[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do newer electronic artists dislike being labeled "IDM?"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: aut.jpg (6 KB, 372x135) Image search: [Google]
aut.jpg
6 KB, 372x135
I have noticed that some recent electronic artists don't seem to like associating with IDM. Even if 15 years their music would have had that label. Is it because they want to appear more culturally rooted?
>>
who cares
it's not really up to them to label their music

if autechre hate being called IDM they should stop making it so much
>>
>>60788108
no, more culturally enriched
>>
>>60788142
im not tlaking about autechre idk what they think about it. talking more about people like arca, sd laika etc
>>
>>60788108
IDM is a stupid term because how pretentious it is and sounds

IDM fags are so easy to bait. all you gotta do is mention their precious electronic music shares the same tree as edm and hip hop
>>
>>60788201
also if you wanna get my point
just spend a hour browsing watmm forums
>>
>>60788201
yea i think the term is pretty stupid and pretty much racist. but as someone who hasn't been listening to electronic music for years and years, "IDM" seems like the music that interests me most at this point. I do like some Detroit/minimal techno, footwork, DNB, and Jungle (as well as some more pop-ish edm) but they generally don't seem as focused on designing different sounds. At this point I'm not so interested in how different genres used this beat or this bpm or these samples or all that.
>>
>>60788301
>and pretty much racist
uhh what
>>
This has been the case since the IDM label was first used. Many artists have expressed dislike for the label since it's a little pretentious.
>>
>>60788326
the idea that the white nerd version of black music is superior
>>
>>60788108
I've never heard of an artist endorse the term idm
>>
>>60788365
maybe you should look up where the term IDM comes from senpai
>>
>>60788365
kill yourself

idm is, in name, a distinction from edm. edm is another white cis male genre.
>>
>>60789056

Hello, I'm 12 and what is history?
>>
>>60789056
what
>>
IDM is a pretentious, shit tier term that even older electronic artists hate. Literally none of the original artists associated with the term were like "yeah, we make IDM".
It's also useless as a genre classifier because it says nothing about actual musical elements or influences, and can apparently apply to everything from techno to breakbeat to ambient.
>>
>>60789056
>look mom, im gonna troll them so hard with this epic b8
>>
File: 1404203825486.gif (2 MB, 400x206) Image search: [Google]
1404203825486.gif
2 MB, 400x206
>>60788365
>>
>Intelligent dance music

lol holy shit, I thought it stood for instrumental dance music.
>>
>>60788108
Look at the shit they have to put up with from pleb fags like
>>60788201
>>60788301
>>60788327
>>60788365
>>60789189
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.