[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
this is most likely my aoty, did you like it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: albumart.jpg (195 KB, 1035x1035) Image search: [Google]
albumart.jpg
195 KB, 1035x1035
this is most likely my aoty, did you like it?
>>
>>60867239
I liked it decently, but it's never gonna top crane wife imho
>>
>>60867239
literally who?
>>
>>60867239
What's your top ten?

Do you consider this album to basically function as "side 1 rock; side 2 country"?
>>
>>60867239

I don't know, I think there were a lot of good ideas, some cute songs like "The Singer Addresses His Audience" and one legitimately fantastic song with "Lake Song", but overall it seemed less ambitious than their other stuff.

What I will say, is that is is hands down the album most representative of their entire sound (save for the lack of any long tracks). If any album could have been their self titled, it would have been this one.

Florasongs might be EPOTY though.
>>
What's it similar too? What does it best out and why?
>>
>>60868375
>Florasongs might be EPOTY though.
offhand the only competition I know is metal and even then the bands usually consider them LPs even though they're less than 25 minutes

otherwise I think the only other EPs I've heard this year are aphex twin and magma which were both fine to varying degrees
>>
>>60868542

Well, each album has its own twist on the formula but The Decemberists are probably best described as an Indie-Folk band with comparable pedigree to Modest Mouse/Death Cab for Cutie who have a fascination with literature and a dedication to never make the same album twice.

But the sound never changes drastically. Think of it as the type of rock music your manic pixie girl crush would love, except not terrible when taken out of the context of crushing puss.

There is a genuine maturity to the songwriting and the band almost always seems one-hundred percent invested in each song. They're talented if a bit generic. The perfect combination for somebody's "actual guilty pleasure favorite" rock band.

Similar stuff I guess:
The Acorn
Some of Sufjan Stevens
A million bands I'm blanking on but can remember their melodies
Hazards of Love is the best example of a rock opera actually telling the entire story in the music, clearly, and on the first listen..
>>
>>60868549

I was expecting Big Grams to sweep in and kill it after 2015's banner year for rap, but something about it sounded so lackluster even to my Big Boi biased ears.

I feel like there were some major EPs I'm forgetting about though...
>>
File: 1449339129059.jpg (70 KB, 725x820) Image search: [Google]
1449339129059.jpg
70 KB, 725x820
This album is disgusting muddle if the road post picaresque trash kill urself
>>
>>60868854
Pink Floyd released an EP of their earliest material last week, and nobody noticed
Consequence of Sound - 2 days ago
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.