

Starting to really get into mathrock too.

And no, I haven't listened to Converge yet. Their on my to do list
>>
>>60877414
i'm not huge into prog metal myself but i imagine people talk about that in metal threads so there's probably a chart somewhere. check out rate your music - it's a pretty helpful tool for finding new artists and gives you an idea of where to start with their discography usually.

i'd also recommend you listen to indian summer, portraits of past, and hella
>>
>>60877809
Already working my way through a prog metal chart. It's how a discovered a lot of stuff on here.

Anyways, I guess I might just be putting too much weight on liking what everyone else on here likes. I just can't help but feel like I'm missing out on some really good experiences because I don't "get" it or something along those lines
>>
Don't worry about it anon, just do you
>>
Can somebody dump some flowcharts?
I don't care which genre, looking to expand my tastes
>>
>>60877850
nah, you aren't necessarily missing out on anything. i doubt anyone likes every single record on the /mu/core chart. i mean, i haven't listened to all if it myself and i'm only kind of a pleb i think :~D
>>
>>60878209
Nevermind, found the thread
>>
>>60877414
Ew, I'm s prog fan myself, but that's some shit taste
>Coheed
>Closure in Moscow
>BTBAM
>best TMV albums missing
>no Steven Wilson or Riverside
>tons of good prog metal missing
>no classics like Tull, Floyd, Crimson, Marillion or Genesis
>>
>stick to the genres you like.

>if you like an album/artist, explore their discography.

>if you like an artist/sound, look at their contemporaries and work your way backwards to what influenced them.

>don't rush through and endlessly genre-hop. you'll never be able to tell what's great about an album if you don't immerse yourself in the genre.

>enter genres naturally. it may be years before you get into a genre. you may never be interested in a genre. this is okay. it doesn't mean a genre is shit. or that you're a shitty person. it means you have a preference based on your life and experiences up until this point in time.

>the point is to become musically literate enough to be able to tell what's good, bad, and simply average. and to be able to defend this position with examples in the music, and historical context. this will allow you to discuss music with others. if you're not really interested in doing that, then you're like 96% of this board: you're here for recs based on what you like, and/or you want your taste validated by strangers. which is fine as well. it doesn't matter unless it matters to you.
>>
>>60878536
underrated post
>>
>>60878479
>implying BTBAM is bad
>implying Steven Wilson is good
AYY
>>
>>60878479
Colors is a masterpiece
>>
>>60878479
Not him, but Coheed, CiM and BTBAM are all really good.

Different strokes for different folks I guess
>>
Here's a good place to start.

Before you explore new music, listen to the discogs of everything your into.

Keep some kind of record as to how you rank them out of 10

Take all your favorite albums and loop up the major influences for those albums. Explore those artists discographies, and keep going like that.

Come here for recs often, you'll find some obscure stuff you probably wouldn't discover otherwise
>>
>>60877414
There are three good albums on that chart.
>>
>>60878536
how to /mu/ 101
>>
>>60877351
This, I've listened to all the albums on the list over time. Don't rush it. You will find some albums you absolutely love and others you can't get your ears around. Also, the thing with mu is everything you love, mu will hate, and everything you hate, mu with love. In the end your taste is shit, will always be shit. Listen to what you want anyways.
>>
>>60881528
In your opinion :^)
>>
>>60881801
This is correct OP
>>
>>60881528
>He either doesn't like The Faceless, Protest The Hero, Save Us From Archon or The Fall of Troy

Either way your a faggot, or you don;t know what "it's just not my thing" means
>>
>>60881801
probably the best advice i've heard on being a /mu/fag
>>
>>60881801
>>60882610
I guess putting too much weight into what /mu/ thinks really leads to a bad time.

I guess I don't care that much, I mean at the end of the day all that matters is I like it.

However constant shit in rec threads gets kinda annoying.

I've always felt like my current methods of exploring music was kinda shallow and unrewarding so I'm glad I made this thread regardless.
>>
i'm surprised Replica isn't in the electronic section of this chart
>>
>>60883177
Because is literally on the first row of p4k-core
>>
>>60878536
I love this
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.