[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can we reconcile the fact that a lot of great music has come
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1446617062713.jpg (252 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
1446617062713.jpg
252 KB, 380x380
How can we reconcile the fact that a lot of great music has come from cultural appropriation? In the last thread we disscused the difference between appropriation and appreciation. David Byrne was cited as an appreciator while Iggy Azalea was alleged to be an appropriator. I think however that these distinctions might be abritrary and subjective. Just because Byrne chooses to apprpriate African polyrythms and Azalea chooses to apropriate Black American stereotypes, dosnt make one form of appropriation neccesarilly less sinful than the other. I use sinful because i believe all this handwringing over appropriation is like religion in a lot of ways, this time culture is the sacred object. But maybe these objects are worth perserving? I don't know, what do you think?
>>
>>60800720
Literally all music made by whites that's not Western Classical or European Folk is cultural appropriation.
>>
>>60800735
Their use of polyrhythms is based on traditional African and Native American folk music.
>>
wait who did battles culturally appropriate? math rock seems white as fuck
>>
>>60800827
See >>60800777
>>
>>60800843
tfw all polyrhythmic music is now cultural appropriation. poor scruffy
>>
>>60800720
slt Tintamarre
>>
In the case of Vampire Weekend and Tune Yards it's despicable as they try to hide their mediocre songwriting skills under kitsch african tones.
>>
>>60800720
cultural appropriation doesn't exist

Brazilian sociologist Darcy Ribeiro called it "cultural anthropophagy". That means someone would eat up the other culture and spit out something new that unwillingly mixed the two cultures.

Cultural "appropriation" isn't wrong. It's only natural of us. The music in Mulan. Bossa Nova.
>>
>>60800750
-Citation needed-
>>
>>60800891
Here, I'm leaving you this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9iR_QdFh6A
>>
You have to be one bored mothafucker to keep making threads like this
>>
I think it's only natural for cultures to bleed into each other, especially now with the world and ideas so connected and readily a valuable through the Internet.

If the dominant cultural takes elements of less dominant culture, it is no crime, it's natural.
>>
but is it appropriation in cases like Graceland were Paul Simon traveled to Africa and lived there while working with native musicians, I feel like if there's proper respect for the culture it doesnt seem like a bad thing, in ways it presents a favorable idea of the culture to a wider audience
>>
>>60800886
bad taste
>>
>>60800720
You can't appropiate culture, nobody owns it.
>>
>>60800953
>but is it appropriation in cases like Graceland were Paul Simon traveled to Africa and lived there while working with native musicians
Did he work in a diamond mine to feed his family and possibly not have his hands cut off, or did he stay in a nice hotel with a million dollars in his bank account just in case he needed to leave the country asap?
>>
>>60800934
>exploitation is fine with me!
>>
I think people have an issue with Iggy Azalea because she pretends to be black in order to make money, emulating what she thinks black culture is

Other artists who take INFLUENCE from black artists such as Tom Waits, Talking Heads, could even cite people not in the graphic like Leonard Cohen; I don't think it's explicit appropriation, more the sad exploitation of white privilege ie. white people will often only buy black music if its made by a white person

http://www.youredm.com/2015/05/26/diplo-i-get-a-lot-of-success-because-im-white/
>>
>>60801402
>Other artists who take INFLUENCE from black artists such as Tom Waits,
What influence are we talking here?
>>
File: katyperry.jpg (157 KB, 500x647) Image search: [Google]
katyperry.jpg
157 KB, 500x647
>>60800720
just take off your whiteness goggles for a sec, folks

I feel like this artist made a great job helping white people empathize and understand why cultural appropriation is toxic. check out this rad, socially conscious artwork.

>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/whiteness-goggles-cultural-appropriation-roger-peet_55a7f7d3e4b04740a3df470c
>>
>>60800720
All forms of music are rooted in a culture on some level, so it makes no difference in the end
>>
The Great Curve is the only song on Remain In Light that even sounds like Fela desu senpai.

Also who does Waits appropriate? Blues musicians? If so why did you choose Waits an not literally any other blues rock musician like The Rolling Stones?
>>
File: captain-beefheart.jpg (30 KB, 425x255) Image search: [Google]
captain-beefheart.jpg
30 KB, 425x255
>>60801739
>who does Waits appropriate?
Waits did not only steal from black ppl, but he also stole from this man and obtained greater success due to his neurotypical privilege
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.