[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post albums you really like that you rarely/never see discussed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 28
File: 10016310.jpg (27 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
10016310.jpg
27 KB, 500x376
Post albums you really like that you rarely/never see discussed on /mu/. Let me repeat that real quick:

-ALBUMS THAT YOU RARELY OR NEVER SEE DISCUSSED ON /MU/-

Give a description of the band and the relevant genres/tags of the album so that others can see if it's shit they might be into.

Respond to albums that you see posted that you have heard before and discuss whether you like or dislike them and their place relative to the artists discography and the rough musical movement it was a part of.

Let's see if we can discover new artists this way, if you like anybody search the catalogue for it.

Sound cool?

Here is Les Rallizes Denudes - Mizutani (1970)
>live, noise, psychedelic jamming, japanese

It's by far their most accessible album since the first half is actually very beautiful and slow acoustic/clean jamming that gradually builds towards a jam in the second half which ends with their easiest groove track. It's one of my favorite albums ever.
>>
File: 57782.jpg (37 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
57782.jpg
37 KB, 540x540
Liars - Sisterworld (2010)
>rock with a lot of classical instruments, dark yet not overbearing atmosphere, has some pretty intense aggression to it at times

Liars is a band I follow quite a bit since their albums change their sound every time, but they always have a keen focus on being rhythmic. This album is creepy, it comes out of a very weird place without being unaccessible. It's got a pretty interesting narrative to it and the mysterious atmosphere makes it a really interesting listen.
>>
File: ASeriesOfSneaks.jpg (107 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ASeriesOfSneaks.jpg
107 KB, 300x300
Spoon - A Series of Sneaks (1998)
>90's alternative rock, pixie worship

Spoon is by no means an obscure band. Here in their second LP they capture that of-kilter style that the pixies produces earlier in the decade while at the same time having a pretty independent style. Definitely their most cohesive album in my opinion.
>>
File: homepage_large.55157bca.jpg (73 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.55157bca.jpg
73 KB, 300x300
Women - s/t (2008)

>Indie rock, tons of reverb

Combining a sense of atmosphere and an incredible attention to guitar technique (the pieces can get quite complex) Women's debut LP is a great guitar album while still having some strong and emotional songs.
>>
File: 440px-VGALBUM.jpg (23 KB, 440x455) Image search: [Google]
440px-VGALBUM.jpg
23 KB, 440x455
Vivian Girls - s/t (2008)
>noisy, reverb-soaked, all girl band

Like the Dum Dum Girls but actually capable of putting together an entire album, this album is a brief 22 minutes of fast-paced jangly guitars and reverb-laden vocals. If you're into it, it's pretty good for what it is.
>>
tfw no telecaster waifu
>>
File: 131433366759.jpg (57 KB, 400x392) Image search: [Google]
131433366759.jpg
57 KB, 400x392
William Onyeabor - Crashes in Love (1977)

>Nigerian funk, really groovy, good time afrobeat.

Usually Onyeabor gets mentioned for Atomic Bomb but this is the best album by him in my opinion. All tracks have an incredible groove dominated by strong drumming and bass with trumpets and wah-wah guitars taking a lead role. Also its narrative is super fucking weird.

>>60782551
That's a dude but thanks for your contribution.
>>
File: 41PPG3x2CjL.jpg (31 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
41PPG3x2CjL.jpg
31 KB, 500x500
The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Thank God For Mental Illness (1996)

>folk, psychedelia, sound collage, lo-fi

As always lo-fi, this album has some of their best instrument layering, which creates some incredibly beautiful if at times psychedelic songs always tied together by an entirely-unobtrusive lo-fi recording aesthetic. The sound collage that makes up the second half is definitely worth a listen if you're the patient type.
>>
Dome - s/t (1980)

>experimental, post-punk, atmospheric

A side project to come out of Wire, Dome instead choses to focus on atmosphere and message instead of instrumentation. It is above all about experimenting with sound and texture and if you're into more conceptual post-punk without the need for bumping rhythms it's definitely worth a listen to.
>>
>>60782147
such a great album
>>
File: NOBUNNYFIRSTBLOOD.jpg (14 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
NOBUNNYFIRSTBLOOD.jpg
14 KB, 320x320
Nobunny - First Blood (2010)

>garage rock, dumbass humor, really punchy

So it's not the smartest album or the most ambitious, but if you're starved for decent garage rock this one's got really good guitar tunes with the same trademark retarded sense of humor that Nobunny offers. Sometimes it's nice when music doesn't take itself too seriously.

>>60782926
I agree but you could also post something I'm getting kinda tired here.
>>
File: a2516518854_16.jpg (46 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a2516518854_16.jpg
46 KB, 700x700
Dead Ghosts - s/t (2010)

>garage rock, 1960's pop style

Again a lot of reverb, but with a style reminiscent of Harlem, Dead Ghost's debut focuses on keeping things packed with hooks. Very upbeat and very catchy. If you're looking for a classic pop style guitar album, this is a pretty cool listen.
>>
File: Aidan-Moffat-and-Bill-Wells.jpg (69 KB, 500x499) Image search: [Google]
Aidan-Moffat-and-Bill-Wells.jpg
69 KB, 500x499
>Everything's Getting Older - Bill Wells and Aidan Moffat

A slightly experimental jazz album which details coping with age, the concept of freedom while being in dedicated relationships and other topics. The melodies, lyrics and vocals stick pretty easily in one's head along with the commentary and stories being told that one can actually sympathize and relate to.
>>
File: 0000913032_350.jpg (46 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
0000913032_350.jpg
46 KB, 350x350
Savages - Five Finger Discount (2013)

>plunderphonics, dance music

Not to be confused with the British post-punk outfit. This plunderphonics album is a really good straight-forward listen reminiscent of The Avalanches. It's really groovy, very chill and has a nice sense of humor.
>>
File: tied to a star.jpg (2 MB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
tied to a star.jpg
2 MB, 960x960
>>
File: Magazine_-_Real_Life.jpg (201 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
Magazine_-_Real_Life.jpg
201 KB, 350x350
Magazine - Real Life (1978)

>post-punk, synth-heavy, new wave

Purposefully weird and off-kilter, if you like post-punk lead by synths detailing life in a dystopic Britain, this album benefits from having great chorus hooks and being an all around solid listen.

>>60783140
That sounds really up my alley, even if I'm a bit basic on jazz. I'll definitely give it a listen.

>>60783192
Nigga you could post some information you lazy dick
>>
>>60783272
I'll check your shit out too bruh bruh, I've been really wanting something more punky.
>>
>>60783272
suck my dick bitch
>>
File: MC5_-_Kick_Out_the_Jams.jpg (69 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
MC5_-_Kick_Out_the_Jams.jpg
69 KB, 300x300
MC5 - Kick Out The Jams (1969)

>very energetic proto-punk, music to kick an amplifier to, very the stooges

It's a great jam from start to finish with the proto-punk, 60's garage rock aesthetic and a rough production. Great hooks.

I'm tired. This is my last bump. God fucking damn it /mu/
>>
>>60782849
This sounds super rad, I'll give it a listen.
>>
File: 1280x1280[1].jpg (2 MB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
1280x1280[1].jpg
2 MB, 1280x1280
Eugene Chadbourne with Camper Van Beethoven - Camper Van Chadbourne

>experimental guitarist plays with the highly skilled alt. rock band, lots of tasty jams that defy genre, athough draw from funk, country, and jazz

If you are bored with the same music that /mu/ jerks off constantly, you should check this one out.
>>
File: VARSITY-VARSITY (2015).jpg (1 MB, 1437x1437) Image search: [Google]
VARSITY-VARSITY (2015).jpg
1 MB, 1437x1437
VARSITY - s/t (2015)

>indie rock / pop, female vox

very catchy indie rock/pop with great production and interesting guitar lines. the girl singing has a fantastic voice as well. patrician version of alvvays or best coast
>>
>>60783713
god damn i heard a sample i can get behind these guitar lines thats some delicious shit right there
>>60783631
>>
>>60783097
Really enjoyed this one. Thanks based anon
>>
>>60782147
is this the third disc of the double heads album?
>>
>>60782452
i love women but i like public strain more
>>
File: R-803508-1253812556.jpeg.jpg (96 KB, 600x593) Image search: [Google]
R-803508-1253812556.jpeg.jpg
96 KB, 600x593
Niagara - Niagara (1971)
>technically krautrock, but that's misleading. it's just drums. and you think it's going to be boring. because that sounds boring to you. but it's not. legit 10/10. one of very few.

track 1: https://youtu.be/qlo1XvJXsr0
track 2: https://youtu.be/yXITVJR4yqs
>>
>>60783746
>>60783571
you guys gonna make me cry I'm so happy

>>60783713
I really liked some of it, it's definitely got more going on instrumentally than i expected. something about this west coast jangle pop and worshipping 1960's vocal lines. the voice reminded me of Go Sailor at times, but I'm glad the production's so clean.
>>
>>60783807
>Have: 134
>Want: 988
>Avg Rating: 4.78 / 5
>Last Sold: 18 Oct 15
>Lowest: $111.98
>Median: $145.70
>Highest: $180.13
>>
>>60783759
nope, those were recorded in the 80's. it wasn't uncommon for them to play the same song in different concerts, sort of why The Last One appears in Mizutani, Live 1972 AND '77 Live

However, since they're all jams it's always different.
>>
File: 5531255.jpg (31 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
5531255.jpg
31 KB, 300x300
Africa Express - Africa Express Presents... Terry Riley's in C Mali (2014)

>Minimalism, African Folk Music

Interpretation of minimalist composer Terry Riley's famous piece "In C" with African instruments such as balafon, kalimba, djembe, kora, etc., instead of conventional orchestral instruments.
>>
File: ds.png (1 MB, 862x858) Image search: [Google]
ds.png
1 MB, 862x858
>>
File: nearest suns.jpg (283 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
nearest suns.jpg
283 KB, 1200x1200
Brad Laner - Nearest Suns

He's the guy from the shoegazer band Medicine. This one is
>Psychedelic
>Very noisey
>Neat
>whoosh
>Kirkirlershiiick

He's not one of the best guitarists out there, but he has a very unique sound imo.

This one basically sounds like a heavy mescaline trip to me.
>>
The Eastern Sea - Plague
>indie pop, less whiney Death Cab with more varied instrumentation, strong lyrics, both upbeat and melancholy

The Eastern Sea are from Austin, TX, they have an interesting blend of more straightforward pop and folksy meandering. Concerned with having both lyrical and musical idiosyncrasies be telling of the underlying emotional content The Eastern Sea are a very rewarding listen without being overbearing.
>>
File: plague.jpg (42 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
plague.jpg
42 KB, 700x700
>>60784080
Ooops. Also there should be a link in the archive I posted awhile ago still around.
>>
File: homepage_large.fd0db5bd.jpg (57 KB, 319x319) Image search: [Google]
homepage_large.fd0db5bd.jpg
57 KB, 319x319
Lizzy Mercier Descloux - Press Color (1979)

>disco, avant-garde, covers of the mission impossible theme

man, french disco went to a weird place in the late 70's. Some songs are great dance tracks, others are more 70's avant garde. every once in a while the mission impossible theme plays. seriously, this album is incredibly interesting if you wanna get into alternative disco.
>>
File: Hadestown.jpg (41 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Hadestown.jpg
41 KB, 600x600
Anais Mitchell - Hadestown
>folk ballads, singer-songwriter, folk-opera concept album based around the Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice

As far as the more modern folk-indebted-singer-songwriters are concerned, think what you want: this album is an incredible listen. While it doesn't introduce anything "new", especially if one is familiar with this style of '40's-'60s Americana-rooted music, the over arcing vision and atmosphere created is immediate and very human. Taken as a single work with characters sung by Mitchell herself, Justin Vernon, Ani DiFranco, and Greg Brown, the album shines with it's story telling and well recording yet rustic instrumentation.
>>
>>60782147
ill check this out op thanks
>>
File: starfish.jpg (50 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
starfish.jpg
50 KB, 500x500
ok I can do this

The Church - Starfish
>80s jangle pop

Think a more psychedelic Smiths without annoying Morrissey pretension. Pretty much all the songs are great, but Reptile in particular is one of my favorite songs of all time.
>>
Crucifucks - Let Our Will Be Done

>hardcore punk, strange, vocals are like nothing else

From Michigan, the vocalist had borderline personality disorder and when he was in the band he had already had kids and a wife. His family is very wealthy but he live a suburban slum. His cousin and the bassist of the band, I am 90% sure was in Sonic Youth not sure if he recorded anything with them. Album on Alternative Tentacles, Jello Biafra's of the Dead Kennedys label.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y44EaXu1U98 That is the album but they put the wrong name.
>>
>>60784395
thank you so much this album is gorgeous
>>
File: rodrigo y gabriela.jpg (61 KB, 500x443) Image search: [Google]
rodrigo y gabriela.jpg
61 KB, 500x443
Rodrigo y Gabriela - s/t
>Flamenco rock, instrumental rock

The only thing this album doesn't have going for it is the cover art. Made by two former heavy metal guitarists, this is a very cool acoustic flamenco record that your guitar-playing mates will probably love at first listen. Tamacun is a particular standout track.
>>
File: folder.jpg (147 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
147 KB, 1000x1000
Zygosis, which is his first fulltime recording, starts with a witty beat track mixing high-pitched shakespeare monologues over syncopated jazz loops, and quickly convinces you that the deconstruction of stolen sound material (sourced from cabaret, orchestral music, rock, poetry...) may grow into something utterly personal and unique - most extraordinary examples are tracks 3, 4 & 6.

After this tour-de-force, the listener is allowed a short break, while the cd-player skipps through the almost empty regions of track 9 - 22 (microscopic shards of static, lasting only for a few seconds each).

Those are quickly followed by a very powerful and dramatic piece (agora) that bears an almost recognizable song structure. the cd ends rather quietly with three unsymetrical ambient pieces followed by a short and funny epilogue.

There’s nothing more to add, except that ’zygosis’ is probably one of the most brilliant achievements in musical ’piratage’ so far, and first of all - regardless to it’s historical relevance - it’s simply beautiful.
>>
>>60783395
This is one of my favorite albums dude
>>
File: Estelle_AOM_FinalCover_HR.jpg (150 KB, 1425x1425) Image search: [Google]
Estelle_AOM_FinalCover_HR.jpg
150 KB, 1425x1425
Estelle- All Of Me (2012)

>R&B, with bits of reggae, rap, and some poppy beats and choruses

This album is very accessible to any given listener, as there are a variety of styles represented throughout. From R&B ballads to somewhat aggressive rap, and not to mention some very catchy, uplifting pop tracks, this album has something to offer anyone who is a fan of any of those styles. This album is much more diverse than any of her other releases, which is a big plus in my book. No matter what manner of song she performs, she pulls it off very cleanly and beautifully. With several A-list guest appearances, it goes to show how well she is at complementing multiple voices and styles. With guests like Janelle Monae, Chris Brown, and Rick Ross, it only reinforces the fact that the album has something to offer any R&B/pop lover. It's her most replayable album in my opinion. I've listened to it several times, and it never gets old. However, this is clearly a single driven album, as opposed to a concept based one, as is common in the pop industry. That being said, all of the songs are well done enough to where I usually don't skip over anything.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.