[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dance Gavin Dance - Instant Gratification
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Instantgratification.jpg (617 KB, 1180x1180) Image search: [Google]
Instantgratification.jpg
617 KB, 1180x1180
did it really deserve a 1?
>>
>caring about a memelord's opinion
this whole band discography deserves a 0
>>
There mediocrity and crassness is disgusting. Deserves less
>>
They're a fun band. Melonhead can fuck off.
>>
>>60814393
>fun

most pleb emotion
>>
>>60814175

Tbqh, Downtown Battle Mountain I & II aren't that bad.
>>
File: image.jpg (136 KB, 1600x1174) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
136 KB, 1600x1174
Happiness is unironically a good album
>>
>>60814447
I bet you're boring to be around.
>>
>>60814598

ehhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeehhhhhhegggggggggeheghgehgehgehhgehgeegheghehegeegegegegegh
>>
Hating on this band is just simply objectively false if you understand their impact to Post-Hardcore as a genre. Maybe I can understand Death Star being only a fan pleaser but literally every other record has merit.
If you disagree name three P-H bands with the same impact completely outside of Melodic Hardcore.
>>
>>60814528
i feel like the best complement you can give them is that some songs of theirs "aren't that bad".

I thought awkward was worth a few more listens and death of a strawberry was too.

Other than that, this album is just decent.
>>
>>60814653
my thoughts exactly
>>
File: 1436253594951.jpg (23 KB, 295x378) Image search: [Google]
1436253594951.jpg
23 KB, 295x378
>>60814689
>their impact to Post-Hardcore as a genre
sure
>>
Also, Melon is a fuck. If you watch the review he literally says he doesn't like Circa. There was no point in even uttering an opinion after that. And then he proceeds to talk about Husker Du and At the Drive In like they're really relevant to the band (TFOT being more obvious and direct, as well as Screamo). He's completely unfamilar with the gente after that point, and he showed his ass because of it. That said, the record is a 7 at best, and I'm being generous. I'd give it a 6, but I can't stop returning to it for repeat listens senpai
>>
>>60814800
>Disagrees
>Names zero bands
I'm glad you've articulated your refutation anon. You've convinced me that I am actually mistaken in the points that I've made.
>>
>>60814175
I really liked this album, I'm a pretty big fan of DGD though, so I'm a bit biased. But I do admit that I enjoyed a lot of their older albums more, like Downtown Battle Mountains I and II and Happiness
>>
>>60814800
>>60814598
what the fuck man
>>
>>60814872
>I am actually mistaken
You were never correct to begin with. instead of asking me, why don't you tell good post-hardcore bands influeced by them, and how they were influenced?
>>
DGD is my favorite band of all time so I'm a bit biased when I say that I think Instant Gratification is a 7 or 8. I really don't understand the hate. A 1 to me is an album by Blood on the Dance Floor or Brokencyde, and DGD is way out of their league. They show a lot more technical ability than most Post Hardcore bands from the past few years. I don't care what you say, but Will Swan is a great guitar player and Matt Mingus is a great drummer. I understand why people don't like Tilian'a voice, but come on, he's a decent singer. I personally like his voice because I love Circa Survive and Dreamhouse by Tides of Man is one of my favorite albums of all time. Giving it a 1 is completely unfair. The reaction to this album is like when people don't like Napoleon Dynamite because it's too quirky/awkward, when in reality it's actually not a bad film.
>>
Their R&B vocal style and unique lead guitar work by Will Swan effectively created (and is financially supported by) an entire new wave of Experimental Post-Hardcore. The Squid and the Whale, The Color Morale, Lower Definition, A Lot Like Birds, Strawberry Girls, Woe, is Me and Stolas couldn't even exist without Downtown Battle Mountain or Happiness (which was influenced itself by Amptechure, but I digress). Again, what other band has done even close to the same? Will Swan has Stolas, Sianvar, Hail the Sun, and others actually under his label keeping Fall of Troy Post-Hardcore/Experimental Rock alive.
>>
>>60814928
Refer to above
>>
>>60815066
You can make an argument for the vocal style and his melodies, but after that with thorough knowledge of the genre I don't understand how you could coherently make an argument against them.
>>
>>60815096
>unique lead guitar
not really, and the r&b vocal styles are one of the reasons of why not only DGD but also those other bands are bad. It might have created a new wave, but not a good one in reality
>>
>>60814841
Haha, yeah that whole intro is basically him saying that all the post hardcore hes listened to is from an essentials chart. then the video goes on to only mention lyrics and vocals, its like bashing early swans for lack of melody and completely ignoring anything else.
>Drive like jehu, fugazi, the list goes on
>>
>>60814841
So true. Called Anthony greens vocals "wimpy". Dude has a serious problem with the genre as a whole.
>>
>>60814175
yes
>>
>>60814175
Dance Gavin Dance and Hands Like Houses are the only decent bands on Rise Records

That album was 5/10 though
>>
>>60815301
id honestly like to hear what similar guitarists make Will Swan not unique. Thomas Erak and the guys in circa and thursday are the only ones doing anything remotely similar pre dgd. Also i don't understand how soul vocals make music bad.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.