[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This album is fucking incredible. Like listening to The Beatles,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 489x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 489x500
This album is fucking incredible.

Like listening to The Beatles, but a billion times better.

It's also amazing when you're stoned, no joke.
>>
link? the links are all dead in the archive
>>
definitely a top 5 summer album. black sea is dope too
>>
File: up-xtc.jpg (99 KB, 460x325) Image search: [Google]
up-xtc.jpg
99 KB, 460x325
>>60793270

the entire thing is on YouTube

(here it is in one link, the entire LP plus 'Dear God', the album single)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85J91FwPrTw

(heres a playlist, minus the Dear God single, although you could just search for it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DRUnkkjkds&list=PLhDYqbEX811TlVOOPyDHAhnfozX_2Psm3

use keepvid.com for either one, whichever format works for you, the entire LP in one video, or you can use keep vid and just rip each song
>>
>>60793194
It's weird... Been on a XTC kick this year and now I see /mu/ talking about them a lot more. Used to be you'd only see them talked about on Brit /mu/.

Fave: English Settlement

>Don't forget about Dukes of Stratosphere
>>
File: dukes-of-stratosphear-braniac.jpg (82 KB, 450x348) Image search: [Google]
dukes-of-stratosphear-braniac.jpg
82 KB, 450x348
>>60793530

i just got into XTC. at first i didnt like them at all, i didnt understand their style, but then it clicked

i really REALLY enjoy their guitar riffs and sense of melody, its quite uncanny like the beatles, beach boys, kinks, etc very sunshine pop-ish

i fucking LOVE the riff in this song, its so bizarre and far out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xswAOJLgTi8
>>
>>60793594
Off of The Big Express

This World Over
https://youtu.be/N2KbstWUBbo

I think it is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Poignant in today's world.
>>
>>60793876
good song, thanks
>>
XTC are fucking amazing, one of my all time favorite bands. Nearly every album they did was incredible, except for the first two and the last one. English Settlement, Skylarking and Apple Venus V1 are obviously their best, though their album Mummer is very underrated. I'm probably the only person on Earth to give it a 5/5
>>
D A D R O C K
A
D
R
O
C
K
>>
this channel has all their albums https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg_hRwoygj6TyvqtauceEdg/
>>
>>60794532
You don't like Drums & Wires?
>>
>>60794576
so??
>>
>>60794599
Drums and Wires is great. White Music and Go2 are their first two albums, not Drums and Wires.
>>
not a perfect album by any means but has one of the best first 4 songs of any album period
>>
>>60794629
I stand... Corrected.
>>
>>60794722
>hasnt listened to the rest
lol the whole album is solid
>>
Mermaid Smiled >>>>> Dear God
I can't stand Dear God but Mermaid Smiled is amazing. It's disappointing how they exchanged them stateside.
>>
>>60795374
i like them both, the entire album is sonically amazing, every song has tons of shit on it
>>
>>60795396
Dear God just rubs me the wrong way even though I'm as secular as they come. I also find it not so interesting compared to the rest of the album. As for my appreciation of XTC, I do like them overall. A good amount in fact. I'm not the hugest XTC fan though and I've yet to make my way through their entire catalog. I dig everything from Drums and Wires to Skylarking, save Mummer because I haven't heard it yet. Nonsuch was really good too. I have a copy of Go2 I've yet to check out. Skylarking's my favorite though.

Now if you want to get into Rundgren I can do that. Huge Todd Rundgren fan. If you haven't you should read up on the recording of Skylarking.
>>
>>60795508
im a fan of rundgren too, as well as Tame Impala, or anything Kevin Parker participates in

i dont think you have to be secular to apperciate Dear God. I am a christian and I enjoy Dear God, quite a bit for its psychedelic orchestrations, tape manipulation, and of course that really brilliant guitar riff/hook. as far as the subject matter i understand doubt and frustration about belief in god all too well
>>
periodically I have difficulty will be stuck in my head for days at a time. Damn great band anon. Listen to their core discography if you want to improve your life.
>>
>>60795584
Hmmm. I'll have to revisit Dear God. I honestly haven't heard it in years. I'm used to Skylarking without it. You make it sound enticing.
>>
>Tfw XTC has so many awesome albums I can't pick a favorite

They're all awesome in in their own ways. Best band with a 20+ year career that never got huge.
>>
>>60795705

well, i dont like the voice of the little kid in the song, i think thats really obnoxious and a terrible way to drive your song home, but other than that, i enjoy it

its a single, its suppose to be catchy and accessible, especially from a psychedelic band

its alright for what it is, it charted well. i actually enjoy songs like Big Day or Grass more for the more surreal psych pop
>>
>>60795351
>doesn't understand plain english
any solid album has highlights and lowlights. skylarking burns its candle fast and slips into overt pretension by 1000 umbrellas, comes back strong with a few tracks (another satellite in particular) but the first 4 tracks will remain the highlight and raison d'etre for the band in my eyes.
>b-but muh sophistipop masterpiece
it's a good album but has very clear faults
>DEAR GOD THO
what an absolute fedora of you
>>
>>60795889

its not 100% perfect this is the best thing ever created, but as far as neo psychedelia is concerned, or psych in general, its a masterstroke

i also still disagree it burns out after the A side singles from Side 1.

thanks for mentioning 1000 rumbrellas, that song has been growing on me tremendously recently
>>
>>60795947
>XTC
>Psychedlia

yeah i think you're out of your depth here
>>
>>60793270
>>60793477
>what
>is
>soulseek
>>
OBJECTIVE XTC POWER RANKING

>Skylarking
>25 O'Clock
>English Settlement
>Psonic Psunspot
>Drums and Wires
>everything else

>>60795984
In no way whatsoever is XTC not classifiable as neo-psychedelia.
>>
File: image.png (309 KB, 1063x921) Image search: [Google]
image.png
309 KB, 1063x921
>>60795984
>>
>>60796033
what is psychedelic about it?

80s pop tunes bookended by noodly diary passages. how does that even come close to psych? ever heard of spacemen 3? how about medusa cyclone? parson sound? some of the imagery might be 'druggy' or something but there's literally nothing psych about their music.
>>
>>60796062
very clear example of tyranny of the majority
>>
>>60796172
Very clear example of you being a butt nugget who doesn't understand psych
>>
>>60796130
I don't know maybe it's the guitars drenched in reverb or delay, effects pedals, or maybe the orchestration soundscapes or surreal lyricism or uncanny melodies

They're psych

The alt cover artwork is literally a woman's pussy with beads and flowers, doesn't get more flower power psych than that
>>
I feel like I'm the only person who really likes wasp star
>>
>>60796195
very clear example of letting a mass of pubescent cunts on the internet distort your opinion on what is or isn't part of, what is really, a very outdated style of art. not to mention the inherent absurdity of equating a numeric list of items to an ethic of creativity that rejects any notion of time, reality or importance.

>>60796235
there might be a few flourishes here and there, but don't you think the whole songcraft is a little too tight and structured to really be compared with, idk, silver apples or something
>>
>>60796387
>the inherent absurdity of equating a numeric list of items to an ethic of creativity that rejects any notion of time, reality or importance
>calling others pubescent while being this fucking pretentious
What are you, five?
>>
>>60796387
Silver apples are for fucking plebs who think liking a moderately unknown experimental electronic band makes them superior

And outdated art style? Lmfao you fucking moron, yeah, halcyon digest isn't one of the best albums of the last 5 years and happens to be soaking in post rock inspired languid psych, ok... let's go a step farther, and I'll venture to guess you can't hear ANY of the psych soul or lounge influence on Kendrick lamas to pimp a butterfly?
>>
>>60796446
aren't we all five? i thought time was just a human construct

>>60796447
>silver apples are for plebs
go home please
>>
>>60796339
I really like it too, anon. Maybe people dismiss it because it's just a set of songs instead of an album-length statement.

Wheel and the Maypole is brilliant.
>>
>>60796506
>i thought time was just a human construct
You're really not helping your case.
>>
>>60796506
Silver apples are very influential but hardly good, their music dated as fuck and shit
>>
>>60796519
Such a great closer
>>
>>60796560
right, because all psych is dated.

i enjoy it a lot though.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.